Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Psychology -> I can't handle my job, I just don't know what to do at all This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

I can't handle my job, I just don't know what to do at all

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Psychology Resources

Psychology articles

Free Self-Help articles

Uncommon Knowledge Psychology Newsletter

Popular Psychology Book Reviews

Psychology Training Courses

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
Pikeman85

Post Mon May 03, 2010 8:17 am

I can't handle my job, I just don't know what to do at all    Reply with quote  

I don't know what to do with my job. I've been working about 9-10 months at this job, and they recently moved me into a new position after having me sit around bored for quite a while.

I understand the basics of it, but the job is data entry, but for critical, critical information. I'm supposed to read and understand the documents, but I just find the job so completely boring and unfulfilling. I just find myself not able to work for hours at a time. I've been sitting here at my desk since 9 pm, wanting to get caught up before our 8 am meeting. It's 1 am. I'm tired, I hate this. I moved 2,000 miles from home, from everyone I knew, a week and a half after getting this job offer because I needed a job, this job is just so utterly draining and I can't concentrate on it.

I've got a bachelor's degree, I want to be a researcher (I didn't have the money to apply to get into grad school after I graduated college) and I'm stuck 2,000 miles from anyone I've ever known, alone, for almost a year, now putting documents into a computer. It takes time, I have to concentrate on it, and it is so utterly tedious.

I should be happy for having a job in this economy, but I work long hours (I used to work longer, originally they wanted me in 6-7 days a week, sometimes staying until 8 pm). and I'm just tired. Especially of this part of the position. I just want to pack up my stuff, so many times and start driving away from this city. I hate being so alone. I never meet people - I don't know any spots, I try to find clubs and all that, but I'm always so tired and drained. My apartment is a mess because I never find time to clean because every moment I'm not working I'm trying to dull the pain of having to be at work so much, and so far from everyone.

I'm falling apart and I just don't know what to do Sad I need money, I mean, I have a car payment, student loans, but I'm just so tired. I don't do anything to get out of my situation, I feel hopeless. I want to quit, I'm so utterly depressed by this. I was less sad working at a Dominoes pizza after graduation, than I am here. I am paid alright, too (40k/yr), but this job requires concentration on tasks I can't, there's no creativity. It's the utter absence of creativity.

I need help, I desperately need help Sad

EDIT: I want to mention, more coherently, I was a good student. I worked in a research lab too. I just, this job has no interest to me. There's no fit with my skills. It's like the opposite of my skills job. Entirely rote, but not the rote you can just turn your brain off. It's rote WHILE REQUIRING YOU to know about the document. Not to mention the archaic system that the boss won't allow changing despite the fact that it makes no sense and has had like three or four people customize it. I need to get out of here. Sad

Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Post Mon May 03, 2010 10:19 am

don't you have paid holidays? You must be able to take some leave. Sounds like you need a break. There are always other options out there. You just need to stop thinking about how miserable the job is making you and look for them. If you are concentrating on how much you hate your job then you will have no energy for anything else. if you were more productive would you still have to work such long hours? Are you contracted to stay there until 8pm or is that your choice?
Birdy76

Post Mon May 03, 2010 5:45 pm

I can relate to how you are feeling. Last year I gave up my job in a research lab as I felt like I needed a fresh start. I decided that I wanted to move into a different sector and talked my way into what I thought would be a great job, but to get the position and salary I wanted I had to move to a different city. I soon discovered that I was spending most of my days sat infront of a computer, doing work that was EXTREMELY repetitive and restrictive but which required very high levels of accuracy, precision and test knowledge (analysing patient samples - absolutely no room for error or else potential law suits abound!). I found it exhausting and stressful having to concentrate so fully on something that was so repetitive and boring with no room for creativity and a requirement to follow endless rules and regulations to the absolute letter. I was also very lonely in the new city, I found it difficult to integrate with my new colleagues and I had long days with a big workload. I felt that I never had time to relax or to make new friends or pursue other interests. In the end I became very depressed and realised my health was more important so I resigned after six months. It was a very tough decision but I don't regret it. I just wasn't suited to that type of work, no matter what the salary! I've moved back to my home city and I don't have anything lined up yet Confused but I feel so much better. I'm not looking back Smile
Pikeman85

Post Mon May 03, 2010 9:09 pm

I'm not working until 8 pm as often. But I get behind easily - staying productive is hard for me with this job.

My job sounds VERY VERY similar to the second poster's old job. It's not a job for me, at all. I don't mind working hard - I just can't deal with this job. I don't have any coworkers I really get along with (most of my coworkers are over 40, my boss is 79 and feels offices should be run like the 1960s)
Joobles
MVP
MVP

Post Mon May 03, 2010 9:19 pm

Have you looked for other work? Either in the town you're in now or in your home town?
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Post Mon May 03, 2010 9:31 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Pikeman85
I'm not working until 8 pm as often. But I get behind easily - staying productive is hard for me with this job.

It's worth being productive just so that you can leave early and look for other jobs. Can't you let that thought motivate you to get on with it? You won't feel any better until you start making an effort to look for something else. Staying late will just mean you have less energy to search for new jobs. So it's in your interest to just get on with the work and leave on time. Cant you get in early instead of staying late?
Birdy76

Post Tue May 04, 2010 3:28 pm

This thread has been good for me as it has made me realise that there are other people out there who are not suited to that type of work. I was surrounded by people who had been in that job for years, doing the same thing day in, day out and most of them loved it! Shocked. I knew I was a square peg in a round hole. That said, a lot of friends gasped in surprise when I announced I had quit with nothing lined up, as on the outside it looked like an amazing opportunity and a very good job to cling to in this economic climate. They thought I'd gone nuts, but few realise just how awful it can be to be so mismatched to a role. I would start looking around for other jobs now if I was you. Just knowing in your mind that you are planning your escape should make things a little easier. You owe it to yourself not to stay there longer than necessary if you know it isn't for you.
studentofthegame
Preferred Member

Post Tue May 04, 2010 6:43 pm

take some time out to check some articles by Geoff Thompson. There will be specific articles on how to escape from the job/life you hate into the one you want. if you like what you read, he's done some great books.

www.geoffthompson.com

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: