Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Anxiety and Panic Attacks -> cipralex....why can't I sleep ?..helpp This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

cipralex....why can't I sleep ?..helpp

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Panic Attacks and Anxiety Resources

Free panic attacks course

What are panic attacks? (article)

Panic attacks and your basic needs (article)

Anxiety and depression (article)

Anxiety FAQ

Panic attacks CD

Panic attacks

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
bini

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:29 am

cipralex....why can't I sleep ?..helpp    Reply with quote  

hi there.I have had stool problems for 2 months now and I'm pretty sure it is due to my anxiety and panic attacks. I go to the bathroom like 6 times a day usually at night. My doctor recently prescribed me cipralex 5mg to start for 7 days then 10 mg daily. I am on day 2 now and I can't sleep at night. I take it at night but my doctor said day or night. So I don't know if that's the problem. Will it get better (nervous stomachs and insomnia). I am trying to be patient but its hard when you have 2 kids to take care of . Should I take an ativan at night to help me sleep?

Cooler

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: cipralex....why can't I sleep ?..helpp    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by bini
hi there.I have had stool problems for 2 months now and I'm pretty sure it is due to my anxiety and panic attacks. I go to the bathroom like 6 times a day usually at night. My doctor recently prescribed me cipralex 5mg to start for 7 days then 10 mg daily. I am on day 2 now and I can't sleep at night. I take it at night but my doctor said day or night. So I don't know if that's the problem. Will it get better (nervous stomachs and insomnia). I am trying to be patient but its hard when you have 2 kids to take care of . Should I take an ativan at night to help me sleep?

bini,

Sorry to hear that you are sleepless and suffering.

Cipralex can cause insomnia, but so does anxiety. Also bowel problems and nervous stomach often come from anxiety. My suggestion is to give your meds a bit longer to work and if the symptoms are still there try some alternative therapy. Lots of folks have had relief from a mix of therapies, and we do find something that works for us. Maybe try relaxation exercises, counselling, nutrition, Yoga and/or Shiatsu. There is a lot out there and it works for most people.

Best wishes,

Alex.
paulo111
MVP
MVP

Post Wed May 02, 2012 8:11 am

Maybe on the flip side the bowel problems could be causing the anxiety. Anxiety can be a symptom as well as a condition. If you have bowel issues anxiety is a real possibility as a healthy gut is requried to absorb all the nutrients required to synthesize feel good neurotransmitters. Most people with gut issues have either or both of anxiety/depression, and most conclude the anxiety/depression is an unfortunate symptom of the gut issue, not vice versa. Signing up to a few gut health mailing lists may be of interest.
notodalthenhou

Post Thu May 03, 2012 5:25 am

I am wondering what is up at times I sleep fine other times I don't sleep till like 4:30 am Sad
wakingup

Post Mon May 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: cipralex....why can't I sleep ?..helpp    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by bini

Oh darlin` I'm sorry you're having a rough time. I've been on cipralex 20mg for 2.5 years for an acute panic attack which put me in the hospital. Also, lack of sleep for months and high stress at work. I had no trouble digestively from taking it but did from taking a blood pressure med (sectral) which literally made me lactose intolerant. Returned to normal after switching to something else and getting off the sectral. Didn't realize that caused the lactose thing until I got off it. When the doc put me on cipralex, she also prescribed a sleep aid called PMS zopoclone, which was marvelous and non addictive. I liked ativan but I was concerned about the addictive possibilities with that. I was able to take the odd ativan while on cipralex at the same time but in close supervision with my doctor. I would suggest discussing this with your Doctor. Maybe there's something else out there you could take that doesn't have the same side effect for you. Good luck to you.
Veronic

Post Tue May 08, 2012 9:00 am

Well yes, insomnia is the first side effect that Cipralex has. It may pass, however, if not, your doctor should find some alternative for you..

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: