Questions on your free course from hypnosisdownloads.com

Postby Terry Betteridge » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:07 pm

Hallo!

I recently subscribed to your free course "How to use hypnosis to help yourself and others" from hypnosisdownloads.com. Received all the lessons, - the last one, about a week ago, - and downloaded the associated materials.

Before anything else, please can I say how very grateful I am. Thankyou!

I'm still working slowly through the earlier lessons. And I currently have some minor queries arising from the material in lesson 2.

Question: Is this forum a sensible place where I could ask questions to try and clarify some details from the content of this course, please?

Terry Betteridge
Terry Betteridge

Likes Received: 0

Postby Michael Lank » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:19 pm

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the forum.

If you have any queries about the free course, or about hypnosis generally, please ask.

Best wishes.
Michael Lank

Postby Terry Betteridge » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:20 pm

Thankyou! Can I start with an easy one then, these details are probably easily answered:

Lesson 2 introduces and describes seven language patterns, as you will know: Nominalizations, Embedded commands, Illusory choice, Presuppositions, Adjunctive suggestions, Confusional language, Metaphor and analogy.

I think I've got some idea about the first four of these. But for the rest, when I look at the accompanying pdf of the sample hypnosis script of the audio download, I see some differences between what that lists as example language patterns, compared with the text in the lesson:

1) The pdf script mentions and highlights "Dependent suggestions". Are those the same as "Adjunctive suggestions", but just by another name?

Where these are marked in this script, they seem to occur immediately following presuppositions rather than actual truisms. But does that make any real difference in practice, or do you think they would have much the same effect, whatever kind of statement they are tacked onto?

2) The pdf of the script introduces a couple of examples of something which it calls a "conscious/unconscious split". This looks like something new or different, and I can't find it described anywhere else. What is a conscious / unconscious split, please, and what does it do here?

3) There is no explicit mention in the pdf of the script, of confusional language, nor of metaphor and analogy. But I can see at least one example of wording that might pass for confusion ("can extend more and more ... drifting around the mind"), and perhaps a few examples of metaphor (eg "invisible quilt"). Would that be right, could those examples have been marked in this way?

Or am I paying too much attention to the detail here.

I have another different question on another aspect to ask, as well as these above, but as I guess that may be harder to answer, perhaps that's enough for now.

Grateful for any help you may be able to offer.

Terry
Terry Betteridge

Postby Michael Lank » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:55 pm

Hi Terry,

Great to see that you're taking such a close interest in hypnosis.

1) Adjunctive suggestions are different from dependent suggestions; probably best illustrated by examples.

An adjunctive suggestion is a truism followed by a suggestion that are connected in a sentence with 'and', but has no logical link to the truism:

'Your feet are resting on the floor (truism) and you can begin to relax (suggestion).'

The two parts can also be linked by for example 'as' or 'when':

'As you sit there smiling, you can begin to relax more deeply',

Dependent suggestions are when one suggestion relies on another suggestion:

'As you begin to notice those pleasant sensations beginning to spread, you can feel more comfortable with those old memories.

2) The conscious/unconscious split or 'splitting' is the separation of conscious awareness from unconscious, instinctive functioning. A naturally occuring example is with an irrational phobia - consciously the person knows that the phobia is irrational, but the unconscious mind triggers a phobic response.

In hypnosis this can be used to create greater dissociation, or in making suggestions for the unconscious part of the mind.

3) No explicict mention of confusional language? That's confusing!

Confusional language can take many forms, e.g. ambiguity - 'part of you mind can wonder (sounds like 'wander').'

Run on sentences 'That relaxation can spread throughout your body and mind you notice that relaxation spreading' The end of one sentence is the start of another.

'You don't have to try or to try not try, and the part of you that is trying can try not to try' - Just plain confusing.

'is it right that your right hand is more relaxed than the left, or is it the hand that's left that knows more about relaxation? Is that right?'

I wonder just how quickly you'll begin to notice yourself using more and more of the hypnotic language patterns, without even thinking about it, or not thinking about it, that can happen all by itself, and as part of you relaxes another part of you can make new learnings and connections that you hadn't previously been aware of and you don't have to try, or to try not to try it can happen all by itself, as you relax a little deeper, in a moment or right now.'
Michael Lank

Postby Terry Betteridge » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:34 am

Michael, that's cleared up the confusion wanderfully. Thankyou for such a comprehensive answer.

My other query for now is more to do with the practice. Maybe it's like "how long is a piece of string", (or a "cart without the horse" question, if you remember the example Roger Elliott quotes in lesson 1) so there mayn't be a definite answer except Wait and See.

Practising on myself. As suggested, I tried making my own, slightly edited, version of the audio script from lesson 2. When I record and then listen to that, even though it's only by me on my modest equipment, I'm surprised to discover how it seems to work. After ten or fifteen minutes I've drifted off somehow "miles away", and though I think I've been listening to it, I can't positively recall having heard large chunks of what I know must have been playing back only a few moments before.

But "how I feel", is a very subjective judgement. So the question is: Is there any better way to know if the hypnosis is really working as intended? And to judge how well (or otherwise) I'm doing or responding?

For example, how do I know that I'm not just dropping off to sleep? I don't really need lots of practice, if that's all I'm managing to achieve, because I'm quite good enough at that already :)

I realise this isn't a controlled situation, and I'm not looking for anything precise. But would it be helpful at some stage to have some sort of indication, - especially if it did turn out to suggest that something might be happening correctly. Is that possible at this early stage, is there something simple, - better than my unaided guesswork - to get any idea at all of the effectiveness or otherwise of what I'm doing?

Or should I just accept that if the result seems plausible, it will probably do for now. And wait until I've learnt enough to eventually join my particular cart and horse together, so to speak, and then see what (if anything) happens?

As before, grateful for any help you may be able to offer.

Terry
Terry Betteridge

Postby Runner » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:27 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a free video of a complete hypnosis session? Nothing too deep and can be on any subject.

I have listened to many audio sessions, but would like to see a video.
Runner

Return to Hypnosis