Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Depression -> How to Overcome Stress & Anxiety and Depression This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

How to Overcome Stress & Anxiety and Depression

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Depression Resources

Free Depression Learning Path

How Depression Works

Post-natal Depression (article)

Depression and Anxiety, the link (article)

Depression Recovery Program

Treating Depression with Hypnosis (ebook)

Storytelling CD

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
MindMaster

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:37 pm

How to Overcome Stress & Anxiety and Depression    Reply with quote  

Stress, anxiety and depression issues that can destroy a person’s health and hinder their lives in a way that causes them to miss out on positive experiences and good times. The truth is that the majority of things people stress over never even come to pass. This truth alone should help put things into perspective. It is just one of five ways to overcome stress and anxiety.

Statistics show that about 70% of the things people worry about never happen. Think about the fact that none of the things we worry about have actually happened yet. You are spending time being afraid of something that does not exist. Think about how silly it is to make yourself sick over something that is not reality.

The real problem with stress and depression is that it causes us to view problems as much bigger than they truly are. When depression takes over it becomes impossible to think clearly and rationally. Instead all that is left are all the things that are going wrong and images of the inevitable chaos that will ensue.

To combat these over exaggerations, train yourself to take a step back from the situation. Consider, for a moment, everything that is going right. Are you healthy? Do you have friends and family that care about you? Are they healthy? Do you have food in your fridge and a roof over your head? Think about the fact that your kids made it to school safely and that you made it to work safely. Think about the fact that many today did not.

These questions will help put your life into perspective. When these infinitely priceless things are going so right, other problems – even ones that seem very grave like missed deadlines or appointments – matter little. Consider the true, lifelong value of things, people, and situations.

Make time for yourself. Find something you love to do that makes you feel great. Running, painting, dancing, writing, and playing sports are all healthy hobbies that will give your mind and body a break from depression or stress and anxiety. In the end, you will be able to focus better on solutions to the issues that give you stress or depress you.

It may be time to make some difficult changes. If you are stressed from over commitments, simplify your schedule. This means learning to say no and making sacrifices. Maybe you need to focus more on family or cut back on work hours. Simplifying your finances goes hand in hand with this step. Perhaps nights out need to be reduced from 3 to 1. Learn to delay gratification by practicing self-control and restraint. As your finances improve, the stress and anxiety or depression you suffer at its hands will also decrease.

MindMaster has helped thousands of people overcome stress & anxiety and can help reduce depression:

MindMaster: http://MindMaster.TV/success.html
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MindMaster.TV

VelvetBlade

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Re: How to Overcome Stress & Anxiety and Depression    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by MindMaster
Make time for yourself. Find something you love to do that makes you feel great. Running, painting, dancing, writing, and playing sports are all healthy hobbies that will give your mind and body a break from depression or stress and anxiety. In the end, you will be able to focus better on solutions to the issues that give you stress or depress you.

It may be time to make some difficult changes. If you are stressed from over commitments, simplify your schedule. This means learning to say no and making sacrifices.

Very thought-provoking post Smile

Question: I write poetry, I love (what I like to call) amateur photography - just taking pictures of things... Leisure activities include horseback riding.

Why do none of these things really change the overall way I think? Because depression isn't something you can "switch on" or off as you please. And something that hurts me most, and really angers me is when people tell me to snap out of it and to pull myself together... Or when they compare their "average" low moods to true depression by saying, "Oh, yeah, I know how you feel, I often have such days"

Another thing to keep in mind: Depressive episodes doesn't always have a trigger. I'd often just sit there, and then all of a sudden, out the blue I'll feel depressed and then I'll burst into tears if someone asks me if I'm feeling OK... There's not always a "reason" or "cause/trigger" behind it.

My hobbies help a little. For the moment. But many times I'll give up when I'm half-way through because I just don't feel up to it anymore. What would you suggest in such cases? When you don't even want to put one foot in front of the other because you just don't see the point anymore........

Sorry for being a wet blanket Embarassed
paulo111
MVP
MVP

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:22 pm

We must bare in mind some of the risk factors for deperssion are a sick body, its not always psychological trauma. In such cases only addressing the body will cure the depression
VelvetBlade

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:48 am

quote:
Originally posted by paulo111
We must bare in mind some of the risk factors for deperssion are a sick body, its not always psychological trauma. In such cases only addressing the body will cure the depression

DNA? Depression is heriditary... Doesn't matter where it originally came from or what originally caused it, it's just a part of who you are. Depression runs in my family - on my dad's side - so it's not really something I can change, unless I have a complete DNA transfusion and a brain transplant Laughing

Seriously though, sometimes it's as simple as that and no matter what your lifestyle, how healthy your body is or whether or not you've experienced trauma - sometimes it's just.......there.
paulo111
MVP
MVP

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:23 am

quote:
Originally posted by VelvetBlade
quote:

DNA? Depression is heriditary... Doesn't matter where it originally came from or what originally caused it, it's just a part of who you are. Depression runs in my family - on my dad's side - so it's not really something I can change, unless I have a complete DNA transfusion and a brain transplant Laughing

Seriously though, sometimes it's as simple as that and no matter what your lifestyle, how healthy your body is or whether or not you've experienced trauma - sometimes it's just.......there.

It isnt always hereditary though. I had depression and neither of my parents have ever had it. I can develop a condition such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, crohns, all risk factors for depression, and nobody in my family need to of had them before. Certain genetics can make you prone to depression and anxiety though, for example:

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro01/web1/Iskander.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoamine_oxidase
VelvetBlade

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:37 am

quote:
It isnt always hereditary though. I had depression and neither of my parents have ever had it. I can develop a condition such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, crohns, all risk factors for depression, and nobody in my family need to of had them before. Certain genetics can make you prone to depression and anxiety though

There are many "sources" where depression can come from, and in some cases once you get to the root cause, and get that sorted, the depression will vanish too. Not the case though when it's part of your genetic make-up.
paulo111
MVP
MVP

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:40 am

quote:
quote:
It isnt always hereditary though. I had depression and neither of my parents have ever had it. I can develop a condition such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, crohns, all risk factors for depression, and nobody in my family need to of had them before. Certain genetics can make you prone to depression and anxiety though

There are many "sources" where depression can come from, and in some cases once you get to the root cause, and get that sorted, the depression will vanish too. Not the case though when it's part of your genetic make-up.

Maybe you could get your genetics tested and see if you have inherited any of the risk factor genes.
VelvetBlade

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:09 am

quote:
Maybe you could get your genetics tested and see if you have inherited any of the risk factor genes.

You mean to see whether or not my kids will be prone to depression?

Don't think I want children. Personal preference. If it so happens that I do one day have a child or two of my own then at least I'll know the signs / symptoms to watch out for.
paulo111
MVP
MVP

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:20 pm

quote:
quote:

You mean to see whether or not my kids will be prone to depression?

Don't think I want children. Personal preference. If it so happens that I do one day have a child or two of my own then at least I'll know the signs / symptoms to watch out for.

No, to see if your own depression has a biochemical root cause that you may be able to address.
dav1307
MVP
MVP

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:00 pm

quote:
quote:
quote:

Genetic weaknesses can be changed, they can be "turned off" or "turned on".

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: