Working and managing grief

Postby turtleswim » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:28 pm

It is hard to do anything when grief strikes. The Orlando shooting is hard to understand. I need to keep things simple and keep up with studies in my graduate program. I took a couple days to reflect and mourn for the victims. Now I need to buckle down and do some school work. It is hard to feel motivated when faced with a huge wave of grief. Still I think I can live my life and take small steps. Big changes are not my focus. Being mindful and helping people is my goal. One thing I can do for myself is turn off the cable TV. There is too much violence on TV. It brainwashes people. When I turn off my TV or limit my exposure to it, I feel healthier. Getting the news from the internet is much less toxic than cable TV. I promise if I ever raise a child to limit what kinds of TV he or she sees growing up. Does any body else think too much TV can brainwash people into acting without morals?
turtleswim
Junior Member
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:48 am
Likes Received: 2


#1

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:08 pm

turtleswim wrote: I took a couple days to reflect and mourn for the victims.


Why? Which victim did you personally know? The reason I'm asking is because I'm curious why you feel it is justified for you to take a couple of days to mourn?
User avatar
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 8739
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 879

#2

Postby quietvoice » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:34 pm

turtleswim wrote:The Orlando shooting is hard to understand.

Could it possibly be because it's another in a long line of psyops (psychological operations) being used against the US citizens?
User avatar
quietvoice
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:14 pm
Likes Received: 178

#3

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:17 am

quietvoice wrote: Could it possibly be...


No, it couldn't.

While we are all ignorant of 99.9% of reality, those ignorant of the .1% of reality that is known are susceptible to believing in global conspiracies.
User avatar
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 8739
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 879

#4

Postby quietvoice » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:48 am

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:
quietvoice wrote: Could it possibly be...


No, it couldn't.

While we are all ignorant of 99.9% of reality, those ignorant of the .1% of reality that is known are susceptible to believing in global conspiracies.

Nothing to do with "believing", sir. Open your eyes. These events are getting more ridiculous as time goes on.
User avatar
quietvoice
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:14 pm
Likes Received: 178

#5

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:08 am

quietvoice wrote:Nothing to do with "believing", sir.


It has everything to do with believing and a lot to do with ignorance. People that live digital lives are highly ignorant of certain aspects of reality. They are highly susceptible to certain beliefs. Turn off your computer and go travel the world.
User avatar
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 8739
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 879

#6

Postby quietvoice » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:28 pm

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:
quietvoice wrote:Nothing to do with "believing", sir.


It has everything to do with believing and a lot to do with ignorance. People that live digital lives are highly ignorant of certain aspects of reality. They are highly susceptible to certain beliefs. Turn off your computer and go travel the world.

So, when I travel the world and find corruption in media and governments, and come back to tell you about it, you'll then look into (at lease the possibility) of media fakery?
User avatar
quietvoice
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:14 pm
Likes Received: 178

#7

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:04 pm

quietvoice wrote:So, when I travel the world and find corruption in media and governments, and come back to tell you about it, you'll then look into (at lease the possibility) of media fakery?


"At least the possibility" that is what is most ignorant. It lacks basic critical thinking skills. It is the idea that if you travel and you discover that tragedy does occur, that death and destruction are a reality, the defense to maintain ignorance is to say, "Well, okay, this time it really happened, but all the others were possibly faked."

OF COURSE the media can manipulate things, OF COURSE there exists fake reports. Photoshop is nothing new. Because there are a few fake and manipulated photographs of the civil war, you want to conclude the civil war never happened. The battle of Gettysburg where tens of thousands died was media fakery. Stalin has some faked photos, so you conclude WWII must have been faked.

OF COURSE there is government corruption. I have seen it, I have lived it. But maybe the riots in the streets of Bogota were some elaborate hoax to fool me. Maybe you say the riots never took place as you were not there. The images in the media were possibly faked you say.

When I say it is an ignorant view that lacks critical thinking, it is because one person will demonstrate that they can edit a video and then gullible people begin to believe that all video is fake, that all pictures are fake. It never occurs to them that just because it can be done, doesn't mean it is always being done.

And it is not just video and photos. There are public records across tens of agencies that would need to be faked and coordinated. Nurses, doctors, paramedics, police and fire would all have to be part of the "fakery". And even if it was all filmed in a studio, even if it was super secret CGI, there would still be the outcry from those living in the area that it was indeed a hoax, an Orwelian war of the worlds radio broadcast. Within minutes FB would be flooded with messages...but maybe you believe FB doesn't exist either, that it is also fake, with fake people.

The cure for ignorance is knowledge. Go to Gettysburg, visit Dresden, travel, get out from behind your fake digital world and gain some knowledge.
User avatar
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 8739
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 879

#8

Postby turtleswim » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi. Thanks for all the notes! I am surprised my post inspired so much thought! I think grief needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. I don't want to hold it in. Blogging is smart. TV can be unhealthy. Internet can be too. I guess it's a matter of wisdom, knowing how to use restraint. I have been in an online program for one and a half years. There definitely needs to be time outdoors, creative time. I spend half the day online, the other half making pots. That seems ok for now.
turtleswim
Junior Member
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:48 am
Likes Received: 2

#9

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:56 pm

turtleswim wrote: I think grief needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. I don't want to hold it in.


But, why are you grieving? You did not know any of the victims personally, right? You don't live in Orlando, right? You have no association with any of the people involved, right? It is just something you saw on the news, correct?

Or you live in Orlando and personally know victims?
User avatar
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 8739
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 879

#10

Postby quietvoice » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:15 am

My dearest Richard, never have I said that all news reports are fake. I've only ever pointed out a story that is obviously fake (or more precisely, a psyop). It's you that needs to be gaining knowledge by taking a critical look at certain stories. (Note the word used is story.)
User avatar
quietvoice
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:14 pm
Likes Received: 178

#11

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:49 pm

My dearest quietvoice, there is a reason I used media fakery and WWII and the civil war as examples. Do you know why?

Get out of your digital, narrow existence. Stop believing you are dating a French model, because you read it on the Internet.

http://youtu.be/v_CgPsGY5Mw

There are very simple ways to determine if you really are dating a French model. You choose not to use those methods, I wonder why?
User avatar
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 8739
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 879

#12

Postby quietvoice » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:53 pm

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:http://youtu.be/v_CgPsGY5Mw

Good grief.

25 Rules of Disinformation, etc.
User avatar
quietvoice
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:14 pm
Likes Received: 178

#13

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:22 pm



Yes, good grief. I explain time and again to stop getting your narrow view from the Internet, get out of your basement, log off your computer and gain some knowledge in other ways and what do you do? You go right back to the same feeding trough you believe in and post a link from the Internet about disinformation.

There is a big world out there, a real world with lots of amazing things. There are more ways to get your truth than in conspiracy forums. I'm a French model, lol.
User avatar
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 8739
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Likes Received: 879

#14

Postby quietvoice » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:57 am

From here:
Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:. . . Discredit the messenger, attack the messenger and this allows the message itself to be ignored.


Uh huh. Ignoring the message while ridiculing the messenger.
User avatar
quietvoice
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:14 pm
Likes Received: 178



  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to Workplace Psychology