Off weed for almost 3 years, Now I must quit drinking

Postby BCBUDFREE » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:56 pm

What a ride. Lat time I posted here I was fighting the urge to call my weed dealer. Now I have been completely clean for 3 years. I forget what it was like to be stoned and I don't miss it one bit.

But.... now I have become a bit of a booze bag. The parallels with weed are pretty crazy. Drink...stop, guilt, pour it out, crave, crave, buy drink... repeat. I think it is time to stop. This is the place that I stopped smoking so this is the place I will stop drinking for good.

IT was really cool to look back on my last post from smoking weed> I love that this formum lets you see the date. You know when you "said" you would quit.

With weed I relapsed over and over but finally beat it. I expect the same for booze but at least its a start. Tomorrow will be day one for me and I will pst then . Be well my internet friends and if I can quit you can to. Much love

BCbudfree out
BCBUDFREE

Likes Received: 16

Postby BCBUDFREE » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:34 am

Man it is so easy to go and buy some beer. I guess its even easier in other parts of the world. We don't have booze in the grocery stores here yet.

Funny how the people at the beer store are soo friendly. Welcome, pick your poison, come back soon. I guess I just don't relate to people who have control of their drinking.

Anyway I guess tomorrow will be day one again.
BCBUDFREE

Postby BCBUDFREE » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:20 am

There is always tomorrow. Day one again. I feel like a bag of crap for keeping on drinking. Any words of support would help right now
BCBUDFREE

Postby Lakshmi » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:34 am

I just want to say hang in there mate. As you said you slipped many times before successfully quitting weed and now the same process perhaps with drinking . Remember why you want to quit and how much better you will feel once you get through the worst and then become stronger each day . Best of luck keep on trying as it's only when we stop trying that we fail. I am still trying to quit and won't quit my quitting attempts:)
Lakshmi

Likes Received: 7

Postby bluey105 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:33 pm

How are you getting on?
bluey105

Likes Received: 11

Postby BCBUDFREE » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:55 am

Still at it ... still drinking and stopping and drinking. Deep down I know I must stop but I don't . I drink about 8 beers a night and still want more. I want to be a pilot so I hope that goal will help me quit.
BCBUDFREE

Postby Soberchic » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:16 am

Bcbudfree have you tried AA they really help get you sober and help you stay sober. I haven't drank, used opiates, or crack in almost 5 years and AA saved my life. Im now 6 mo. Off weed and i got honest with people that i wasnt really clean my whole recovery.Addicts tend to switch off with substances, so its could to join AA to get help. All you need to have is a desire, if you dont like one meeting try a different one..good luck
Soberchic

Likes Received: 39

Postby BCBUDFREE » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:33 am

I am pretty determined to do this on my own. I decided to start by not ever drinking at home. I realized that this is the root of my problem! When I have allot of beer in the fridge or any other alchohol with easy access I tend to gulp it down. So last night I poured out a bunch of beer after pretty much drinking all day . Haven't had a drink today.

So here is my plan ! Don't drink at home don't bring booze home don't drink my wife's wine.....don't buy hard stuff...... Sure have a drink or two when out with friends or at dinner but don't buy more on the way home. Have a drink at special occasions but do not bring booze home!!!!!!

This plan will absolutely help me ...I just need to stick to it.
BCBUDFREE

Postby BCBUDFREE » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:16 pm

I am on day one again here. I did read about the 12 steps at AA. I am starting on the first one. I am powerless over alcohol once I start drinking.The second part of step 1 "my life has become unmanageable"..... well i am not there yet but if i stay on they course I will be there. I feel like I do have the power to not drink at all because i have stopped for months at a time in the past.

It is a really slippery slope that first drink. I need to avoid all situations where there is drinking for a while. I need to drive right past the beer store knowing I am going to change my life for the better.

For me it has been a case of denial that I can just moderate drinking. This never works for me! I must quit completely.

If it is in the house I will likely drink it and I work at home so I will likely start right after taking the kids to school if I Have beer or strongbow in the fridge. My wife doesn't know because I put the booze in my little bar fridge downstairs. I think she might suspect when I have downed a six pack but usually I just get happier when I drink. I am not abusive or angry. She might not know at all.

Anyway it starts today. I have a problem and moderation is not the answer at this time. I need to stop starting today. I am not going to think about how long I will quit for or quitting forever. I am just going to stop today and then tomorrow and then the next day. Each day I will get stronger and my body won't crave as much. I will exercise and work on my business and projects with a clear head and a healthy body.

It isn't that hard if you think about it. Just don't have a drink. No big deal!! I think the fear of starting to drink and knowing that it will not end well will help me. I know 100% for sure now that if I have even one drink after months of sobriaty I am in danger of going back to 10 drinks a day.

SO thats it. I won't drink today. I won't drink tomorrow and keep it going.

Every day we sleep and wake up to a new opportunity. A new world with amazing possibilities. All we need is the focus, drive and energy to go out, face the challenge of life and make it work for us.

See you on day two my friends.
BCBUDFREE

Postby BCBUDFREE » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:50 pm

DAY 2... Lizard brain
Sure is nice to come here and write whatever I want knowing there is a supportive group of people to share thoughts and experiences with. Ya Its only day two for me being off the drink but I feel better today. Not physically... fell pretty crappy in that regard actually with a bit of a cold but mentally I feel better.

I started reading a book by one of the lead doctors ate the Betty Ford Clinic.The book is called "BEING SOBER" . It is like $50k to go to the Betty Ford clinic for help so 12$ on the Apple book store seems like a good deal!

I have read about this before the difference between the lizard brain and the front brain. What I realized was my almost unconscious trips to the liquor store to buy more booze are the lizard at work! . The mid (lizard) brain seems to put your whole being on auto pilot and make you go get your drug of choice. Pretty crazy when you think about it. And thinking about it and identifying triggers while maintaining sobriety is really important I think. If you can identify the trigger and slow down your thinking you will undoubtedly make a better decision.

With my experience, if I take a few seconds to consider the decision I am making, to buy more booze.... I will realize the consequences and make better choice. If I just go with it (my gut or the lizard) I will likely slip up as my mid brain thinks I Need the booze (or drugs) to survive. I also learned the the mid brain can kind of hijack the frontal cortex and make it seem like the right thing to do in a way. Once you have decided to buy more it is very tough to back down and change your mind. I guess lizards are stubborn like that :)

Thats all for now. I will pass on thoughts from this book as I get through it in hopes it will help others here
BCBUDFREE

Postby Gitana » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:16 am

Congrats for the move BCBF!
I didnt know about that lizard brain but it describes pretty well what i went through each time i wantet "not to buy" and ended up buy twice as much..
I thought it was just "will power", which made me sound weak.. Now, with the dual brain theory, i already feel twice as smart.. I could never stop myself to having "one last one" that would end up being the "one too many" (glass, bottle, joint..) that would kill my night sleep and my mood the following day. It took pain (migraine) to make me stop booze - and still, gradually. My social life took a toll indeed - now i m able to hang with inebriated people without minding too much. It s like being surrounded with kids and being the grownup - not the most fun, but not unbearable!

Anyway, hang on there, you seem motivated and you did it pretty well with the weed (i m still there..).

Best!
Gitana

Likes Received: 29

Postby BCBUDFREE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:22 pm

Today was a good day. Day 6 with no alcohol! I am feeling better and happier today.

The booze must be leaving my system now. Had some cravings today but I stopped and thought about it and moved forward. Made me realize how easy it is to start again. So easy!! I need to be on my game to say no and not cave. To realize that the next drink could be the one that ruins my life.

The book i am reading (Being Sober) Goes through the 12 steps and puts them in easy to understand terms.

Thank for the comments Gitana!!!

I know I Can succeed now and I am excited to get to a place where having a drink just isn't even on my mind any more and my highs come from life not chemicals!

BCBF out
BCBUDFREE

Postby Quinnster » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:43 am

Go get um Bud Free! I did addictions the opposite way. Was an alcoholic first. Traded addictions for weed and got addicted to that in short order. Some of us just have a predisposition to it. Either way, keep off alcohol. It is a very hard addiction to stop. It will get much worse and much harder to stop as time goes on and can escalate quickly. It is also not something that can be moderated from my experience. Good luck! There is a very good forum called Sober Recovery you should look at. This one is good too, but that one was very focused on alcohol.
Quinnster

Postby Soberchic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:10 am

So happy for you i haven't drank in almost 5 yrs along with some other substances..I spoke at my meeting tonight..ill have 7 mo off weed in 8 days god willing.. Theres anotherboom called "Living sober" its a great book for the beginning of sobriety..i loved it and its an easy read. Stay on your journey and keep it in the day and keep it simple
Soberchic

Likes Received: 39

Postby BCBUDFREE » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Day 15 , Last few days i have been in the mountains with family. Lately it seems harder for them to accept the fact that i am not drinking than it is for me ! I guess i am starting to experience some realities of being sober. Cravings are less. Thanks all for the support. I feel like i made ut through the worst of it. From 8-10 beers a night to Nil. Feels good. One thing that has helped is an app called habitbull. Check it out!
BCBUDFREE

Next