Cold feeling at back of throat. GAD or GORD

Postby Elly_K » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:13 pm

Right heres the problem:

The cold feeling at the back of my throat when I breath is commonly associated with acid reflux disease which I have had problems with last year and started to slowly creep back this year recently. I am going to go back to the doctor and talk to them about it to see if I can get the tube rammed down my kneck to see what they can do.

Everytime Ive been to my doctor in the absence of telling them I have gastro easophageal reflux disease, and complain about the cold feeling at the back of my throat, they tell me its anxiety and try and put me oon (valium) - (citalopram). I have not taken them, but in the last few days I've started to get panicy about it all again because it's panicing me becuase I dont know what it is. I feel a bit tense in the head and slightly light headed

Elly
Elly_K

Postby snhorn12 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:19 pm

Hey Elly,
Again we share something in common ;) I have been suffering from acid reflux and gastritis for almost a year now. Ive had 2 EGD's where they scoped me and looked down my throat. I'm on Nexium, Prilosec, and I try to watch my diet. Since my anxiety has gotten better, so my stomach but it does flare up. The "cold" feeling in the back of your throat is because the tissue is inflamed. Nothing to be alarmed about. You need to take some antacids until you get this anxiety under control. And my dear that is the cure, control your anxiety. Try the Citalopram....it will not hurt you. It will help...the Valium? Take only if needed i.e during periods of severe panic or to help you sleep. With time on Citalopram, you will be able to stop Valium for good. Also avoid spicy food, caffeine, alcohol, anything acidic. Small frequent meals.....Kid you're too young for this stuff haha but your youth is in your favor you will bounce back. You CAN be yourself again, promise! Any luck finding the books I suggested??
snhorn12

Postby Elly_K » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Excellent, yes once again seems like you and me share a unique problem, almost exaclty the same.
Prisolec is "omeprazol" Isnt it?

yes yes I got my mum to get them for me from the library :)
I pray atleast once a day and am going to be reading the book also. I would take the citalopram but not yet, I need to see if the stomache acid problem is adding to my anxiety greatly, as it used to, so It may just be tht, if its not, then citalopram may just be the trick. I found this programme called "the Panic Puzzle" Im intregued to wether it will work or not.

IM SO shocked you have acid reflux also!!! I would take an anti-inflam but that makes it worse in the long run hahahaha. gosh im sweating as im typing this how awful.
I think there must be a strong link to acid reflux adding unwanted anxiety. I've always been anxious, but the acid reflux seems to be kicking my sensless atm.

Elly x
Elly_K

Postby snhorn12 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Yeah Prilosec is omeprazole....and yeah anti-inflammatories does make it worse so stay away from those! Elly I'm afraid its like a vicious cycle...anxiety causes acid reflux, and the acid relux worries you so then your anxiety gets worse, and thus so does the acid reflux! You see the dilema?? The key is controlling your anxiety. Good I'm glad you got the books! I would recommend reading the Joyce Meyer book first. It's not a hard read, and I know it will intrigue you :D Keep praying kid that always helps! I know right how weird that we both have this too; that only confirms for me that anxiety is the main culprit for my ailments. I moved away from my family 5 yrs ago, and want so badly to go home. I miss them terribly and is the main cause for all my anxiety/depression :(
snhorn12

Postby daisylou » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:47 am

Hey Elly i suffer from GORD too....i thought it had gone away but have recently been put back on tablets.
i have new ones and as far as im aware they have no side effects. i have before been on Omeprazole and lansoprazole; both of these caused side effects of some sort that i did not get on with.

ive only been on my new ones for just under a week and as i said so far so good :)
my advice is to try to lead a calm life (haha yeah cos anxiety=calm!!) eat well, eat little n often, dont eat late and cut down on foods that can flare it up. for me this is wheat, but dammit i love the stuff so much!

ive so far turned down having the tube down my gullet as im not sure what ill achieve except conformation and pain...let us know how you get on though

DLx
daisylou

Postby Elly_K » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Hiiii

Yes Shorn, I think I know the main reason of my anxiety however its rediculous, and more often than not, I think I dwell on bad past expiereinces. Once Ive finished this course of meds Im on and had the scan, Ill go back if the anxiety is not any better. =]

daisylou, yes I was on omeprazole :) However am on Ranitidine two tablets a day =] I haven't got any side effects so far and I've only started them today. Well I've got a cold sensation and the back of my throat and a hot sensation when I breath out of my nose so heck nose haha.

The cycle of anxiety can be beaten I beilive if the acid reflux in controlled. If that gets under control the anxiety surely will be to an extent, then I can do the rest :) . Yes I do try to lead a calm one but so many stresses are hard to evade these days :/ haha

I feel like taking a nap at the current moment but am forcing myself to stay awake, im a little tired, been up and about all day really. I find it hard to sleep at niight at the moment.
Elly_K

Postby nomochemicals » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Elly_K wrote:Excellent, yes once again seems like you and me share a unique problem, almost exaclty the same.
Prisolec is "omeprazol" Isnt it?

yes yes I got my mum to get them for me from the library :)
I pray atleast once a day and am going to be reading the book also. I would take the citalopram but not yet, I need to see if the stomache acid problem is adding to my anxiety greatly, as it used to, so It may just be tht, if its not, then citalopram may just be the trick. I found this programme called "the Panic Puzzle" Im intregued to wether it will work or not.

IM SO shocked you have acid reflux also!!! I would take an anti-inflam but that makes it worse in the long run hahahaha. gosh im sweating as im typing this how awful.
I think there must be a strong link to acid reflux adding unwanted anxiety. I've always been anxious, but the acid reflux seems to be kicking my sensless atm.

Elly x
PANIC ATTACKS ARE CAUSED BY PEOPLE USING CHEMICAL RESTRAINTS.I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY,NEXT TIME YOU HAVE A PANIC ATTACK GET OUT OF THE ROOM,HOLD YOUR BREATH OR COVER YOUR FACE WITH A HANKERCHIEF YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE IN THE BREATHS YOU TAKETHESE ARE FUME BASED DRUGS NON LETHAL WEAPONS,CHEMICAL RESTRAINTS MOST HAVE NO SMELL,SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN INJECTED WITH A CHEMICAL AVERSIVE, I AM ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE.THESE ARE WORN LIKE PERFUME
nomochemicals

Postby snhorn12 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:05 am

Yes Elly I hear ya, I used to believe that my acid reflux was the only thing causing my anxiety. I soon came to the realiziation that anxiety was what triggered my acid relux, not the other way around. I was in denial ;) I remember literally telling my mom "no mom I'm not anxious I dont need to be on meds again...the only thing making me anxious is my acid reflux and when I get that under control I will be fine!" Boy i was wrong....I got sooooo much worse with my anxiety and acid reflux. Now that my anxiety is better? Tummy feeling much better :) Yes I like Ranitidine. I haven't had any negative side effects with any PPI's or H2 blockers....all safe (I'm a nurse too remember ;)
snhorn12

Postby daisylou » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:07 am

oh im on Ranitidine now, how are you finding them? my stabbing pain has gone but i can still feel the acid bubbling away.
im gutted as my perfect teeth are getting eaten by my stomach acid, so i warn you!! i have to have my first set of fillings at the age of 22 because of this problem!!
daisylou

Postby paulo111 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Elly_K wrote:Right heres the problem:

The cold feeling at the back of my throat when I breath is commonly associated with acid reflux disease which I have had problems with last year and started to slowly creep back this year recently. I am going to go back to the doctor and talk to them about it to see if I can get the tube rammed down my kneck to see what they can do.

Everytime Ive been to my doctor in the absence of telling them I have gastro easophageal reflux disease, and complain about the cold feeling at the back of my throat, they tell me its anxiety and try and put me oon (valium) - (citalopram). I have not taken them, but in the last few days I've started to get panicy about it all again because it's panicing me becuase I dont know what it is. I feel a bit tense in the head and slightly light headed

Elly

Do you have an hiatial hernia? I guess they are going to run an endoscopy? I have had both an endoscopy and colonscopy and to be honest they arent as bad as they sound. The colonscopy probably being slightly worse of the two. Reflux can actually be a root cause of anxiety, in a kind of round about way. Some Dr's will tell you anxiety causes reflux, and others will tell you reflux causes anxiety. There is credibility in both claims. STress can also cause ulcers which affect digestion. The root of my anxiety was a digestive disorder, it wasnt anxiety that caused the digestive disorder, but the other way round. We need to consider both sides of the coin. There are a few things that can cause GERD that I know of, one being stomach acid deficiency, another being hypothyroidism, and another being food allergy. Some medication such as antacids could also contribute, and coffee has an effect on the esophageal sphincter which can cause reflux. I know someone who have reflux as they had h pylori infection. Its quite common. And sometimes h pylori can have minimal symptoms for quite a while, but it protects itself by spitting out ammonia to neutralize stomach acid, resulting in HCL deficiency. HCL (stomach acid) is required for the absorbtion or key vitamins and minerals, the symptoms of many vitamin or mineral deficiencies is anxiety/nervousness.
paulo111
MVP
MVP

Postby Elly_K » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Well that was a lot to read haha
Well, I've seen a doctor in homeopathy and herbal remidies and actually do believe what I've been told in this case as it makes sence.

The sphincter can be loose becuase of too much or too little acid.
So the ideal thing to do in strengthen the sphincter *Centorium* does this, by producing stomache acid and then helping to strengthen the sphincter. So wether it be too much or too little, this is a good thing to invest in to see if it will work.

Well I've decided to tackle it at both ends of the scale. Anxiety and GERD

anxiety
Ive got life plans 50mg twice dailey 5-htp Tablets. Im only taking 2 a day and will test them at different times of the day to see which suits me best.

GERD
The centorium 3 times a day i will be taking and then I've got super digest away to eat with meals.

I want to start building my apetite back up, and start sleeping better, once I've done these I belive that my anxiety will be a little more under control. But I need to let the medications work.

The ranitadine .... well I dont really fell any side effects, I don't really notice anything really....they dont make me tired and they ...well I dont get sharp pains any more. My reall problem is having the hotness when I breath and the hot feeling in my chest..and somtimes when I pass stool.

THE BIG ONE
SLEEP!!! Is essential, and I dont get it, yes I may be asleep but I never really feel like i've had a real good sleep! Which Is primarly what I want. So soon I'm going to see how I am on the 5-htp, If my sleep improves, then well...we'll see how I get on.
Elly_K