Dreamt my Mother died

Postby pb21 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:17 pm

The other night I had a dream that my mother had died. I didn’t see her die or see her dead body, I was told by my father that she had died unexpectedly. Obviously this was very shocking and in the dream I was crying a lot and couldn’t believe it was true. The dream moved on through time and I was always crying both at the fact she was gone and and I think because I felt sorry for my father and brother too.

Last night I talked about this to my girlfriend and as I was doing so I burst into tears as if I was feeling those feelings I had in the dream. We talked about it and sort of realised the dream is a reflection of the relationship I have with my Mother and Father, that is one with very little emotion or closeness, and the fact I wish it were different and better, and the sadness was a result of that.

She also said something like ‘you do realise your parents love you though’ and I thought yes I do now, but definitely not growing up, and in fact I felt that my mother hated me when I was growing up. Thinking that made me even more sad and angry, and to a certain extent desperate in some sense.

So can this dream mean more than a lack of emotion that I feel now or can it be more related to the negative emotion I felt growing up?
pb21

Likes Received: 0

Postby Beloved » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:54 pm

pb21 wrote:The other night I had a dream that my mother had died.
I didn’t see her die or see her dead body,
I was told by my father
she had died unexpectedly.

Dreams are wishes or fears or both, unless this theory has been superseded.
Above are four elements of the dream; free associate to each of these.

I had a dream similar to this a long time ago, and it is still with me.
Beloved
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 1

Postby Motivated » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:39 am

pb21,
To our subconscious, dreams are as real as reality. So, it makes sense that a dream like this would be upsetting. You seem to have already gathered some insights from it.

I just looked up some of your dream in this online dream dictionary...
It may or may not be applicable to you... but it could help you consider what's going on in your life & especially your subconscious mind.

http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

To dream about the death of a loved one, suggests that you are lacking a certain aspect or quality that the loved one embodies. Ask yourself what makes this person special or what you like about them. It is that very quality that you are lacking in your own relationship or circumstances. Alternatively, the dream indicates that whatever that person represents has no part in your own life anymore. In particular, to dream about the death of your parents, indicates that you are undergoing a significant change in your waking life. Your relationship with your parents has evolved into a new realm.

To see your mother in your dream, represents the nurturing aspect of your own character. Mothers offer shelter, comfort, life, guidance and protection. Some people may have problems freeing themselves from their mothers and are thus seeking their own individuality and development.

To see your father in your dream, symbolizes authority and protection. It suggests that you need to be more self-reliant. Consider also your waking relationship with your father and how aspects of his character may be incorporated within yourself.
Motivated

Postby pb21 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:51 am

Alternatively, the dream indicates that whatever that person represents has no part in your own life anymore. In particular, to dream about the death of your parents, indicates that you are undergoing a significant change in your waking life.

That’s interesting because as I said I felt as though my mother hated me because I seemed to made her life a misery, and that belief that I am a nuisance and a chore has persisted into adulthood and has been applied to everyone.

Recently however that belief has been eroded, probably because I have only really just started seeing my girlfriend, who is my first romantic relationship, and she really doesn’t make me feel that way but makes me feel loved for who I am.
pb21

Postby Motivated » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm sad that you felt bad with your mom.
Yet, I'm glad that you have made the most of it...
You seem to be a deep thinker, maybe because of some of the pain.
I hope the best with you & your girlfriend!
Motivated