Unusual Question

Postby Isotropic » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:57 pm

I know this is an unusual question, and linked more with science and psychology than actual mental health, but can someone please help me understand the psychology behind refractive errors, and their so-called "alternatuve cures?":

Should I trust this?

A website claims that if you are long or short-sighted, you have issues in your life that need attentded to through Chinese Reflexology to release stress and toxins through your body to help you see clearer.

Whilst I don't disgaree that in some cases, some degree of myopia may be caused by stress, how does it start if you aren't stressed?

Another website claims to be able to reverse 7 diopters of axial myopia in a year or less, or at least provide some degree of visual acuity improvement:

Again, if that was possible, surely the impact of such a significant change would cause structural damage to the eyeball?

And thirdly, another site claims that all myopis starts from the strain of close up work and not just genetics:

But how do you explain toddlers with high axial myopia in one or both eyes, before preschoool age? Or people with highly myopic parents and their kids becoming myopic? Or various other disorders?

Surely playing outdoors and limiting close up time doesn't make myopia less worse? I know people who do as much or more close up work than myopics and have perdect eyesight...

There is so much contradictory information on myopia. How do we know whose word to take on it?

What's your opinion? Can you really reverse the biology of your eye to gain a visual improvement, through psychology and positive thinking and a few changes or is it pure bs?

Thanks.
Isotropic

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:48 am

From a scientific, controlled study perspective it is pure bs. I am unaware of any controlled experiments that have demonstrated any significant improvements to vision based on positive thinking or mental exercises. A study in 2005, reviewed 43 studies on eye exercises, and these also showed no significant improvements for myopia.

What positive thinking and reflexology depends on are self-report and testimonials. Neither positive thinking or reflexology can be 100% disproven, they are an act of faith. It doesn't mean these techniques don't work, just that you can't prove they work using controlled studies.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1022

Postby Isotropic » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:09 pm

I know that natural longsightedness occurs in middle aged people, but exactly. How can you lengthen an eyeball or shorten it? Even if you release stress and eyestrain from it?

Faith hmm? I have faith in God, but I don't think he can reverse my eyesight. If people need to wear glasses, they do.
Isotropic

Postby Candid » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:17 pm

Have a look at the work of Janet Goodrich, Jacob Liberman, Martin Brofman...
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 318

Postby Isotropic » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:53 pm

Candid wrote:Have a look at the work of Janet Goodrich, Jacob Liberman, Martin Brofman...

So, apparently myopes are introverted, and have emotional issues. And hyperopes have anger issues and intimacy issues. Now its voice box issues?

What I can't understand is this. When I was a kid, I played outdoors like a trooper. I used my eye muscles properly. I never done much close work. I was a happy child. I still became short sighted. Doesn't that defeat everything these peole say? I'm absolutely not over emotional or introverted. I never worry much. Why would I need healing?

I'm not saying people can't improve their vision without surgery, but if their refractive error is genetically prepositioned?
Isotropic

Postby Candid » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:29 pm

I think I like Liberman best. I interviewed him at the time Light: Medicine of the Future came out (about 25 years ago) and he said a couple of things that have stayed with me ever since.

-- We don't actually see with our eyes, we see from a place behind our eyes -- and all kinds of things (such as stress, tiredness) can interfere with that.
-- glasses are not the solution. If you have to go back every couple of years for a new prescription because your vision is deteriorating, what have you achieved?

At one time Jacob was legally blind and he now has quite piercing eyes that don't miss a trick. The method he used and taught back then involved shining coloured lights into people's eyes at varying flash rates. No surprise this has also been used to resolve emotional problems; there's evidence that the two happen simultaneously.

I also attended a Janet Goodrich seminar, and attended workshops run by people she'd taught. Her method is more active. I found the exercises relaxing (which always helps) and there are hundreds of positive testimonials from people who've recovered full vision. Janet said she'd been in bottle-bottom glasses since she was seven. She recommended pinhole glasses, which work (I've tested them) for both long-sighted and short-sighted people.

I used my eye muscles properly. I never done much close work. I was a happy child. I still became short sighted.

Can you remember having a particularly tough time one or two years before you realised you had a vision problem? That seems to be the way it usually works.

If there's a congenital defect, I wouldn't give up hope. You might be able to contact Jacob via his website. Funny thing was, as an optician he was able to test himself both objectively and subjectively. So a colleague did the standard eye examination and told him he was blind as a bat, then Jacob got up and read the bottom line of the eye chart.
Candid
MVP
MVP

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:43 pm

Candid wrote: I found the exercises relaxing (which always helps) and there are hundreds of positive testimonials from people who've recovered full vision.

@isotropic,

It all comes back to epistemology (the study/nature of knowledge). How do you know what you know? What is Truth? To what extent do you believe science or testimonials? IMO there is no one person or entity that has a monopoly on Truth.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1022

Postby Isotropic » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:49 pm

Candid wrote:I think I like Liberman best. I interviewed him at the time Light: Medicine of the Future came out (about 25 years ago) and he said a couple of things that have stayed with me ever since.

-- We don't actually see with our eyes, we see from a place behind our eyes -- and all kinds of things (such as stress, tiredness) can interfere with that.
-- glasses are not the solution. If you have to go back every couple of years for a new prescription because your vision is deteriorating, what have you achieved?

At one time Jacob was legally blind and he now has quite piercing eyes that don't miss a trick. The method he used and taught back then involved shining coloured lights into people's eyes at varying flash rates. No surprise this has also been used to resolve emotional problems; there's evidence that the two happen simultaneously.

I also attended a Janet Goodrich seminar, and attended workshops run by people she'd taught. Her method is more active. I found the exercises relaxing (which always helps) and there are hundreds of positive testimonials from people who've recovered full vision. Janet said she'd been in bottle-bottom glasses since she was seven. She recommended pinhole glasses, which work (I've tested them) for both long-sighted and short-sighted people.

I used my eye muscles properly. I never done much close work. I was a happy child. I still became short sighted.

Can you remember having a particularly tough time one or two years before you realised you had a vision problem? That seems to be the way it usually works.

If there's a congenital defect, I wouldn't give up hope. You might be able to contact Jacob via his website. Funny thing was, as an optician he was able to test himself both objectively and subjectively. So a colleague did the standard eye examination and told him he was blind as a bat, then Jacob got up and read the bottom line of the eye chart.

Emotional issue before I became shortsighted? Aged four. Absolutely not. Nope, no issues. I was a healthy, happy child, I ate loads of good food, I enjoyed life. Went outside in the fresh air a lot. People liked me. Was as average as could be.

I don't get how new age teaching improves your physical vision. Vision, as outlook on life, maybe, but not actual vision. If your eyeball is elongated or short, how does it become normal? How can your mind bend light rays properly? How can herbs and exercises help that process?
Isotropic

Postby Candid » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:51 pm

Candid
MVP
MVP

Postby Isotropic » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:28 am

Candid wrote:link removed

Watched it. So he done the test, his measurements were the same as his glasses prescription even though he had 20-20 vision. So, he is saying that we don't see through our eyes, or bodies as a psychical machine? So, what force is enabling him to see well?
Isotropic

Postby Candid » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:44 pm

It's the mind that sees, not the eyeballs. They're just the visible parts of the brain, not to be confused with 'mind'. Ever had the experience of 'seeing things', then realising you were mistaken?

He thought he saw a Coach-and-Four
That stood beside his bed:
He looked again, and found it was
A Bear without a Head.
'Poor thing,' he said, 'poor silly thing!
It's waiting to be fed! '

He thought he saw an Albatross
That fluttered round the lamp:
He looked again, and found it was
A Penny-Postage Stamp.
'You'd best be getting home,' he said:
'The nights are very damp! ' ... and so on.
Candid
MVP
MVP