How do I stop feeling sad about getting older?

Postby TimTam » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:42 am

Lately, I've been feeling melancholic about this 'getting older' issue. Every time I looked in the mirror, I see that I have aged; I'm no longer that young-looking person anymore. My skin doesn't feel as smooth as it used to be and there's a couple of gray hair e.t.c

I'm 33 yrs old. I never imagined that this time would come. How quick did time pass? What on earth happened to my 20's??

Today, I caught the tram and looked pass the window and saw my old university. I saw students going in and out of there. I used to be like one of them - went there to study an engineering course. I watched the way some people dressed: skinny jeans, colourful jumper, and some even wear necklace. They looked like models.

I looked at myself dressed in loose pant and gray hooded jumper. Nearly all my clothes are gray, black and blue - nothing colourful.

Most of the time when I listened to the 90's music, I feel sad. I missed all my friends that I used to study with...I no longer see them anymore...even though I bumped into a few of them in the past...they seemed like strangers to me..

This is just a vent...I know it's something to do with chemical imbalance in my brain...this feeling will go away..hopefully.
TimTam

Likes Received: 0

Postby Elly_K » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:00 am

Please explain what you mean by "vent" i am unfamiliar with this term.

I will say one thing. I am 19 years of age and do what you do. I feel like each day is floating passed me and I have nothing to say for it. Before long I feel like I will be 100 years of age. I have the most strangest problems that one day I hope will just go. It's really hard to feel good about myself. The mirror is my horrible point also. It's being getting me down everytime I look in the thing.

I have a few questions.

Married?
Kids?
Parnter?
Friends?
Future Aspirations?
Inspirations?

I talk as If I hold all of these concepts, trust me I have none of them hahaha
But I say them becuase I know I should have them. I feel like its hard being me. I constantly look back on places and the place gives me a negative emotional reaction. All the things I bought my girlfriend at valentines day, I cry when I see them becuase theres somthing connected there still which hurts inside. It would take a psychologist to dig it up, but Im still waiting on that.

I guess my immediate advice is, talk with me more about it. It's somthing I do on a day to day basis. I life my life starring out of a window at the moment. What do you do?

Elly :)
Elly_K

Postby Mindcontrolago » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Wtf 33 is young just eat healthy exercise and if you know what your doing youl make to 100 plus
Mindcontrolago
Preferred Member

Postby Beloved » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:03 pm

Getting older means you know more stuff. You may not be able to act on it, however. Also, with being older a large part of your history has already been written so the uncertainty is reduced.

I have 15 years to live according to the mortality tables.
You will live to be 81.
What will you do with the time you have left?
What should you do with it?
Beloved
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 1

Postby stella_blues » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:32 am

I'm 38. I feel your pain. The grey hairs, the crow's feet wrinkles, it all sucks! However, I don't feel old. I worry about the fact that I'm not as successful and ahead of the game I thought I'd be at this age. But I do things to still hang onto feeling young.

The clothes. Like you mentioned, hanging back on style can really age a person. Dress young! Don't be shy. It's something my friends admire and it inspires them to dress younger. I shop in the "misses" section all the time. I keep up with the shoe styles. I still dress pretty conservatively- you won't catch me in a low slung top and short skirt! I don't have much money to work with, so I don't shop high end brand names. But I find you don't really have to in order to keep up.

I use the "age defying" products. They actually do work! Loreal Hydra-renewal moisturaizer after I wash my face. It makes a huge difference from the times I forget to use it! Dry skin is the worst in making a person look older. Moisturize! :)

I don't do make-up. Just my preferrence.

Hair. I keep my hair "cute." Not over the top or anything. It's just past shoulder length, loose curls and usually I follow the basic trends in what I do with it. That said, I do not spend a lot of time on my hair! When the grey starts to get obvious, I definitely plan to start dying it. Bit it boggles my mind that women my age wear these short, layered old lady hair styles. WHY???? :roll:

If you have a young or favorite part of you- nice legs, pretty eyes, cute nose or whatever, focus on it somehow.

Lastly, try not to think about the years you've lost. Try to think about the things you want to be or do in ten or twenty years. I love the saying, "It's never too late to be what you wanted to be." Seriously! Always wanted to learn piano- go for it! Ballroom Dance- look at Mary Murphy, at around 50 years old and still winning awards and highly acclaimed! There are so many inspiring successful women our age. Do some google searches - it may just boost your mood around being in your 30's.

Also, smile, do young things- ride a bike, blow bubbles, fly a kite, get a puppy, sing with abandon to your favorite songs, play board games, go to a penny-candy store. It's all still just a fun as it used to be! And laughter keeps a person youthful.

Hope this is useful to you. Best wishes! 8)
stella_blues