Female clients dressing in seductive clothing

Postby pretty eyes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:02 pm

Why do some women 'dress up' to go to see their therapist?

A male therapist I know says they come in in stilletos mini skirts and cleveage showing tops

Why on earth do they do this?

What are they trying to achieve?
pretty eyes

Postby jurplesman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:42 am

pretty eyes wrote:Why do some women 'dress up' to go to see their therapist?

A male therapist I know says they come in in stilletos mini skirts and cleveage showing tops

I suppose they are trying to appear attractive! Or it may be in the eyes of the beholder!
jurplesman

Postby Mark1966 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:04 pm

:D lol
Mark1966

Postby Purplesky » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:43 pm

I had a male therapist. Sometimes I did dress up a bit - i'm talking a bit of make-up, wash my hair kinda thing rather than stilletos and a leather skirt.

Why? I suppose i didn't meet many men in my normal-circumstances. It was nice to make myself presentable instead of slobbing around being depressed, but I didn't fancy him particularly and i would have been Urrghh if he thought it was me being seductive for him!
Purplesky

Postby suddengreen » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:28 pm

LOL..if all female clients kept this up, their therapists would need therapists ;)
suddengreen

Postby Purplesky » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Seriously though, there are some well-documented reasons for truly seductive clients, i cannot remember them right now. But I think explanations will be found in many therapy books.
Purplesky

Postby Hmm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 am

Maybe ask them?
Hmm

Postby PsychObsessed » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Maybe because to them you appear to be this professional successful male figure who they feel compelled to draw sexual attention from?
PsychObsessed

Postby niknikb » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:36 am

In my theories and processes of counseling course, we talked about the tendancy for clients to become attracted to their therapists, often in a non-harmful way. They see their therapist as a strong, successful person in their lives who listens to them and understands them. It is easy to understand how this happens so often. The important part as a therapist is to be aware of how it is effecting you and your client, and be sure it does not cause and harm.
niknikb

Postby Mark1966 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:53 pm

suddengreen wrote:

LOL..if all female clients kept this up, their therapists would need therapists ;)
lol :wink:
Mark1966

Postby shabby888 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:35 am

perhaps they are waiting for you to challenge or confront them about it...attention seeking..or they just Like to dress up when they go out and that makes them feel confident ...or perhaps your feelings of discomfort are more prominent...either way it's all ok....
shabby888

Postby Mark1966 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:19 pm

niknikb wrote:In my theories and processes of counseling course, we talked about the tendancy for clients to become attracted to their therapists, often in a non-harmful way. They see their therapist as a strong, successful person in their lives who listens to them and understands them. It is easy to understand how this happens so often. The important part as a therapist is to be aware of how it is effecting you and your client, and be sure it does not cause and harm.
how do you handle clients that get attracted to you. :D
Mark1966

Postby striveocw » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:31 pm

There are always 2 extreme situations. Either they like you or hate you.
striveocw

Postby improvedconfidence.com » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:20 am

Maybe they dress like that anyway, not just for the therapist!

Otherwise it probably makes them feel a little more in control. Seeing a therapist can make people feel very vulnerable and dressing that way can help some women feel much more confident in themselves, therefore not so vulnerable.

Just a thought really,
Kate.
improvedconfidence.com

Postby Pufflet » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:10 pm

I'm one of those people who gets dressed up to visit her therapist. Not necessarily what I'd call seductive, but definitely better than I would dress to go shopping. Why? For one thing, I don't have many opportunities to get dressed up where I live. My therapist is a woman and I still dress up becaue it's a sign of respect in my eyes and makes me feel better about myself too. For confidence? Absolutely! Dress for success in a way.
Pufflet

Next