animals and trance

Postby starship » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:44 am

Is it possible to put animals into some form of hypnotic trance? One of my cats is a bit obsessive/compulsive about making burying behaviour around his food dish. I use a spray hormone around the area to calm him but would like to know if there's any form of hypnosis that could be used.

starship
starship
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 0

Postby Anthony Jacquin » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:37 pm

Yes it is possible to put some animals into a trance. I cannot remember if cats are featured but you will find a nice right up of methods to hypnotise chickens, frogs and others in Ormond McGills Encyclopeodia of stage hypnosis.

The chicken for example: Grab a chicken and put its head on the ground so its head is on the floor , beak forward, get a piece of chalk and draw a line forward from its beak. The bird goes into a trance, doesnt move.

I have certainly had a cat in a state of body catalepsy as i am sure most cat owners have at some point. Or does that jus make me a bit strange...

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Postby Anthony Jacquin » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:40 pm

It just occured to me that I have mentioned cats can go into a trance, I am not so sure this can be used therapeutically to stop them burrying around their bowl. It is natural behaviour for them. Because they are not managing to bury anything or hide signs they have eaten they keep doing it. Thats my theory anyway. Try feeding them outside.

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Postby Roger Elliott » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:17 pm

You can put small dogs into trance by flipping them onto their back into a beanbag. :lol: (by triggering the re-orientation response). I works for other animals like guinea pigs too. I wouldn't like to be the one to try it with a cat.
Roger Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby starship » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:39 pm

I have certainly had a cat in a state of body catalepsy as i am sure most cat owners have at some point. Or does that jus make me a bit strange...

Ant[/quote]

Is it not so that living with a cat or two makes anybody a bit strange?

yours catatonically

starship
starship
MVP
MVP