SAD and finding a job

Postby OneTwoThree123 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:28 am

Hi,
I suffer from social anxiety. Most of the time I have a severe feeling of worthlessness and a knot in my stomach. For the moment I'm looking for a job. It has been 5 months now. Having this crap doesn't help me find a job faster. Sometimes I just want to leave to a country like New Zealand and start a farm to be with nature and away from people. I don't understand why life has become so depressing
OneTwoThree123

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:52 pm

You can take small steps to address your social anxiety. Getting out every day, going to a coffee shop, having a conversation can all help. Like physical fitness, strength and confidence comes with repetition. It takes time and we can all improve. When you stop, it fades.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 730

Postby OneTwoThree123 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks for your reply Richard. I've seen a therapist last year for about four months but unfortunately that didn't help. I've been using CBT tapes for more than a year now. They help sometimes, but no radical permanent change. Physical exercice is the same, it can help for the afternoon or so but no real permanent change. It can get better as the day goes by, the problem is that every morning I wake up it comes back. It's like a permanent black cloud that seems the pursue me.
OneTwoThree123

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:22 pm

CBT tapes?

It truly is unfortunate. That is not how CBT works. That is like using tapes as your personal trainer.

CBT requires human interaction, same as a personal trainer.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby OneTwoThree123 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:44 pm

Yes, they're self-help tapes (sessions) in which there is a weekly assignment.
Problem is that I can't afford a personal CBT therapist for private lessons, I'm a young graduate without a job.
OneTwoThree123

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:19 pm

Take the tapes, throw them away or delete them.

Take the same amount of time/energy you used each week for a year listening to tapes and instead, take that same time/energy to get out of your house/apt and go to a coffee shop or any other place where social interactions occur. Every single day.

Given you are applying for jobs, I take it you are capable of going to places where people gather.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP