Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Psychology -> Attention seeking friend This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Attention seeking friend

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Psychology Resources

Psychology articles

Free Self-Help articles

Uncommon Knowledge Psychology Newsletter

Popular Psychology Book Reviews

Psychology Training Courses

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
JRGiger

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:56 pm

Attention seeking friend    Reply with quote  

I have a friend whos been seeking attention from me and her other various friends. She seems to be feigning symptoms from schizophrenia (such as hallucinations, hearing voices.) and what may be alien hand syndrome (not bieng able to control her hand, though at this time she says it's only not bieng able to move it occasionly) She says that there are voices that tell her to kill herself and that they can casue uneareable pain when she doesn't obey them, they manifest as several voices whisper simultainiously. (she described it as similar to when people talk in parcel tounge in harry potter) She also said that the voices are capable of controlling her to a mild extent, but that it's growing aswell. I know she hasn't had anything near a stable relationship with her mother, so it seems most likely that lack of attention from her mother is causing this. I'm going along with it for now, but I want to know if it is possible to actually cure this behaviour alltogether.

Pufflet

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:45 am

JR, That really sounds like a complicated set of symptoms. Do you really think that a lack of attention from her mother is causing this? Young people and kids act out to be heard but this doesn't sound like a run of the mill situation at all, if it's real that is. If you genuinely believe she's trying to put one over on you, I'd confront her and say look, I understand you've been going through a rough time but you are alienating the people who'd like to help you the most with type of behaviour. If you don't get help I just can't support this anymore. I don't want to judge because I haven't met her and well, I don't want to judge. If the symptoms are genuine, she really needs help. If the symptoms are put on and fake, she really needs help of a kind a non-professional isn't qualified to deal with. Either way, she must have a desire to get better and you can't do it for her. If she's looking for attention with such extreme measures, don't give it or it reinforces the idea that it's working.
JRGiger

Post Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:03 pm

Well, I confrotned my friend about it and it didn't take much convincing to get her to agree, she also agrees on the casue. Only thing is we're not to sure what to do now. We dont know what the next step is we need to take to actually stop her doing it.
briary

Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Perhaps see if she will seek professional help just in case she does have a psychiatric condition. She could be agreeing with your version of events because she wants attention or because she has a problem and is unable to seek help for herself.

Just a different view.

Karen

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: