Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Depression -> Dreaming too much.... This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Dreaming too much....

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Depression Resources

Free Depression Learning Path

How Depression Works

Post-natal Depression (article)

Depression and Anxiety, the link (article)

Depression Recovery Program

Treating Depression with Hypnosis (ebook)

Storytelling CD

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
SpeedStick

Post Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:00 pm

Dreaming too much....    Reply with quote  

Hi everyone... first of just wanted to thank everyone here for the support and info I find on this board... I appreciate it...

There's a specific symptom I have, which I believe is depression-related, though I'm not sure.... I dream too much at night. I have no problem falling asleep, but when I do it's like I'm in constant REM phase. I dream from the moment I fall asleep until the moment I wake up. Obviously this is not a healthy sleep pattern and it's been causing some other problems for me, such as fatigue throughout the day.

I should note that I'm not on any meds at the moment at all... just taking basic vitamins and some fish oil... has anyone here experienced this symptom before, and if so, have you found a way to solve it (through antidepressants or other means)? I'm worried because I've visited a lot of depression-related websites, but haven't really encountered anyone else with symptom.... also tried a couple of different sleeping aids, but they did not help....

any info/knowledge you have about this would be great.... I'm actually kinda hoping it's a depression-related symptom as then I'll know what the cause of it is, but again, haven't found much info on it.... thank you..

briary

Post Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:40 pm

Hi Speedstick

The high amount of dreaming you are doing is very common with depression and something that I too experience.

If you take at look at the Depression Learning Path you will see an explanation of the link between the excessive amount of rumination depressed people do and how this causes higher than average amounts of REM sleep and dreams.

Karen
SpeedStick

Post Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:10 pm

Hi Karen,

Thanks... I must have missed or forgotten about the mention on that link.... funny that few if any other sites seem to mention it....

Have you found that your dreaming has decreased with the use of ADs or any herbal remedies?... For me it's also caused vision bluriness among other things, which I find extremely frustrating, so any way I could decrease it would be great.... I read somewhere that certain ADs do infact decrease REM sleep, but there doesn't seem to be much info on that...

*edit: I've also read that some people suffering from depression are actually helped by intentional sleep deprivation (even going 36-48 hours w/o sleep). Could this be linked to overdreaming/too much REM?
Hopeful

Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:55 pm

HI Speedstick

I have been dreaming excessively recently also and some nights seem to dream continuously all night, my dreams are often intense, upsetting and closely related to the thoughts I've been having throughout the day. These dreams are often accompanied by increased sweating I think. You will probably find that many people here experience intense dreaming and this is proportinate to the amount of rumination during the day.

i don't think there's anything really can be done about this, though it's not so bad if the dream's are pleasant, though it does make you exhausted the next day.
briary

Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:05 pm

Hi Speedstick

I don't think sleep deprivation is really going to be particularly helpful. I am suffering from insomnia at the moment and all it does is make the other stuff so much more difficult to cope with.

The way to help reduced this excessive dreaming is to tackle the amount of time you spend ruminating during the day. This Stop Ruminating exercise could help with this.

At other times of the day, consciously turn your mind to other things when you find yourself ruminating. Distract yourself with something else. Go do something else, anything that requires you to focus entirely on it.

Hope you might find these suggestions more helpful.

Karen
melissa bamford

Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:31 pm

Hi Speed Stick

Just wanted to let you know as soon as my head hits the pillow i,m off into dreamland immediately!

I have teribbly realistic nightmares that leave me exhausted the next morning, as well as blurred vision, like yourself- i would say its the depression, i try and use some lavender drops on my pillow and make sure i don't watch anything too heavy on television before i sleep.

All the best

Melissa
SpeedStick

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:58 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone. Does anyone know if the mainstream antidepressants would help with this problem? Does making you happier (provided they work) necessarily mean cutting down on your ruminating?
supersezza

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:34 pm

ADs are supposed to help with sleep, but speaking from personal exp they didn't help me in that respect.

Is there anything in your life that you are thinking about heavily? Think about how u can address the causes of stress in your life and work on cutting or changing those?
BEwildered

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:12 pm

So what about not dreaming??

I hardly ever had dreams partly because I feel that I often don't sleep soundly enough to have dreams.

Though recently I've been having quite a lot of weird dreams...

Is it possible to be so bad at being asleep that it's not possible to dream..?
melissa bamford

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:17 pm

Hi Speed stick

I think you should speak to your doctor about how you feel at moment, and like sarah said the ADs are suposed to help with sleep but they don't always work for everyone.

When you constantly ruminate, this tends to extend to your dreams which can be heavy and sometimes that includes having nightmares. In my experience the AD's have stopped me ruminating as much, but that has also been hepled by seeing a therapist as well, I suppose it goes along with your good days and bad days.

good luck Melissa
briary

Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:25 pm

Hi Speedstick

Antidepressants can help to lift mood a little in some people, however they do not suddenly make you feel happy and it is still necessary to work on things like reducing rumination and changing thought patterns etc.

Some antidepressants have a sedative effect for some people, while others can cause insomnia. It really is an individual response, so there is no guarantee the medication will help you sleep.

Karen
shenila

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:57 am

Hi! I have this same problem since I was in my early twenties and now I am 33 years old. I start dreaming as soon as I sleep and continue doing that non stop one after another dream till the time I wake up in the morning or even in the middle of the night. When I go back to sleep after going to the toilet or after drinking water, my dream usually continues from where it was left off. Most of my dreams do not make sense to me at all and they have hardly any connection with my life. My dreams are very disturbing and they make me so tired all day at work. Sometimes even when I wake up in the morning, I feel my limbs are still sleeping and I find it so difficult to get out of bed and do my chores. Some of the dreams that I have are reoccuring for example one dream I have very often is that I am driving a car and its out of control and the breaks are not working, either I am driving forward or gonig reverse, but in both cases, I feel I am going to bang into a big truck or a wall and get killed.
I would appreciate it very much if someone could help me and tell me how I can sleep peacefullyl at night. I often feel that I have not slept at all and my brain has not stopped functioning all night long.
[/b]
heatherlinks

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi Speed Stick,

Try to reduce your stress and be more relax. I think you have to start doing some exercise i.e. jogging, gyms, etc. it normally works.
diteras

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:40 pm

quote:
Originally posted by shenila
Hi! I have this same problem since I was in my early twenties and now I am 33 years old. I start dreaming as soon as I sleep and continue doing that non stop one after another dream till the time I wake up in the morning or even in the middle of the night. When I go back to sleep after going to the toilet or after drinking water, my dream usually continues from where it was left off. Most of my dreams do not make sense to me at all and they have hardly any connection with my life. My dreams are very disturbing and they make me so tired all day at work. Sometimes even when I wake up in the morning, I feel my limbs are still sleeping and I find it so difficult to get out of bed and do my chores. Some of the dreams that I have are reoccuring for example one dream I have very often is that I am driving a car and its out of control and the breaks are not working, either I am driving forward or gonig reverse, but in both cases, I feel I am going to bang into a big truck or a wall and get killed.
I would appreciate it very much if someone could help me and tell me how I can sleep peacefullyl at night. I often feel that I have not slept at all and my brain has not stopped functioning all night long.

Shenila - you dont tell us too much about what other things might be going on in your life at the moment? Are you taking any medication? Have you discussed these things with a GP? - a cousellor?
It sounds like you have a deep fear of something about to happen outside your control, also I get a sense of an underlying low mood - hence the low motivation. You are talking of a symptom here. There must be more. Something is stimulating you to dream in this way.
[/b]
stella_blues

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi There- Dreaming indicates a seratonin/melatonin issue- too much of a good thing, I guess you could say. Wink Here's an interesting, brief article you might find helpful...

http://www.geocities.com/hairybobby2000/dreamcircadian.html

I actually never dreamed when I was depressed, but I did wake early. Now that I'm on an anit-depressant that increases seratonin, I dream constantly- very strange, vivid dreams that I recall throughout the day, and before I fall asleep I usually recall the dreams I had the night before- only it's not a problem for me. I don't mind at all - I actually think the dreams are novel and interesting.

Dreaming a lot does indicate you're not spending enough time in the deeper, more restful stages of sleep. Normally, the REM stage (dreaming stage) occurs just after falling asleep or just before waking- a person should only spend about 20% of sleep time in REM. So it makes sense that if one spends most of the night in REM, feeling tired and lacking energy during waking hours will be the result. Exhaustion causes one to be less active, less inclined to excercise, and this feeds depression. It can be a vicious cycle.

Try taking a sleep aid. I take diphenhydramine (a children's dose of Benedryl, as it's called here in the states) sometimes to help me get through REM. It's very safe, totally non-addictive, and you can get it over the counter, without a prescription. It's also fairly inexpensive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: