Different types of hypnosis.

Postby Jake Chess » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:44 pm

I attended Joe Fobes' "Reality is a scam" and there was a section of it pertaining to different types of hypnosis (I believe something like Erikson's method and... Shoot I forgot the other method, but it was about creating an imagination to reality [such as making your arm numb] method.)

I was just wondering what different types of hypnosis exist and what are their 'best' applications for induction and hypnosis.
Jake Chess

Likes Received: 0

Postby jess1218 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi Jake,

There are different ways of categorizing hypnosis methods. This is how I understand it:

1) Direct Hypnosis

This is when you tell someone exactly what experience they will have. For Example: "Your eyes are becoming relaxed." You often see street and stage hypnotists use this style.

2) Indirect Hypnosis

This is also referred to Ericksonian Hypnosis (although Erickson wasn't the only one using this style). This is a way of using suggestion to create an experience in a subject without them necessarily realizing you are doing it. So if you wanted someone to go into trance you might begin by talking about times we go into trances naturally like while driving or watching a movie. There is no need to even mention hypnosis or trance as it develops naturally.

3) Overt Hypnosis

This is when the person knows that there is going to be some sort of hypnosis going on. Or at the very least they have an awareness that something unusual is happening. You can be overtly direct or overtly indirect.

4) Covert Hypnosis

Covert hypnosis is when the person being hypnotized has no idea that it is happening. The only thing they recognize is that they are having a really good conversation with you. And again you can be covertly direct and covertly indirect.

As for which is the best to use, that really depends on the situation. Hypnosis is an art that depends on the context of the interaction. It is less important how we categorize it and more important how we use our skills to get to the end result. It is fantastic to understand all of the different approaches and methods and when the time is right you will select the most appropriate given the context and who you're working with.

Hope this was helpful :)
jess1218

Likes Received: 1

Postby PaulL » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Jake Chess wrote:I attended Joe Fobes' "Reality is a scam" and there was a section of it pertaining to different types of hypnosis (I believe something like Erikson's method and... Shoot I forgot the other method, but it was about creating an imagination to reality [such as making your arm numb] method.)

I was just wondering what different types of hypnosis exist and what are their 'best' applications for induction and hypnosis.

I also attended the webinar, Joe was talking about Erickson and Elman at that point in the webinar and was basically saying that Ericksons approach was an automatic response method, ie give suggestions which the subject 'subconsciously' accepts/responds to whereas Dave Elmans approach was to simply describe a new subjective reality for the person to imagine/create.

I'm not quite sure how clear I have made that but I hope it helps refresh your memory.

Cheers

PS I hope that wasn't too bad for a first post.
PaulL

Postby Joe100 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:08 am

PaulL wrote:
Jake Chess wrote:I attended Joe Fobes' "Reality is a scam" and there was a section of it pertaining to different types of hypnosis (I believe something like Erikson's method and... Shoot I forgot the other method, but it was about creating an imagination to reality [such as making your arm numb] method.)

I also attended the webinar, Joe was talking about Erickson and Elman at that point in the webinar and was basically saying that Ericksons approach was an automatic response method, ie give suggestions which the subject 'subconsciously' accepts/responds to whereas Dave Elmans approach was to simply describe a new subjective reality for the person to imagine/create.

Spot on.

I'm sure there are more ways of slicing the pie (I have a 3rd piece that will be the next webinar, and thats how the old time hypnotists understood hypnosis...), and this distinction of what result they wanted seems to fit Elman and Erickson.

Erickson wanted automatic responses, and so he want for a lot of open ended stuff, arm levitation and so on. Also included is the subject taking a passive part and simply letting whatever happen, happen (as the response needs to be automatic and not consciously generated).
Elman wanted to install a solid new subjective reality, and so he went for a lot of 'try and you can't' type phenomena. He also had the subject take and active role in locking their mind around the new reality.

The direct and indirect part comes afterwards.

Joe
Joe100
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 3

Postby Jake Chess » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:46 pm

This all makes sense and clarifies loose knots for me. Thanks everyone.
Jake Chess