Thinking about coming off MIRTAZAPINE, Tapering advice?

Postby drewmj » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Hello, I have been on Mirtazapine for nearly 7 months and have just registered with a new gp who has said I could come off Mirtazapine because of all my problems with stomach and feeling faint.
I am down from 45mg to 15mg and have been for 2 weeks he said that I can just stop taking it without tapering but it wasn't nice dropping from 30 to 15 with severe nausea for 24 hrs but got through it.
The dr said well if you want to take 15mg alternate nights for 2 weeks then none or try and cut the tablet in half for 2 weeks then none.
So I have all these options and don't know which one to pick, has anyone tapered any of these options or have any experiences tapering?
Thanks
drewmj

Likes Received: 0

Postby jurplesman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:12 am

drewmj wrote:Hello, I have been on Mirtazapine for nearly 7 months and have just registered with a new gp who has said I could come off Mirtazapine because of all my problems with stomach and feeling faint.
I am down from 45mg to 15mg and have been for 2 weeks he said that I can just stop taking it without tapering but it wasn't nice dropping from 30 to 15 with severe nausea for 24 hrs but got through it.
The dr said well if you want to take 15mg alternate nights for 2 weeks then none or try and cut the tablet in half for 2 weeks then none.
So I have all these options and don't know which one to pick, has anyone tapered any of these options or have any experiences tapering?
Thanks

If you took the drug for mood disorders, then getting off drugs is not necessarily solving the original problem for which you took the drug. Drugs mask symptoms without necessarily "curing" the mood disorder for which you were taking the drug.

If you want to withdraw gradually then go on the hypoglycemic diet while you withdraw gradually. See:

Depression is a Nutritional Disorder
jurplesman

Postby drewmj » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi, I have decided to cut the sol tab in half and take that for 2 weeks then possibly cut it into quarters then stop.
The problem is that I took 7.5mg last night and had insommia all night, nausea and stomach ache,no appetite, I hate not sleeping has anyone else experienced withdrawl from Mirtazapine?
drewmj

Postby drewmj » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:43 am

Day 2 of withdrawl from 15mg to 7.5mg of Mirtazapine slept a little better then last night but still feel sick all the time and no appetite and stomachache, so I am going to take Domperidone to see if this helps.
Anyone else tapered from Mirtazapine before?
drewmj

Postby drewmj » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:19 pm

Day 4 of reduction from 15mg to 7.5mg of Mirtazapine and still feel terrible constantly feeling sick,stomach cramps,fuzzy head and is definately upsetting my IBS.
I managed to get hold of my gp and we have agreed to go back to 15mg for another 2 weeks and then he will prescribe liquid form Mirtazapine so I can taper even more slowly.
The liquid form is made by one company here in the uk costing around £66 a bottle, luckily I just pay the prescription charge of £7.20 so it is definately worth it.
drewmj

Postby drewmj » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:46 am

Hello, I am on day2 of reduction from mirtazapine I am now using the liquid form to taper slowly because of the withdrawls.
I am now taking 0.6ml/9mg this is my second day but I woke up with flu like symptoms and feel terrible.
Does anyone know whether the flu like symptoms is a side effect of mirtazapine or a allergy?
Thanks
drewmj

Postby jessicapuppy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:15 pm

My own experience is of self-tapering down from Seroxat many years ago, with disastrous results.
I am concerned that due to the other medical reasons you're coming off your tablets, but that you don't seem to have considered (or don't mention on here) taking up a different anti-depressant in its place.
Perhaps you are wanting to see if you can manage without medication all together, which is fair enough.
My own experience of withdrawal from different anti-depressants is that I had very bad symptoms, much as you describe, as I also did when starting the medication in the first place. I think that a more gradual approach is definitely the best way (the liquid), & you should work with your GP on a regular basis & tell him or her if you feel particularly poorly or are concerned. You may be suffering needlessly My own experience was 14 yrs ago & there are more products available these days which your GP may recommend to ease symptoms.
If at any point you don't feel like your GP is taking you seriously or listening properly, don't be afraid to get a second opinion.
jessicapuppy
Preferred Member

Postby drewmj » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:15 am

Hi, I am now taking 0.5ml/7.5mg of Mirtazapine last night and I don't feel too bad this morning only a slight stomach ache but manageable.
I have also noticed since withdrawling slowly from Mirtazapine my mood has become great and I don't feel so drugged up.
Also I have noticed with the liquid form I haven't suffered from indigestion/heartburn like I did when I was taking the sol tab version.
I have decided not to go onto another antideppressant because I believe that I can beat this through eating a good diet and taking vitamins and CBT.
drewmj

Postby jessicapuppy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:59 am

Great that you're feeling much better. I hope you manage to beat things in the way that you want, but you shouldn't feel less of a person if you do need medication. After all, if you were diabetic (for example) you would take insulin if you needed it. Just because this is a condition of the mind, doesn't make it any less deserving of treatment to rectify it.
There is also the point of being on the right tablets for you. Everyone is different, & if you are feeling 'drugged up' after...say around 6 months, that suggests to me that they may not be the ones for you.
Anyway, I hope you manage without them at all. As long as you beat it, it doesn't really matter what method you use :D
Stay positive!
jessicapuppy
Preferred Member