Long term weed habit - getting control or quit

Postby wolfyt78 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:57 pm

Hi people
Ive been lurking an reading all your posts for quite awhile now . it makes me feel better to know there are people who have actually succeded in beating this.
My story in brief I'm 39 male ive been smoking weed almost my entire life as far back as I can remember parents smoked and still do! also most of my social circle.i apologise for my bad grammer was stoned all through my teenage years .somehow I have a decent job,, great partner,. brilliant kids.I am healthy go to gym religiously. people looking in must think I have my sh** together buts its all a front . I quit for about a year couple years back but stupidly started again jus a little at first then back to full on. I'm on day 5 and am so ready to finally get clean for good ! the withdrawals have started already cant sleep ,sweating severe depression but i know they will only get worse . good luck to everyone on the same path it will be long.. It will be rough but hopefully we can come out the other side . your posts help a lot thanks
wolfyt78

Likes Received: 4

Postby Furtive » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Gold luck wolfyt78 and thank you.

I think Pearl Jam's song RearViewMirror expresses a lot of the feelings of getting clean.

'Saw things so much clearer
Once you were in my rear view mirror.
I gather speed from you f**k**n with me.
Once and for all I'm far away
hardly believe...finally the shades are raised'

Also I like to think how my mind changed since I started this thread.
Getting control or quitting.
Hmm.
Now I think that was a false choice and the title should really be:
Getting control IS quitting.
Furtive
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 170

Postby Furtive » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:13 pm

Been having some cravings recently
Hot sunny days and physical work can bring a sense of 'deserving it', celebration of achievement is a trigger for my old habit

I know beyond any doubt that getting stoned would be disappointing AND bring the cravings back worse tomorrow
I know I've beaten my way through much worse cravings than this before
And that it's often darkest just before dawn (recovery comes in waves)

Just got to hang on sometimes and wait
Furtive
Preferred Member

Postby Purplemoonpie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:22 am

Hi, I just came across your post. I dont know who else to talk to about this. I am a 32 year old female who appears, from the outside, as a chick who doesn't smoke weed. I am a girly girl, I run five miles a day and had a really good job until about a month ago. I don't talk about weed unless someone brings it up, and I won't use it around people I don't know aren't okay with it. But I am I guess what you could say is a pot head. I started smoking weed in college and quickly started buying it after. I don't want to know how much i've spent on weed. But it pretty much dictates my life. I love to smoke in the mornings, on my lunch break, and when i work out after work all i can think about is getting high. Then I get high all night long. It is such a comfy drug, it makes me content with living and being alone, makes me content not having much to do at night and makes me sleep like a baby. On days I am hungover, the only thing that cures the nausea is weed. I love weed. It makes me relax, makes me mellow, makes me content. However recently I lost my job and if I want a good paying job, I'm gonna have to take a drug test. So i tried quitting and only made it a few days before relapsing at a party. I bought a half eighth two days ago and have smoked that already. It is now late night, I am wide awake and bored to death. I hit up the few people I know who can get weed and to no avail. I tried scraping out the resin, I even got a flashlight and looked under the couch and found a few small buds. They were covered in dust but I didn't care. I smoked them and wanted more, and realized what a fiend I am. Everyone says marijuana isn't addicting but I disagree. I wish I could be like some of my friends, who buy weed but only smoke it on a Friday night, or special occasion...they can make an 8th of weed last over a month. I am tired of chasing it, I am tired of spending money on it, I am tired of NEEDING it (or feeling like i need it) just to get through my day. I am tired of going out and having fun and wanting to leave early so I can go home and smoke weed. I do wish it could be legal here. I find it so much better than alcohol, which makes me do stupid things and feel terrible the next day. But for now I need to quit and finding it so hard. Especially being so desperate that I'll smoke dusty bits from under my couch. I can't seem to relax without it. Days without aren't bad but nights are terrible. I've googled things to do at night besides smoke weed, I've read ways to relax without the drug, but it's tough. Did you find it hard to sleep at night? Relax in the evening? D
Purplemoonpie

Likes Received: 0

Postby Gitana » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:51 am

Welcome here PurpleMoonPie - sadly your stories sound very familiar to me (and a lot of us here), but the good news is that you say you are TIRED of a lot things attached to weed: that is to me a very good starting point to get where you want to be.
So if this is the right time, yes, it might very well turn out to be a sleepless stressful time to go through, but if you keep in mind all the aspects and consequences you mentioned, that might help you remember why you do this. And you want to pass that drug test anyway (there are a lot of cleansing advice online for this and they work well (i did it).
Maybe it is time for you to start your own thread and join the party :) Keep us posted!
Gitana

Likes Received: 33

Postby Furtive » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:52 pm

Purplemoonpie wrote:Hi, ...Did you find it hard to sleep at night? Relax in the evening? D

Hi, yeh, it was hard for about 6-8 weeks when I first quit.
But the thing is, it was bad ON the weed as well.
I'd got to the point where my weed tolerance was scary, I was in a constant state of withdrawal even with a crazy intake of weed.

So I decided to fully sober up, and just endured, focusing on the improvements and moments of clarity.

I'd be interested to know how your running feels as you get through withdrawal.
The pleasure of running affects the same receptors so you might find it unrewarding for a couple of months.
Stick with it, though, and it should get better than it was.
Furtive
Preferred Member

Postby Furtive » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:33 pm

Still on the wagon. 11 months.
Obviously i’m pleased with this; I feel I’m in control and I like myself a lot more than when I was chronic.
But I’m definitely ‘on the wagon’, rather than ‘cured’.

Funny to say it like that but it has been a repeated, conscious decision to stay off weed sometimes.
Some days it’s been a craving, a wanting to feel it physically in my throat/lungs from mid-morning to night
Not quite so sure I want to actually feel stoned, though, even when I crave it like that I still don’t want to get hazy messy sluggish consequences.
So I keep that in mind when it’s tough.
It’s like I had the luxury of not struggling with craving for long enough that when it comes back it’s harder to dismiss

Most of the time, most days, I don’t think about it.
Fireworks night I must have smelled weed 20 times, but no real temptation to actually try to get it.
Often I find the smell a bit threatening rather than tempting.
Usually the person making the smell looks paranoid, or psycho, and I don’t want to be like that, obviously.
It always seems excessive - it smells like they’re hitting up about 50x more than a reasonable dose.

I don’t have any and I’ve avoided old friends who might have it.
Having a baby and being knackered & busy helps distract me from it.
It’s much easier than it was when I first quit back in December 2013.

But I’m not out of the woods yet.
But it’s okay & I’m happy
Furtive
Preferred Member

Postby seeingthelight » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:23 am

Pat yourself on the back. 11 months is great! It’s a especially good decision when you have a baby in the picture. Stay on the wagon and keep us posted on your progress!
seeingthelight

Likes Received: 20

Postby Furtive » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks, yes I am proud of how I’ve smashed my weed consumption for the last 4 years, and learned to live better.
Not been noticing improvement for a while and been worrying about other things.

I’ve been struggling with reduced sleep due to the baby, which feels similar to weed damage -
Knackered, memory loss, constantly distracted so can’t get things done, etc.
Guess I’d be sectioned by now if I’d carried on stoning with all this extra load.

The main thing is facing up to who I am, and what I must do to be happy at work.
I either manage stress better, or Take a radically different career path.

With weed out of the way, I can take correct steps towards a proper solution.
I used to use weed to mask the problem (which would sort of work until catastrophic fail) and not face it.
Furtive
Preferred Member

Postby seeingthelight » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:25 am

I’d say the 3 biggest things to make you happy at work:

1. Doing a good job
2. Being a part of the company and trying to build good work relationships
3. Work on stress Management

As for feeling tired.. Having a baby is a huge responsibility. Being up all hours of the night will wear you out. Feeling like you’re hungover, sounds natural in this situation. Try and find a ways to get more rest and regain your focus. Either way, weed isn’t going to help your cause. You’ll be more tired and hungover.. And an epic fail is inevitable
seeingthelight

Likes Received: 20

Postby tokes » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Purplemoonpie wrote: found a few small buds. They were covered in dust but I didn't care. I smoked them and wanted more? D

Lmao
tokes

Likes Received: 12

Postby Ade,wales » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Good on ya furtive
Ade,wales

Likes Received: 87

Previous

Return to Addictions