Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Psychology -> When someone pats you on your shoulder - What does it mean? This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

When someone pats you on your shoulder - What does it mean?

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Psychology Resources

Psychology articles

Free Self-Help articles

Uncommon Knowledge Psychology Newsletter

Popular Psychology Book Reviews

Psychology Training Courses

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
SeaDonkey

Post Sat May 29, 2010 1:25 pm

When someone pats you on your shoulder - What does it mean?    Reply with quote  

Being mildly autistic I'm terrible at reading non verbal cues. What does it mean when someone you don't know pats you on your shoulder as they're talking to you? Is this some kinda unconscious assertion of dominance over the person they're patting on the shoulder or is it a gesture of friendship? The reason I ask is because I've noticed it in people who display lots of confidence from the start and they act like they're my friend and although some of them have turned out to be good friends in the long run, I get cynical about people that pat me on the shoulder lol. Can anyone inform me about this kinda thing?

Motivated

Post Sat May 29, 2010 4:58 pm

SeaDonkey - that bugs me too!
I think guys are often rough & I've seen NBA players pat eachother's rear ends, & it doesn't seem to bother them. Sometimes it could be like, "Good job!"

I've also been patted REALLY hard - almost like they were hitting & that upset me.

But I think usually, people have good intentions. My husband used to pat me on the shoulder - & I think he meant, "Don't worry, you're fine." To me, it came across as I'm a pittied pet, so I told him & he doesn't do it anymore. I imagine it depends on the context & relationship.
SeaDonkey

Post Sat May 29, 2010 6:10 pm

Yeah it appears to me like its a disrespectful gesture. Kinda like saying "its alright" as if they know better than you do. Maybe thats just paranoia on my part though I don't know.
Motivated

Post Sat May 29, 2010 10:06 pm

Maybe I'm paranoid too Smile but I can't imagine someone patting a police officer, president or other authority. Then again, I know some people who want to be affectionate, but don't know how, so they pat (instead of hug) & I've seen grown brothers slug each other, but never hug. Smile
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Post Sat May 29, 2010 10:58 pm

it's a gesture of intimacy. Means they like you and are not threatened by you but feel comfortable and want to reassure you in some way. Does not necessarily mean that they disrespect you, but it really depends on the situation and the relationship between the two people. Can be patronising in certain situations if between someone who is in a position of power when the recipient of the patting is subordinate.
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Post Sat May 29, 2010 10:59 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Motivated
Maybe I'm paranoid too Smile but I can't imagine someone patting a police officer, president or other authority. Then again, I know some people who want to be affectionate, but don't know how, so they pat (instead of hug) & I've seen grown brothers slug each other, but never hug. Smile

well you would not be intimate with parole officers or policemen unless you have had too much to drink. You would normally respect the body space of people who are not informally acquainted with you.
desperate788

Post Sat May 29, 2010 11:04 pm

good night annie:)
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Post Sun May 30, 2010 1:08 am

good night desperate Smile
Motivated

Post Mon May 31, 2010 2:05 am

Annie, I agree. As I posted here, "it depends on the context & relationship."

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: