Mirtazapine reduction causing anxiety, any advice please.

Postby drewmj » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Hello I have been reducing my mirtazapine by 1mg a week for a couple of months now and everyday seemed to get better and better.
I am taking the liquid form mirtazapine so I can reduce slower minimising withdrawls.
I am now down to 0.4ml/6mg and have been on this dose for 4 days but my anxiety today has been dreadful it seems to happen for no reason,has anyone else experienced this when withdrawing from mirtazapine?
Thanks
drewmj

Postby Cooler » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:54 am

drewmj wrote:Hello I have been reducing my mirtazapine by 1mg a week for a couple of months now and everyday seemed to get better and better.
I am taking the liquid form mirtazapine so I can reduce slower minimising withdrawls.
I am now down to 0.4ml/6mg and have been on this dose for 4 days but my anxiety today has been dreadful it seems to happen for no reason,has anyone else experienced this when withdrawing from mirtazapine?
Thanks

Drew,

I don't know the drug myself, but coming off any anti anxiety drug is likely to have a downside. It would be a good idea to check with your doctor on this one.

Alex.
Cooler

Postby gregorymichael » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:47 am

Hi Drew,

I've been taking Mirtazapine since 2002 and initially on 30mg per day and I was still experiencing ongoing anxiety then moved up to 45 mg per day but over time this was not enough and my dose was increased to 60mg per day.

Recently I reduced the dosage to 45mg and my anxiety become more frequent to the point of being overwhelming. I have since increased back to 60mg per day and I'm not experiencing any anxiety.

It is important to remain on the prescribed dosage and only change with your GP's suggestion or supervision. For me it has become a reliable drug which I need function.

Regards
Greg.
gregorymichael
MVP
MVP

Return to Anxiety and Panic Attacks