Taking Time Off Due To Stress

Postby pb21 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:47 am

Work is really stressing me out at the moment, I am unproductive because I can’t concentrate, I’m literally pulling my hair out, I am very introverted and I just want to storm out. I go home really tired even though I have just been sitting down all day.

The main reason for this is I think because it is not the right job for me and I have poor coping skills. I need to get another job, but that’s easier said than done.

Do people think it’s a good idea to be signed off from work due to stress? I’m not sure what it would achieve other than a temporary avoidance of the issues, is it just running away from the problem? At the end I would just be right back in the same situation. It’s also a bit stigmatizing I think.

Any experience of doing this?
pb21

Likes Received: 0

Postby foxyboy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:18 pm

WELL YES , I worked through three breakdowns, because i was so wirred with stress i couldent sit still or rest. So being a bricklayer i just layed more bricks ,running on adrenalin. I dont work at all now because my last breakdown put me in the mental hospital. My phyisical strenth gave in, then my brain shut me down. So yes to you question take time out if your at breaking point, because you will snap, an then mabye take a look at your job an is it right for you.
foxyboy
Preferred Member

Postby eageleyes82 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:47 am

I agree with thhe first reply. I do believe that if you take care of yourself everyone is a beneficery of that. If you are workin yourself half dead than you arent being productive at work and prob any other area of life. at least if you take some time and recoup you can gain better perspective and strength
eageleyes82

Postby pb21 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:44 pm

I went to the doctors last week and explained how I am feeling and he just increased my citalopram prescription from 20mg to 30mg.

I didn’t ask specifically about being signed off from work as I thought he might be thinking I am trying to skive off. I am really agitated though, it’s turning in to a real issue and I’m just not working, because I am stuck in my head thinking about it, and as a result getting more stressed and anxious about the implications of getting sacked.

Argh! :x
pb21

Postby foxyboy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:54 pm

If you dont tell the doc, how is he to know whats going on. You didnt mention you were on meds in your first post. Adding more citalopram to your 20mg may do more harm than good. If your theraputic dose is 20mg, 30mg will just add more side effects.Your wasteing your time an the doctors, by not explaining why you came to see him . :?
foxyboy
Preferred Member

Postby pb21 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:27 am

Well I said I was very stressed at work at the moment, not able to concentrate which was making me more stressed, and that I wasn’t able to get anything done. That I become very introverted and pull my hair out more than usual.

I also explained to him that by the end of the working day I begin to feel kind of nauseous and a little dissociated/dizzy.

I guess he thought increasing my dose was the best course of action, rather than sign me off. I’m not sure I agree but there you go!
pb21

Postby foxyboy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:43 am

sounds like he dont give a sh**, an just throws more meds at you.
foxyboy
Preferred Member

Postby pb21 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:17 am

That’s the motto of the NHS mental health department I think.

‘We don’t care have some pills, or if you are lucky possibly a couple of CBT sessions’
pb21

Postby foxyboy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:08 pm

Hey your spot on, Cbt on the NHS is totally an utterly crap. 8 -1 hour sessions with 11 more people. you go home more confused than when you went in. :roll: :roll:
foxyboy
Preferred Member

Postby afshaanfatema » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:26 pm

if u think that the job is not rite for u, try doing wat u like, taking a break from this job wont help u at all...
afshaanfatema

Postby TheDailyInspiration » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:27 am

Usually in the workplace setting it's best to operate from a full disclosure standpoint. If you have a relationship with your manager that will allow for you to be transparent, I would suggest it.

The more straightforward you are the better your team will be prepared to assist you in getting what you need.

--
Devin Ambron
Leadership and Lifestyle Development Expert
Founder of The Daily Inspiration
TheDailyInspiration