Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Psychology -> Crying during sleep/dreams? This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Crying during sleep/dreams?

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Psychology Resources

Psychology articles

Free Self-Help articles

Uncommon Knowledge Psychology Newsletter

Popular Psychology Book Reviews

Psychology Training Courses

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
dezikam

Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:59 am

Crying during sleep/dreams?    Reply with quote  

Hey!
This happened to me like 3 times during the last year. I started crying while dreaming and then I started to actually cry and I woke up.
Anybody knows what actually causes this? Deep repression or something?

Thanks in advance!

beautifulsilence

Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:36 am

I think it's because when you're sleeping, most of your mind is still awake. You're using your cerebral cortex and that's what's making your dreams, but part of your cerebral cortex includes your limbic system (which is the emotional part of your brain). It's quite possible that the content of your dream is emotional, and because it's active, you have an emotional reaction (crying).
headfonez

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:28 pm

probably something in your dream made you cry.
kgood2032

Post Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:09 pm

I do that too... cry when im sleeping then I wake you to find that I am still crying... Weird... I looked it up on the internet.. I found a few sites that say if you fall asleep crying then that could be a reason why you do that...
Sepia

Post Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:54 am

It is not unusual to feel and exhibit emotional responses in dreams. After all, who hasn't had a nightmare that frightened the sleeper to near-death? I would say crying and feeling sorrow is less common than fear or sexual arousal, but does occur more often than you'd imagine. I myself have dreampt a loved one's death or a tragic event and I woke up very upset near tears.

Did a sad or traumatic event occur in your life in the last year or so? Or are you emotionally charged before going to bed (e.g. reading a dramatic novel, having a heart-felt talk with a friend, watching a sad movie, etc...)?

Dreams are unpredictable--take it from a person who has been both blessed and cursed with vivid, realistic, and emotionally colorful dreams her entire life. It's usually nothing to worry about, three times within a year is certainly not alarming, and you may instead consider keeping a dream journal to record these interesting, albeit disturbing moments of your life. You may look back on them later and find their meaning, as I have on many occasions. For example, I kept having reoccurring dreams in my late teens to early twenties that I was killed or committed suicide. It was a bit disturbing at the time, but now I look back and realize it was a part of growing into adulthood. The part of me that "died" was my childhood and the recklessness and innocence that I enjoyed.
Shabbon

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:31 am

This happened to me a few times when I was a child. Then after I had my first son it happened almost every night, then it slowed down, then again when my second son was born it happened every night. He is 3 now, and while it doesn't happen very often, it still happens. Last night it happened again, and it's so aweful, my husband has to wake me up and tell me I'm ok, he says to hear me cry like that is unlike any cry he's ever heard before. When I actually come to and realize everything is ok, my face is soaked in tears and it takes me a while to calm down again. I don't understand it either, how on earth could I cry harder in my sleep then I ever would when I'm awake?
bearyconfused

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:13 pm

I went through a very abusive marriage in my early years, my ex put a loaded shot gun at my head, though i thought i wasn't affected by this incident, i spent several years with my current spouse dreaming someone was trying to kill me but there was never a face, my husband would wake me during the night and hold me because i was crying in my sleep. Took several years before the dreams stopped and they stopped the day i say the persons face in my dream. I guess deep down i was affected more by the abuse than i realized. God Bless and "Happy" dreaming!
wyatt_earp_fan

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:34 pm

I just had this type of dream this morning , actually it left me feeling drained, when I would cry in my dreams, its usually in the dream I hear a particular song , in this last one, I heard a song from H.I.M. I remmeber but the reason for my crying was weird, I had just killed someone or hurt a person real bad while fighting with him, then someone said so and so was dead and i felt very troubled by it, then I cried that very very dull deep inside pain of a cry, then I woke up.
PsyChris
MVP
MVP

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:11 pm

A physical response is common during dreaming. People often cry out in their dreams or make sudden movements. Crying would be incorporated into that dream.
angela22

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:53 am

please help    Reply with quote  

last night my mother was crying while asleep. we moved her, shook her, shouted loud but she did not respond for around ten minutes.hr body was really stiff and still. when she opened her eyes she was just looking around at the room.she said she dint know what happened. she didnt remember any dream.then she got up after a while n said her left arm was paining.she didnt take any medicine for pain n had headache.
if anybody really knows what this was please reply asap.
rockylis

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:50 pm

early this morning i was dreaming of my mum who passed away 3 yrs ago i was dreaming we was talking and i got up set and she gave me a big hug like she always did and i was crying whilst still asleep and i then woke up crying more and that has never happened to me before? please get bk to me to let me know what u think ;] thank you
iainridley

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:39 pm

i've never experienced it - I'm actually finding it harder to cry in real life or the waking world
liquidzilla

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:07 pm

I cry in my sleep. Mostly because I have a sad dream (someone dies or Im terrified by something). I found it was mostly when there was alot of stress/family and friend problems in my life at that time.
dreamvine

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:56 am

Dreams and crying    Reply with quote  

This may seem like a totally whacked out answer, but the way I see it is as an interaction between Dream Vines and the Water of the Collective Unconscious.

It sounds ridiculously metaphorical, but it's all explained in my totally free e-book (www.mindweed.org)

When we sleep, the Dream Vine climbs between our Belief Trees and shows us how to reach mental equilibrium. It shows us the 'best' way forward (the way forward in our life that will bring us to that place we love called "calm").

When you cry, this is actually the collective wisdom of humanity coursing through your body. It's a great thing! It's getting you on the same page as our entire species' destiny.

Yes, I told you it sounds loony, but I'd be honoured if you'd read my e-book and see if you agree with me.
missionpunk

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:21 pm

you know what - i've experienced these dreams for almost 2 years now.
contrary to popular belief, professionals say that it is extremely rare that you are crying because of the events in the dream itself

"to dream that you are crying signifies a release of negative emotions caused by some waking situations rather than the events in the dream itself"
- i can vouch for this, all the dream situations are different, for example, one would be from staring at 6-7 cars that are all the same make and model as mine (like last night), or my dream would be about my father getting shot. the events make no difference to how intensely i've been crying to wake myself up.

another, says "weeping in the dream is generally seperate from actual or physical tears forming"

the one that bothers me most is this: "to wake up crying signifies some suppressed hurt or previous trauma that is surfacing; you can't ignore this, but deal with the problems head on"

my issue is this - i have NO idea what suppressed hurt or trauma i've been facing? not anything particular... or big enough... you know? sometimes it happens 2 times a night, sometimes once a month. but the fact of the matter is, it's not going to stop unless i fix something.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: