Can hypnosis erase memories?

Hypnosis / Self Hypnosis - discuss this most useful, and misunderstood, of therapeutic tools.

Postby soulbound » Mon May 24, 2004 12:04 pm

First of all,hello everyone here!
I´d like to know whether through hypnosis we can "erase" some memories.I´m having problems with things that I know and I´d like to "erase" them,as if they had never happened,as if I had never seen some persons that are linked to these bad experiences...can I do anything to solve that?
Thanks in advance for the answers if there are some....
soulbound

Postby Graham Firth » Mon May 24, 2004 12:11 pm

Hi Soulbound

Welcome to the Forum.

I think it would be better for you to get some help to be more relaxed and comfortable about those bad memories than to try and erase them altogether. Hypnosis can certainly help with that.

Graham
Graham Firth

Postby Anthony Jacquin » Mon May 24, 2004 7:40 pm

As Graham suggests there is no need to 'erase' a memory to enable you to move on from it.

It is possible to erase a memory using hypnosis, 'Time Line' Therapy has a method of doing this, I am sure there are others, however I do not think you will find many hypnotherapists suggesting you do this to deal with your past. It is more likely that you will be encouraged to use the state of hypnosis to face that memory one last time and let go of the emotions attached to it. A bit like exchanging a heavy suitcase of baggage for a slim envelope you can happliy file away. Point being that you learn something from every experience you have, even the tough ones. You learn what to avoid, what to do differently, what you might say to someone if they were in that situation. You can keep those learnings and dump the rest. When confronted with that person or thought you will be starngely unaffected by it.

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Postby soulbound » Mon May 24, 2004 8:06 pm

ooh! thank you,but I don´t really see it that easy....don´t know how to do it....could I use self-hypnosis for that...and,really,I don´t think I could bear that memory as an envelope like in your example...and I don´t see myself strong enough to face it...I´d really like it to dissappear...
:((
soulbound

Postby Anthony Jacquin » Mon May 24, 2004 10:06 pm

Trust me it is easier than erasing a memory. I have no idea how you achieve this using self hypnosis, but I am sure some others here might be able to help. My advice is seek a qualified practitioner who can help you fit a suitcase into an envelope and then supply you with a match to burn it. You then have a pile of ash.

With regards to facing it, fear not, I am not suggesting councelling an dragging you through that past. HYpnosis enables you to look at things in a way that is so detached you feel nothing. This facilitates rapid change.

Once the feelings assocuated with that person or experience are gone, what else is left?

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Postby Mrportman » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:19 am

Hello, brand new to this board and am well aware this is a very old topic.
But just in response to the responses given, sure its better to get therapy and we learn from our mistakes (the bitter and sweet)
But is erasing memory's through time line therapy or under hypnosis possible?
Not whether its ethical or the right thing, but could it be achieved to take a single bad memory or a progression of one and remove it, like amnesia i guess?
Mrportman

Postby Joe100 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:44 pm

Most certainly.

Amnesia is very easy to achieve using hypnosis.

Joe wikihyp. com
Joe100
Preferred Member

Postby Patrick G » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:45 pm

I don't think you can erase a memory in the way you mean. The mind is capable of 'blocking-out' memory if it is seen a self-preserving, so I believe hypnosis is capable of contributing to that process. But, even when that is done, the subconscious has the memory and the emotional associations with the memory are still present and active. Your mind will still produce the neuropeptides that make you feel the emotion associated with the memory. So there is very little benefit.

There was a study using the drug Propranolol that does seem to erase memory. Long term effects are not known.
Patrick G
Preferred Member

Postby k2r » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:01 pm

my main concern about erasing a memory, which judging by Spellbound's original post seems to be quite a hard memory, would be what would happen IF you ever had any sort of recollection or even encounter someone or something that might stir that memory.

much easier i'd say to have counselling/therapy to learn how to deal with whatever occured.
k2r
Preferred Member

Postby StarShadow » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:34 pm

k2r wrote:my main concern about erasing a memory, which judging by Spellbound's original post seems to be quite a hard memory, would be what would happen IF you ever had any sort of recollection or even encounter someone or something that might stir that memory.

much easier i'd say to have counselling/therapy to learn how to deal with whatever occured.

Actually that's quite easy to deal with. While they are in trance you tell them something like '...now at sometime someone may say something, or you might encounter someone from that time in your life, and they might say something that contradicts your recollection of events, if that happens then you can...'

'Erasing' a memory will only deal with conscious recall, the unconscious will still remember it. I think a better way of dealing with unwanted memories is to get the unconscious to deal with them. Dissociate the person from the memories and have their unconscious go through them absorbing any useful knowledge, then you can 'remind' the unconscious that it has the duty to keep unpleasant memories away from the conscious mind.
StarShadow
Preferred Member

Postby kitikat » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Saw some photos shouldnt have seen..can hypnosis help to erase my recollection of them?
kitikat

Postby kevsheldrake » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:21 pm

kitikat wrote:Saw some photos shouldnt have seen..can hypnosis help to erase my recollection of them?

Yup.

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Postby jargan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:11 pm

Perhaps not completely erase, but definitely prevent recalling them.
jargan
MVP
MVP

Postby dynamix » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:29 am

I once read an article about a man whose memory was "full". Hypnosis was used to review memories as a video-tape archive and throw away the ones not wanted.

Films such as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Memento are warnings of what can happen when memories are erased.

Hypnosis can be used to remove memories and emotions, as Ant suggests it's recommended to just remove the emotional content to allow impartial review should you ever need to remember that information for some reason or should there be a message to learn from that.

But when you remove a memory completely I wonder if, as is the case with hard drives, that the memory is just flagged and only gradually reduced as it is overwritten, fragments of that memory still remaining. In human terms the paths between the neurons being transformed over time.
dynamix

Postby kitikat » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:34 pm

Can I get some recommendations of where I should go to have these photo memories erased?
kitikat

Next