Male sexual development - why do men hold their crotch?

Postby MaxOlesker » Mon May 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi, I'm researching into male sexuality and wondered if anyone knew of any interesting research conducted on why men tend to hold their crotch? Any citations would be very much appreciated! Feel free to be creative!

x
MaxOlesker

Postby SonnyB » Mon May 10, 2010 4:37 pm

I don't have any references, sorry. I did some looking, and I could not find any viable intel.

For what it's worth, I'm a guy, and here is why I grab my crotch:
1. It's a comfortable feeling
2. Women can't enjoy the simple pleasure of crotch holding
3. It's funny to see who looks at your crotch when you do it
4. It's a good reminder to yourself of what your working with
5. It informs people that you have active reproductive organs
6. Sometimes you may have to reposition your goods to avoid uncomfortable situations (such as sitting on them)
7. Itches do occur and are most unpleasant
8. Doctors do it to multiple men a day, and I don't need a PHD to do it to myself
9. The pros out weight the cons

On a more serious note, and more sexual.
To my understanding a commonly accepted theory on this issue is that men do it because it's their way of asserting the manhood they know they lack to one another. This goes hand-in-hand with sexual insecurities. So in a nutshell... crotch grabbing only applies to men who either have a legitimate itch, or are trying to overcompensate.
SonnyB

Postby super47 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:41 pm

I don't know where you are from.... but around here (Montreal) the only guys I see grabbing their crotch in public are weirdos.
I may scratch when I get an itch, though if others can see me I prefer to just live with the itch than look like I am holding my junk in public.
I think you are seeing very insecure men who are constantly checking to make sure they actually have something down there
super47

Postby Joobles » Mon May 10, 2010 7:14 pm

PML this thread made me laugh!!!

My husband doesn't fiddle with his nethers in public but at home he often holds it whilst watching the telly, it drives me nuts (scuse the pun lol)

I too would be interested in any findings of your study!!!
Joobles
MVP
MVP

Postby Captain_Stan » Mon May 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Joobles wrote:PML this thread made me laugh!!!

My husband doesn't fiddle with his nethers in public but at home he often holds it whilst watching the telly, it drives me nuts (scuse the pun lol)
Now that REALLY IS halarious!
why men tend to hold their crotch?

My answerer would be "because we can," as in "why do dogs lick themselves?"
Captain_Stan

Postby aaothead » Mon May 10, 2010 8:26 pm

I have to go along with insurcurity or to make people long. Other tan a ligit reason so as comfort or a itch.
aaothead

Postby lucidpsi » Sat May 22, 2010 7:57 am

Ok... to top the holding, my ex used to do this weird tugging thing with his. He'd lay in bed watching tv with me doing it and for a while I didn't pay attention. But after a while it was just nerveracking for me to see this grown man tuggin on himself.

Evenso, I liken it to my mother lightly pulling her hair. She's done it for years.

I think it must have something to do with stress or nerves.

While I think it may be a bad example, I think it may have something to do with the same part of the brain that creates the "restless leg"...which btw I've had for years & it's only a plague on others like snoring is. It causes no other issues, but is stronger when I'm stressed.
lucidpsi

Postby theforsaken » Mon May 24, 2010 12:49 pm

MaxOlesker wrote:Hi, I'm researching into male sexuality and wondered if anyone knew of any interesting research conducted on why men tend to hold their crotch? Any citations would be very much appreciated! Feel free to be creative!

x
I'm a 22 yr old guy and I cant say that I have ever stood and just.. held my crotch.
theforsaken

Return to Psychology