Voraphilia

Psychology-related discussions or questions that don't fit neatly into any other forum.

Postby Kieron Christie » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:34 pm

Hi im new on this forum.

I was looking into the subject of cannibalism when i stumbled upon this paraphilia which i had not heard of beforehand. I've spoken to some 'voraphiles' before (i risked visiting some of websites dedicated to vore). According to many of them voraphilia relates to any live being consuming another live being. So cannibalism would fall under it but voraphilia seems to be a lot more broad than simply human eat human. One of them told me he watched his pet snake eat mice. Also, a lot of it seems to be pura fantasy: one man swallowing another man whole and alive and then proceeding to digest them while they still struggle to break free; some could fantasise about being eaten alive by large make-believ monsters etc.
However some of them seemed to offer even broader explanations for it; suggesting that voraphilia could be anything to do with eating, stuffing yourself and so on with something which could be as harmless as cakes. The edges of it seem to be a little fuzzy and i was wondering if anybody knew anything more about it. I'd be very grateful for any help offered, thanks.
Kieron Christie

Postby niall » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:11 am

Kieron ,

I've never heard of this but the term Voraphilia could probably derived from...

a. vorare which is latin for: to devour. See voracity, voracious etc. and
b. philia which means: love of, friend of, etc. See mysophilia, necrophilia etc.

So the term could be used in the broad sense that you suggest.

But then, I am only guessing.

Regards,
Niall
niall

Postby Kieron Christie » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:11 pm

Yes that would make a lot of sence since it has also been called 'vorarephilia' and 'phagolophilia' ('phagos' meaning to eat). Apparently 'phagolophilia' is the more correct term for it but i find that it is even harder to find information on that.

I'm just wondering why a paraphilia as extreme as this could be so rarely heard of. Cannibals can seek to gain sexual gratification from absorbing the flesh of others (I'm kind of seeing this as a form of sadism - they see it as the ultimate exploitation). Plus there have been plenty of killers who saw it that way. Eddie Gein springs to mind here. I would have assumed that it was quite well known is all.
Kieron Christie

Postby Michael Lank » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:17 pm

What is a "Vorarephile?"

A vorarephile is someone who has intense interest in or is sexually aroused by one creature eating another. The eating involved can be something as "soft" as a frog swallowing a fly, or as "hard" as a lion tearing its prey apart with claws and teeth. Cannibalism, animals eating each other, amoebas engulfing other microscopic creatures... it's all there, depending on the individual's interest. A vorarephile's emotional reaction to their fantasies is almost always erotic, but can vary from gentle, joyful surrender, to the adrenaline rush of panic and pain. Vorarephiles may enjoy the thrill of the hunt as either predator or prey.

The most correct term for this fetish is actually phagophilia (from the Greek "phagos", meaning eat), but the term "vore" has been used for some time now, and people are familiar with it.
Michael Lank

Postby Foxby » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:00 pm

'Ello. I myself am a voraphile and joined for the sole purpose of replying to this thread. If I don't write an entire essay, I haven't done voraphilia justice. xP

Anyway, as people have said, voraphilia is a desire to eat or be eaten whole and alive. The other 'harmless' food-- cakes and such-- is a different fetish known as 'stuffing.' Most stuffing stories involve cleaning out a buffet and such. Anyway.

Vore can come from many sources, and very few voraphiles actually know WHY they like it, myself included. Even a lot of psychologists are baffled.

Anyway, vores HATE to be called 'cannibals,' because we'll argue that about 99% of the time, the species are different, even if it's a muttgirl eating a catgirl (thus, both are mostly human).

Only about 50% (and yes, I'm pulling these numbers out of thin air, or personal experience) actually like it 'erotically.' I will confess-- I'm one of them. The other 50% merely think of it as a friendly glomp, almost like a hug from the inside.

People also have unique preferences as to predator and prey-- some love nagas (people that are snake from the waist down) as pred (rather common) or perhaps mermaids as pred OR prey.

Vore is almost a different fetish for every person, but it's safe to say that most like soft (swallowing, no chewing), sexy vore, digestion optional.

HA. Thought that was the end. But no. That brings me to my next point: digestion. Digestion is pretty much split around 50/50. Some like it, some like 'containment vore,' and some like to be digested, but reformed.

Sometimes a person's voraphilic taste will come from an inferiority complex and a liking for the other gender to be superior, which will most of the time result in a prey-loving vorie, while some like to be dominant and superior, strong, which will usually like to be pred-using. There are also many that don't mind doing either.

If a person is accepting, it is possible to convert them to voraphilism (though, don't get me wrong, we're not a religion, but you get my point, no?). This I've done with my girlfriend, which works out great for me. ^.^;; Awright, I'm done.
Foxby

Postby dr4g0nl0v3r » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:30 am

:shock: WOW I never had a name for it. I just made an account just to reply lol. nice to now there are others like me.

But personaly I'm ether way (being swallowed or swallowing)

I have a weakspot for dragons too :D
dr4g0nl0v3r

Postby dr4g0nl0v3r » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:30 am

:shock: WOW I never had a name for it. I just made an account just to reply lol. nice to now there are others like me.

But personaly I'm ether way (being swallowed or swallowing)

I have a weakspot for dragons too :D
dr4g0nl0v3r

sry

Postby dr4g0nl0v3r » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:31 am

post twice :? sry
dr4g0nl0v3r

Postby Sluagh » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:28 am

I wonder what the fantasie about being swollowed whole by anotheer human being stands for - maybe a wish to merge with another human being again. Maybe a wish to become one again. As s/he was before birth. Maybe the wish to be back in the womb.
Sluagh

Postby icecoldheat21 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:34 pm

This is the first time I've heard the word and read a discription.
I'm still slightly confused.

So, vores like to watch living things eat other living things, right? I got that.
But they also fantasize about being eaten? Or eating something else thats living? Just humans? Do they fantasize about being eaten by a shark, lets say or anythign else non-human?

I admit it's cool to watch a snake devour an egg but I think this topic goes alot farther!

If anyone can clear out my confusion, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
icecoldheat21
Preferred Member

Postby JAKJRF » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:48 am

Where’s the Nutritional Psychologist when you need one?
JAKJRF

Postby Sluagh » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:56 am

*chuckle*
Sluagh

Postby Tadakatsu » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:48 am

I am also a voraphile, i enjoy the fetish because I have a desire, to be nurtured, or cared for. And what better way to protect and care for someone when they are within your own being eh? I always fantasize about being within the belly of a beautiful woman, or perhaps one of those nice half dog half woman cross breeds. Im a member at more than 5 different vore sites. (yes I too joined just to reply to this)
Tadakatsu

Postby JanusWaze » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:03 am

I hope they find a cure for this someday.

Also, furries.
JanusWaze
Preferred Member

Postby ahmcn1 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:42 pm

The definition I think changes depending on whether you are using it in a discussion of paraphilias (In a psychological clinical setting) or as an activity. The basic definition seems to be an attraction to unusual consumption, however as a paraphilia it is a sexual attraction to unusual consumption. The attraction is the key component so it doesn't matter if people are acting on or just fantasizing about it.
ahmcn1

Next

Return to Psychology