How to get out of bed in the morning.....

Postby Lyndsay Swinton » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:17 pm

I was wondering what people do to get themselves out of bed in the morning. You know how somedays it's easy to leap out of bed and there's a spring in your step, but somedays bed=good and it's hard to get yourself going. What do you do to make that mental leap into the new day?

Lyndsay
Lyndsay Swinton

Likes Received: 1

Postby hudmb » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:07 pm

Hi - interesting question!

I think about all the people I love and who love me and all the things I'm passionate about in my life. That usually helps! :lol:

I also have one of those "natural" alarm clocks which simulate a sunrise - that helps too.

Regards, hudmb
hudmb

Likes Received: 0

Postby fandango » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:28 pm

Going to bed early enough and knowing that if I don't go to work I'll lose my job :roll: .

On weekends it's easier to get up, because I know I don't have to get up if I don't want to.
fandango

Postby fandango » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:21 pm

I've thought a bit more about my response.

I started coming to this site for the self-esteem help because that is mainly what I am fighting with. However, I also become depressed for about 1 week every month. I suppose I would be diagnosed with PMDD, because I am fine the rest of the time. I am not bi-polar. My father is schizo-affective (and has been diagnosed with many names since before I was born) so I am very familiar with the various hi's and low's. Anyway, guess where I am right now :x .

I am doing better this evening, so I wanted to add that what mainly gets me out of bed in the morning is the simple fact that I want to. Until a few years ago, I was just living and reacting. My mother is extremely controlling, as is my grandmother with whom I lived with when I was younger, and I have had 2 very abusive relationships. I have been with my current DH for 6 years, but about 2 years ago I started to take control of my life, and happily he was very supportive of all this. My mother not so much. But, I am no longer doing what I think I should or should not or could or could not do. If I don't want to get out of bed, I won't. But I chose the job I have right now. And I choose to live the life I have (finally) made for myself.

I guess my point is, that free-will helps motivate me. Now if I could just remember that little fact all 4 weeks of the month I would be OK.
fandango

Postby egor » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:11 pm

Its probably not a good idea, but, I punish myself alot, for alot of things, getting out of bed being one of those things, completely ludicrous, because for me the social aspect of work is punishment in itself, and then the fact that due to low water pressure and everyone in the house turning taps on and off alot, the shower scolds me :| ...

...thinking about it, why do I get out of bed in the morning?

Its a good question :) .
egor

Postby xiangyang » Fri May 14, 2004 2:48 am

Why not try tis affirmation before you go to sleep," I get up in the morning, feeling fantastic." say it several times to yourself before you fall asleep. This really helps.
xiangyang

Postby Macdonut » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:12 pm

Interestingly enough, when I was in a job I hated, I had no trouble getting up in the morning. Now that I work for myself, I can effectively get up whenever I want, but still get up at the same time (normally due to an elbow in the ribs from my partner!). I do find it a lot easier to get up though if I have something to look forward to. Whether that be a trip out or just a nice cuppa. Also, a good nights uninterrupted sleep and getting up as soon as the internal clock says its time to helps.

To get to sleep, if I'm having difficulty, I put some classical music on in the background, normally baroque. Even though I couldn't stand classical music when I was a kid, I find it to be relaxing and helps me drift off. I've also tried this with other types of music and find that anything with singing in it tends to just get me listening to the words and thus staying awake longer.
Macdonut

Postby Passion » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:12 pm

hi lyndsay
for years i always had problems with getting out of bed...id forever hit the snooze button and end up being incredibly late for everything. i now find that natural daylight helps to wake me. I recently redecorated my bedroom (which previously had thick dark curtains) to very light shades and light thin curtains. The sun is definately the way we are all meant to wake up in the morning.
Passion

Postby wolfke » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:23 pm

The sun is definately the way we are all meant to wake up in the morning.

And what do you do in winter time when sun only starts shining after 9?
wolfke
MVP
MVP

Postby Lyndsay Swinton » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:25 pm

Hi Wolfke,

Here are my ultra practical suggestions for easing the transition from bed to awakeness when the sun is still sleeping.

- decide what you are going to wear the night before and lay out your clothes ready
- assemble all the necessaries for the next day - make your lunch, locate keys, recharge your cell phone etc etc so you don't have to fumble around in a dozy daze.
- have breakfast laid out ready and waiting (remember an old gem called a "tea's made" which brewed a cup of tea then woke you up?). You're much more likely to eat before you shuffle out the door if it's right under your nose.
- use a strong smelling citrus shower gel, maybe with some zingy aromatherapy oils like bergamot.
- have a good bed-time routine, giving you the best chance of falling asleep early and getting in the necessary hours.

Like Passion suggested, it's the practical things like redecorating your room that will make it easier to get up in the morning.

Or maybe just go South during winter :wink:

Lyndsay
Lyndsay Swinton

Postby satanstoystore » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:58 pm

xiangyang wrote:Why not try tis affirmation before you go to sleep," I get up in the morning, feeling fantastic." say it several times to yourself before you fall asleep. This really helps.

I do something similar occasionally. I get a glass of water, and right before I fall asleep I sit up, drink the water and simultaneously think to myself- "As I finish this water I will all night do all that is necessary to wake on time and feel immensely happy, refreshed, energized and ready to face the day with gusto." My results were amazing. Since our brains have incredible recall I simply asked for previous states to implement later.
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby yuno » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:50 pm

when I was at uni, i hated my course. I had trouble getting out of bed in time even for lectures that were on at 3pm. I sometimes slept up to 14 hours a day. Because every time i woke up, I just didn't want to see the day begin. Sometimes I was so sickened by the thought of going, that I would throw up.

A lot of time has passed since then, and I had quit my course in the meantime... so I did some freelance work for a while, which, although didn't mean getting up every day as I worked at home, I still found stressfull because it was too competitive and my self esteem isnt the highest really....

But now I have a full time job, and I don't have fixed working hours, as long as I show up at work and do my job for the day, it's fine.

People at work are great too, and for the first time ever, I don't feel I am constantly being evaluated and challenged by others.

Now, I have no problems getting up, and my sleeping patterns are normal, for the first time in many years.

:)

So from my own experience, but also from what many people often say, I would conclude that it is easy to get out of bed only if what awaits you is not something you dread.
yuno

Postby lallybonce » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:42 pm

the best and most sensible reply to the question of being able to get out of bed. it looks like youve got the recipe right, good on you, this is what i like to hear someone getting it right, we are surely not here to suffer all the time and listening to ones intincts do eventually come up trumps, there is hope for me yet
lallybonce

Postby Jun » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:27 pm

I don't have any problem with sleeping, just with getting up on work days (yes, I dread work)...what helped for me to get up in time was to turn on the alarm of my mobile phone that was a few meters away from my bed, next to my radio...so I get out, turn alarm off and turn radio on...then I get back into my bed for an extra half an hour while listening to the news untill my second alarm goes off...by then I've found the courage mostly to get out for real.
Jun

Postby Grey stripe » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:19 pm

I think the best way to get out of bed in the morning is to put your alarm Clock as far away from your bed as possible that way when it rings you have no choice but to get out of bed to turn it off. I always find that once I’m out of bed it's pointless getting back in, well it certainly works for me and never fails.

getting out of bed is easy; it’s Life that’s hard :(
Grey stripe

Next