Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Anxiety and Panic Attacks -> Cipralex withdrawal This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Cipralex withdrawal

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Panic Attacks and Anxiety Resources

Free panic attacks course

What are panic attacks? (article)

Panic attacks and your basic needs (article)

Anxiety and depression (article)

Anxiety FAQ

Panic attacks CD

Panic attacks

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
wakingup

Post Mon May 07, 2012 4:39 pm

Cipralex withdrawal    Reply with quote  

This is a first time post. I'm looking for input on getting off Cipralex 20 mg after taking it for about 2.5 years.

I was prescribed this as a result of suffering what was diagnosed as an acute panic attack which sent me to the ER in an ambulance. I admitted being under alot of stress at work and had been feeling quite anxious. I also had a very bad case of insomnia. I'm awful when I don't get my sleep. When I first started taking it I was quite manic all of a sudden. Couldn't stop talking at times and jumpy, twitchy. It took about of month before I started to feel like it was helping and felt better. I feel much better now and have started to get back on a pretty rigorous exercise program as I have gained about 30 pounds gradually since the attack. Well, I ran out of the cipralex and decided I really want to try to get off it. I stopped it cold turkey a week ago. Bad move it seems...from what I'm reading. I felt great for a week. Suddenly Saturday I experienced boundless energy and then Sunday very tired and weepy. Next to no sleep all weekend too. Today I feel quite depressed and tired and could cry at the drop of a dime. One other thing I'm feeling is this weird sensation in my head. My ears feel like they're going to pop and it feels like some sort of electrical pulse hitting my brain. Happens every few minutes. I'm thinking it's gotta be the withdrawal. I may be heading back to the doc to get some more pills maybe at a smaller dose.

Anybody out there experience this kind of thing coming off this drug? I'm very sorry for the long winded post but I just have never felt like this before. Sweird....

wakingup

Post Wed May 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Cipralex withdrawal    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by wakingup
This is a first time post. I'm looking for input on getting off Cipralex 20 mg after taking it for about 2.5 years.

I was prescribed this as a result of suffering what was diagnosed as an acute panic attack which sent me to the ER in an ambulance. I admitted being under alot of stress at work and had been feeling quite anxious. I also had a very bad case of insomnia. I'm awful when I don't get my sleep. When I first started taking it I was quite manic all of a sudden. Couldn't stop talking at times and jumpy, twitchy. It took about of month before I started to feel like it was helping and felt better. I feel much better now and have started to get back on a pretty rigorous exercise program as I have gained about 30 pounds gradually since the attack. Well, I ran out of the cipralex and decided I really want to try to get off it. I stopped it cold turkey a week ago. Bad move it seems...from what I'm reading. I felt great for a week. Suddenly Saturday I experienced boundless energy and then Sunday very tired and weepy. Next to no sleep all weekend too. Today I feel quite depressed and tired and could cry at the drop of a dime. One other thing I'm feeling is this weird sensation in my head. My ears feel like they're going to pop and it feels like some sort of electrical pulse hitting my brain. Happens every few minutes. I'm thinking it's gotta be the withdrawal. I may be heading back to the doc to get some more pills maybe at a smaller dose.

Anybody out there experience this kind of thing coming off this drug? I'm very sorry for the long winded post but I just have never felt like this before. Sweird....

So went back to the Doctor today to discuss this withdrawal thing. She didn't seem overly concerned about the cold turkey thing when I told her I started on Magnesium malate to help with the withdrawal symptoms so we'll see how it goes. She gave me a refill on the previous (non addictive) sleep aid for the insomnia and I'm hoping for better days ahead with a fresh start with diet and exercise. Haven't exercised in about 7 years. I actually feel like my personality is returning back to normal. A little more fun again. I had become somewhat of an introvert while on Cipralex but didn't really notice it until now. I'm also hoping for a little more labido again. Taking it one day at a time...
Austincarl

Post Thu May 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Coming Off Cipralex    Reply with quote  

I've been off and on antidepressants for many many years. I am presently reducing my dosage from 10 mg to 5 mg. I was taking the latter every day and have experienced withdrawal symptoms like, constipation, the runs, head ache, anxiety. I am now taking 5mg every second day and will do this for a couple of weeks and then start taking 5mg every 3rd day for 2 weeks and then every fourth day for 2 weeks. Based on what I've been reading this seems to be the right course of action.

While I have your attention I think it is important to realize that life does have it's ups and downs. For me personally I wanted to live my life with as little volatility as possible because I think that showing emotion and vulnerability is a sign of weakness. Nothing can be further from the truth! I want to experience all the dark moments in my life FULLY and I also want to experience the highs as fully as possible. I found that the antidepressants numbed me and this is why I've decided to once again come off these drugs.

Don't get me wrong they can be extremely helpful and can be a source of comfort and aid in creating calm in your life. But, I truly believe the underlying factor is that we take these pills because we are not truly happy with our lives, be it our jobs, our relationships, our enviornment in general. Maybe we just simply do not allow ourselves to fully experience our dark moments because the create discomfort and pain and anxiety and depression. We have been lead to believe that now that we are civilized we need act accordingly and surpress our emotions and feelings in general and little by little it builds up in us and we end up feeling a general sense of malaise.
Being human means the we will live an entire life filled with light and dark moments and EVERYONE experiences them in some form or another. I've made a commitment to myself to try and live my life authentically and get off these antidepressants.

I sincerely hope that I can succeed and I will keep you abreast of my progress and regressions.
EerieLee

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:07 am

Cipralex Withdrawl    Reply with quote  

Hi waking up Smile I too experienced some pretty bad withdrawl symptoms coming off of Cipralex. I have been taking 20mg for 7years and my life had become more manageable so I decided I wanted to try living without meds. I weined myself down to 5mg and stopped taking it completly 2 months ago. I was fine the first week and was actually sleeping better than I have in years which was great because I had become an insomniac. I then woke up one morning with a headache and that lasted 2 weeks straight. I then started to get the electric shock sensation through my brain and the headache. It was suggested by my doctor that I go back on the Cipralex to manage the symptoms and come off it slower to avoid these withdrawl symptoms. I decided to sweat it out because I felt like me again not being on them and figured I did'nt need them anymore. The headache is finally gone and the electric shock sensation is gone but for the past 2 weeks I've been having some pretty severe mood swings. I get angry and aggitated easily, panicky, even waking up like that and I cry really easily. I'm hoping this is just part of the withdrawl process and will get better over time as the chemicals in my brain keep adjusting to life without Cipralex. I know diet and exercise can make a huge impact on these issues so Im continuing to sweat it out in hopes of these symptoms going away over time. If my symptoms dont improve in a few weeks I'll have to start taking it again to get through school without breaking down all the time.
toshtao

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:09 am

Re: Coming Off Cipralex    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Austincarl
I've been off and on antidepressants for many many years. I am presently reducing my dosage from 10 mg to 5 mg. I was taking the latter every day and have experienced withdrawal symptoms like, constipation, the runs, head ache, anxiety. I am now taking 5mg every second day and will do this for a couple of weeks and then start taking 5mg every 3rd day for 2 weeks and then every fourth day for 2 weeks. Based on what I've been reading this seems to be the right course of action.

While I have your attention I think it is important to realize that life does have it's ups and downs. For me personally I wanted to live my life with as little volatility as possible because I think that showing emotion and vulnerability is a sign of weakness. Nothing can be further from the truth! I want to experience all the dark moments in my life FULLY and I also want to experience the highs as fully as possible. I found that the antidepressants numbed me and this is why I've decided to once again come off these drugs.

Don't get me wrong they can be extremely helpful and can be a source of comfort and aid in creating calm in your life. But, I truly believe the underlying factor is that we take these pills because we are not truly happy with our lives, be it our jobs, our relationships, our enviornment in general. Maybe we just simply do not allow ourselves to fully experience our dark moments because the create discomfort and pain and anxiety and depression. We have been lead to believe that now that we are civilized we need act accordingly and surpress our emotions and feelings in general and little by little it builds up in us and we end up feeling a general sense of malaise.
Being human means the we will live an entire life filled with light and dark moments and EVERYONE experiences them in some form or another. I've made a commitment to myself to try and live my life authentically and get off these antidepressants.

I sincerely hope that I can succeed and I will keep you abreast of my progress and regressions.

I agree with you fully. We live in an imperfect world. There are ups and downs, and being able to handle and accept them is the best way to combat any sort of discomfort, be it anxiety. Another word for this is willpower. I myself have taken Cipralex and it indeed did help me to cope with the depression I was going through. However, over time I stopped taking it as it was too costly. I did not stop cold turkey though, as that is very unhealthy for your body. Your body must adjust to the change in the same amount of time exercise takes to lose weight.

To summarize, accept any pain that comes your way, as it is normal. As a Kelly Clarkson song once said: What does not kill you, makes you stronger.
Severd_Nerv

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:46 am

cipralex withdrawal    Reply with quote  

hi i was perscribed cipralex 10mg from my doctor last year in august for my anxiety and depression after a stupid mstake of taking drugs for the first time (ecstasy) and must admit they really have hellped me. altho as stated on the previous posts i notticed i wasent completly me on hem sobdecidedto come of them cold turkey and was doing well for 4 weeks but the only major side effecti had on hem was sevear mood swings mostly crabbit, the slightest thing would set me off. so i decided to start taking the cipralex again and the crabitness has gone. iam Going to speak to my doc to see about taking me off them slowly as i really ant to Feel like my old propper self again.

sorry if theres alo of mistaks as im using my PSVita and my big chunky fingers are too bigfor the keys lol
bern

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Hang in there, It gets easier.

I was on Cipralex for three years. Starting on 5 mg, working my way up to 20 mg a day. January of this year I decided to get myself off this medication and deal with life as it happens.

I reduced my intake by half for the first few months and then by half again for the next few months. I was down to 5 mg a day. I would skip a day and take it every other day for a bout two weeks. I went off cold turkey

For the first few days I didn't feel anything at all. Then after about a week without the cipralex I started to feel light headed and dizzy. This would come and go often over the next few days. I would stand up after a period of time and be feeling like i was on some kind of hi.

I'm feeling fine now, I still get a little woozy when I stand after a period of sitting. I am getting stronger by the day, I can feel it.

My advice to anyone who wants to get off this med. Ween yourself off slowly
drugfreelife

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:53 pm

Starting to ween off Cipralex    Reply with quote  

Hello folks,

This is great to have a place to share others experiences and to talk about mine and hopefully gain a better understanding of what I will be going through.

I have been on Cipralex for 5 years and have just finished 8 weeks of going from 30mg to 20mg per day. I am not feeling all that different, probably because the dose is still relatively high. Next week I want to start going down to 10mg per day for another 8 weeks. I have read a lot about side effects of withdrawing from this drug and it sounds pretty frightening in some cases. I am prepared for that but I have some specific questions that I would like to throw out there.

As most of us do, I have a busy life with lots of work and stress, mostly normal type money worries and job responsibilities, no big deal really. My question is this, has anyone experienced not being able to perform their day to day responsibilities properly or had it interfere with their work performance to the point of not functioning at work properly?

Second question. I have not been able to find any information on what people felt like once they came off Cipralex and managed to get through the withdraw ok. What I would like to know is did the problems and symptons return after coming off the drug that you were originally prescribed taking the meds for?

Last but not least, did anybody get their libido back after being off the drug?

I am looking forward to being free of this drug once and for all and appreciate any help and input:)
Totallymuse

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: Starting to ween off Cipralex    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by drugfreelife
Hello folks,

This is great to have a place to share others experiences and to talk about mine and hopefully gain a better understanding of what I will be going through.

I have been on Cipralex for 5 years and have just finished 8 weeks of going from 30mg to 20mg per day. I am not feeling all that different, probably because the dose is still relatively high. Next week I want to start going down to 10mg per day for another 8 weeks. I have read a lot about side effects of withdrawing from this drug and it sounds pretty frightening in some cases. I am prepared for that but I have some specific questions that I would like to throw out there.

As most of us do, I have a busy life with lots of work and stress, mostly normal type money worries and job responsibilities, no big deal really. My question is this, has anyone experienced not being able to perform their day to day responsibilities properly or had it interfere with their work performance to the point of not functioning at work properly?

Hi to Everyone,

It really saddens me when i read all of your comments and experience and how you all been taking the medicine for years, each and everyone who shared his experience here and there made me feel that we all share share the same problems, actually i can't call it a problem its a disaster we all should get rid off soon or later, i feel bad that we are in 2012 and still we dont have a cure for such a disaster, My experience with Cipralex? i felt i was like a zombie, had no feelings at all, moody, but on the other hand i felt great , great as in i stopped feeling like im gona die at any minute of the electrical shock inside my body the weird thing in my head that is awake 24 hours like a black cloud on top of my head chasing me , every small feeling if im cold, or hot or i have a headache or pain in any part of my body my brain send these msgs and telling me that something BIG is going to happen, with cipralex, i didnt feel that anymore yes, for your information its not on cipralex i used to take i used to take valdoxan its really in a matter that it makes you feel sleepy and you sleep in peace even your dreams are nice and no nightmares at all, but it didnt help me as much as cipralex. i tried zoloft as well and prozac all to no avail, the only medicine i really found it useful was cipralex. when i wake up my hand used to shake alot,my teeth are tightly closed and attached to each other, but i did and i repeat i DID feel better with cipralex and my body like told me like i had the feeling that i need to stop cipralex because im fine now, you guys been taking this thing like 3 - 5 - 10 years , i took this medicine for 3 -4 months afer i stopped the medicine everything went back to disaster, i wish if we can find a solution for that and we must stop taking medicine and live a normal life.
thank you all
Mr_otto

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:31 pm

cipralex    Reply with quote  

Thanks to all that have posted. I feel better knowing i am not alone in this.

I have been on cipralex for over a year, after trying celexa at first. Celexa seemed to make my problems worse, after 4 weeks of finding a way to kill myself with anything i could see, i knew it was too dangerous to continue. That is when i started Cipralex 20mg. at first i felt like a zombie, my wife was saddened by the fact that i didnt care much about anything. after a few months and a lot of psyco-social visits, things got better.

I am now at the point where i have been wiening off for the last month. Reading other stories, my sumptoms seem the same, yet i feel they are somehow worse than others. I get the spike of electricity feelings all the time. My biggest problem is the random visits of nausea. as well as body shakes.

after reading about ideas such as chocolate, and warm baths, i can confirm that those tricks have helped me. another one i feel that helps me, is cold drinks ( not alcohol). ice cream as well. I dont know about the whole physical activity. i'm too afraid to go for a walk or run, because 1/2 the time i feel as if i may pass out.

Thanks for the help everyone. good luck with this.
Totallymuse

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Re: cipralex    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Mr_otto
Thanks to all that have posted. I feel better knowing i am not alone in this.

I have been on cipralex for over a year, after trying celexa at first. Celexa seemed to make my problems worse, after 4 weeks of finding a way to kill myself with anything i could see, i knew it was too dangerous to continue. That is when i started Cipralex 20mg. at first i felt like a zombie, my wife was saddened by the fact that i didnt care much about anything. after a few months and a lot of psyco-social visits, things got better.

I am now at the point where i have been wiening off for the last month. Reading other stories, my sumptoms seem the same, yet i feel they are somehow worse than others. I get the spike of electricity feelings all the time. My biggest problem is the random visits of nausea. as well as body shakes.

after reading about ideas such as chocolate, and warm baths, i can confirm that those tricks have helped me. another one i feel that helps me, is cold drinks ( not alcohol). ice cream as well. I dont know about the whole physical activity. i'm too afraid to go for a walk or run, because 1/2 the time i feel as if i may pass out.

Thanks for the help everyone. good luck with this.

Bro, No worries we all have the same sensations and feelings if you read mine it was before yours, we used simlar words, like death, zombie, electric shock lets explain each sensation together

the electric shock is whe the body reach to a state of fear that this time you will not control yourself. the breathing will be unstable and you dont want to think about anything else but to ask some1 to help you coz u feel your going to faint in any minute, this kind of unstablity cause and creates this electric shocks in your body. I found improvements when i started going to Gym and tring to make 6 packs, if you build your body to be stronger the effects will be less when you going to start those panic attacks. another solution and please guys forget about food, yes good food will make you healthier but because of the medicine we are taking there is a pain in the stomach which sometimes we feel its something wrong with our heartbeats, eat less like salad and fruits and if you got hungry at night eat somthing light again, the second solution is socializing, and its a must!! dont be afraid and say if i go out with this girl i might get have panic attack and get embarressed and dont say if im going out with this guy he might see that i am week, imagine it this way since your brain is sending the wrong messages to your body to get the panic attack , everything which will be useful and will make your health better your brain will be against it. always be surrounded of people and people who you love, try to do the things you like to do most, swimming is really helpful becasue your chest will have better breathing pressure after you do exercises , hope what i said was useful well right now im not using cipralex anymore im using a medicine called pristiq desvenlafaxine this is my second day with this treatment ill will let you know after 7 - 12 weeks if this medcine is better or not than cipralex.
Shel1973

Post Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:28 pm

Re: Cipralex withdrawal    Reply with quote  

I was on Cipralex for 5 years. After 4 years I was able to wean from 20 mg to 10 mg. I stayed at 10 mg for a year. During that time I tried unsuccessfully to get off the 10 mg cold turkey and weaning. It was very difficult. However, I found a weaning plan that worked for me.

I went 10 mg, 5 mg and alternated each day for 2 weeks. Then I went to 5 mg straight for 2 weeks. I did have some side effects, but nothing major like hearing going in and out like I had before (it was bizarre). When I got to 5 mg only, I took a B100 Vitamin five 3 times a day with meals.

After 2 weeks of 5 mg, I went to 5 mg, 2.5 mg alternating each day, for 1 week. I increased the B100 to 4 times a day.

Then I went to 2.5 mg only for 2 weeks and stayed with the B100 4 times a day.

After 2 weeks I alternated a day of 2.5 and then a day of nothing. Did this for 2 weeks and went up to B100 5 times a day.

Then I was completely off. At this point i took 5 of the B100 each day and then each week after lowered it until it was 2 a day. I find this works for me and I still take a B100 or two a day.

I cut out a lot of beef, chicken, eggs and dairy, and lost 13 pounds so far of the 25 i gained.

Hope this works for someone else out there - good luck!

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: