Feeling cold after eating

Postby Feel Think Act » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Earlier on I cooked a nice & healthy meal, and afterwards found myself shivering because I felt cold.

I tried to find the cause by conducting a Google search, but there seem to be as many different opinions as people experiencing the problem. Some say it is due to a low iron count, others say because of too large portions, too many raw ingredients, too cold food, low carbohydrate diet ...

So here are my specifics:

I made myself some Tan Tan noodles - soba (buckwheat) noodles with a sauce made of half a cup of spring onions, 2 spoons of fresh ginger (haven't had both ingredients for ages, and certainly not in those amounts) and various other ingredients. [raw ingredients?]

I added some chicken and King Prawns and after preparing it I noticed that there were far less noodles in relation to the other ingredients than I had expected [low carbohydrates?], so afterwards I still felt peckish, had half a slice of wholegrain rye bread with some olive paste, a glass of cold smoothie and a small carton of chocolate soya milk. [cold drinks?]

It might sound like I had a very heavy meal because of the large number of ingredients, but it wasn't, so I can pretty much exclude too large portions being the cause.

I've experienced this a lot in the past, but this was the first time since I've changed my diet a few weeks ago. I also noticed that I had very cold hands, as if I was suffering from low blood pressure, although normally I feel warm after eating (especially with so much ginger - something which together with garlic and chili I use for detoxing when I have a cold or flu!)

Anyone have an idea what really caused it? I'm pretty clueless because the websites I have checked all give any of the aforementioned resaons, as well as other ones as well, so there seems to be no common consent what causes it. :?
Feel Think Act

Postby Feel Think Act » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Just had another portion and I'm fine - in fact I'm quite warm now.

Only difference was that this time I used more noddles and left out the chicken. So I guess it must have had something to do with the wrong carbohydrate / protein ratio. Amazing how sensitive our bodies can become, once we stop filling them with toxins. :?
Feel Think Act

Postby Feel Think Act » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Well, it seems like I've got more nutritional problems than I would ever have imagined possible.

The same thing occurred today, and I only had a slice of rye bread with a little bit of salmon. I was actually more hungry than that but thought I'd wait a bit with a proper meal. So maybe my body was expecting more food (which it didn't get) and reacted with feeling cold because of that? I do remember that after I had my Tan Tan noodles I was still hungry too because the Soba noodles turned out to be less than I had expected.

And earlier on I had some wholegrain pasta which I still had in the cupboard. About half an hour after eating my eyes were itching and I could hardly keep them open, and I felt incredibly tired so that I had to lie down. It was the second time that I had wheat pasta since quitting weed, and I remember that I got tired the first time too, but put it down to having eaten too much at the time. I didn;t feel depressed this time though but it took me about 1½ hours until I felt better and could get up again.

Not sure how it can be that I all of a sudden seem to be allergic to so many things, after I used to be able to eat just about everything... hope my dietitian can shed some light on the issues I'm having to deal with, but it's another 2½ weeks until I have my appointment with her.
Feel Think Act

Postby Kensington » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Being cold is a common symptom for a lot of people with an ed, often if they are underweight or borderline underweight.

Then again, this might have nothing to do with an ed or food. You should consider talking to your doctor in case something else is going on.
Kensington

Postby PsyChris » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:07 pm

The next time you get cold, drink a glass of orange juice. If you feel better quickly after that then it's your blood sugar and you need to get screened for diabetes/hypoglycemia*

Cold intolerance is a symptom of being underweight and/or anemia ("low iron") but it is more of a constant feeling than a fleeting one like you describe.

*: Not Jurplesman's version of hypoglycemia.. :P
PsyChris
MVP
MVP

Postby dav1307 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Originally posted by PsyChris
*: Not Jurplesman's version of hypoglycemia..

I think jurplesman just tries to make it simple for people, because when he talks about hypoglycemia, the people might be totally new to the idea. But hypoglycemia is the same anywhere in the world. Check out one of his links below, and it talks about different types of hypoglycemia. Maybe you're talking about type 1,2, or 3?
dav1307
MVP
MVP

Postby Feel Think Act » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:01 pm

Only just noticed the replies. I'll try the orange juice. Hasn't happened again though since I posted this. But besides hypoglycemia I'm pretty sure about my iron levels being low too, so I'll ask my GP to check next time I see her.

What are the different types of hypoglycemia about?
Feel Think Act

Postby dav1307 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:56 am

Oh yeah, I forgot to post the link, hehe.Image

http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/articles/what_is_hypo.html

I have type 6 I'm pretty sure, which probably accounts for my blood sugar issues, though I have other nutrition problems too, lol. They may be tied together, it can be confusing.
dav1307
MVP
MVP

Postby Feel Think Act » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:08 am

Weird, I'm sure that link's been posted loads of times but I never seem to have read about the different types before. Cheers! Image
Feel Think Act

Postby PsyChris » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:45 am

dav1307 wrote:
*: Not Jurplesman's version of hypoglycemia..

I think jurplesman just tries to make it simple for people, because when he talks about hypoglycemia, the people might be totally new to the idea. But hypoglycemia is the same anywhere in the world. Check out one of his links below, and it talks about different types of hypoglycemia. Maybe you're talking about type 1,2, or 3?

Well, I am not talking about long term systemic effects like Jurplesman is. I am talking about the transient symptoms like chills that are caused during hypoglycemia crises. A hypoglycemic diet alone will control mild diabetes but it's not a replacement for Insulin dependent diabetics.
PsyChris
MVP
MVP

Postby dav1307 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:22 am

Well, I am not talking about long term systemic effects like Jurplesman is. I am talking about the transient symptoms like chills that are caused during hypoglycemia crises. A hypoglycemic diet alone will control mild diabetes but it's not a replacement for Insulin dependent diabetics.

Fair enough, I think I know what you're saying. Jurplesman does talk about blood sugar problems, that is actually the main basis for anxiety and other mood issues. So I think you and him agree more than you think.

But anyway, in your opinion, I'm just asking out of ignorance here, what do people need to do if they are insulin dependent diabetics and the hypoglycemic diet isn't enough for them? Is their health already so bad that it is hard to recover? Thanks!
dav1307
MVP
MVP

Postby paulo111 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:21 pm

dav1307 wrote:

Fair enough, I think I know what you're saying. Jurplesman does talk about blood sugar problems, that is actually the main basis for anxiety and other mood issues. So I think you and him agree more than you think.

But anyway, in your opinion, I'm just asking out of ignorance here, what do people need to do if they are insulin dependent diabetics and the hypoglycemic diet isn't enough for them? Is their health already so bad that it is hard to recover? Thanks!

I have heard of high dose Chromium, Zinc and Vitamin C can help Type 2 Diabetics, not sure of Type 1.
paulo111
MVP
MVP

Postby paulo111 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:23 pm

Feel Think Act wrote:Earlier on I cooked a nice & healthy meal, and afterwards found myself shivering because I felt cold.

I tried to find the cause by conducting a Google search, but there seem to be as many different opinions as people experiencing the problem. Some say it is due to a low iron count, others say because of too large portions, too many raw ingredients, too cold food, low carbohydrate diet ...

So here are my specifics:

I made myself some Tan Tan noodles - soba (buckwheat) noodles with a sauce made of half a cup of spring onions, 2 spoons of fresh ginger (haven't had both ingredients for ages, and certainly not in those amounts) and various other ingredients. [raw ingredients?]

I added some chicken and King Prawns and after preparing it I noticed that there were far less noodles in relation to the other ingredients than I had expected [low carbohydrates?], so afterwards I still felt peckish, had half a slice of wholegrain rye bread with some olive paste, a glass of cold smoothie and a small carton of chocolate soya milk. [cold drinks?]

It might sound like I had a very heavy meal because of the large number of ingredients, but it wasn't, so I can pretty much exclude too large portions being the cause.

I've experienced this a lot in the past, but this was the first time since I've changed my diet a few weeks ago. I also noticed that I had very cold hands, as if I was suffering from low blood pressure, although normally I feel warm after eating (especially with so much ginger - something which together with garlic and chili I use for detoxing when I have a cold or flu!)

Anyone have an idea what really caused it? I'm pretty clueless because the websites I have checked all give any of the aforementioned resaons, as well as other ones as well, so there seems to be no common consent what causes it. :?

Have you ever had your thyroid checked?
paulo111
MVP
MVP

Postby Feel Think Act » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:12 pm

paulo111 wrote:Have you ever had your thyroid checked?

No, I was hoping that would be done by the dietitian, but as already mentioned I could have saved myself that visit ... so now I'm hoping my endocrinologist will be able to do the check when I see him in two weeks.
Feel Think Act

Postby paulo111 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Feel Think Act wrote:
paulo111 wrote:Have you ever had your thyroid checked?

No, I was hoping that would be done by the dietitian, but as already mentioned I could have saved myself that visit ... so now I'm hoping my endocrinologist will be able to do the check when I see him in two weeks.

You can do it yourself if you have a thermometer. I've seen on the hypothyroidism forums on curezone people claim the home test is the most accurate.
paulo111
MVP
MVP

Next