11 week weed free - sleep and tinnitus thread!

Postby Hoofhearted » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi I'm a 24 year old guy who smoked daily for 4 years, mostly sativa strains. I quit 11 weeks ago and still suffer from PAWS (sleep disturbance, occasional headache, and anxiety).

At the start I had major indigestion and acid reflux, which was a bummer. Got noticeably better, until about the one month mark. Afterwards, I was struck by horrible insomnia going about a week with 2 hours of sleep. I had issues sleeping the next month, but have now mellowed out and I normally get 5-8 hours of sleep a night (0-4 times waking).

A recent development, as of three weeks ago, I developed tinnitus in one ear and has maintained a high electronic hiss. I'm not sure if the tinnitus is related to PAWS or something related to a misaligned bite (causing my jaw bone to press against my auditory nerve - called TMJ if anyone is interested).

I was hoping to gain some insight on this thread from those more experienced:

1. What has helped you get back to normal sleep cycle and how long did it take you?

2. Has anyone developed tinnitus from PAWS? If so, did it ever go away?

Let me know your experience and how you're doing!

Thanks
Hoofhearted

Likes Received: 5

Postby Blazedout420 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:47 am

Hey man well done on 11 weeks,

I'm around 9 months clean and I also developed tinnitus amongst other things after I quit. Months 3-6 were the worst for me as the raging anxiety I had really messed me up. I'm feeling much better now as the anxiety is almost all but gone although I'm still a little sensitive to it. During months 3-6 my sleep was messed up, I had vivid Dreams and nightmares, major sweats, I'd wake up in the night depersonalised wondering who, what and where I was? heart pounding almost scared to go back to sleep. When I'd wake in the morning amid have totally random thoughts and images pop up when I was sort if half awake and half asleep this made me feel like I was going psychotic but it's actually a normal part of sleep which id only noticed now because of anxiety! Thankfully all this passed and now I just have the odd weird dream and I sleep pretty good. The tinnitus I developed I think it caused by the stress and anxiety along with visual disturbances related to the DPDR. The tinnitus was almost like a buzzing throughout my whole head rather than just something in my ears and I'd only notice it when I was relaxed and in a quiet room. That being said I think it maybe something I've always had but never noticed it and again anxiety bringing it to my attention and making it a lot worse than it actually is, I'd say 95% of the time I don't notice it now along with my visual disturbances. Things will improve it just takes time after 6 months I started noticing small improvements and now at 9 months in feeling a lot more like myself.

Hope this helps. Take care.
Blazedout420

Likes Received: 9

Postby Blazedout420 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:48 am

Also just to note, the last two years of my smoking I only smoked high grade sativas and this is when I started to develop anxiety.
Blazedout420

Postby Hoofhearted » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks for your reply blazedout420, It's nice to hear that I'm not crazy.

I luckily don't have DPDR and I'm really hoping it doesn't come on, but I do occasionally wake with a racing heart from an insanely vivid dream. I noticed I've started to clench my teeth in the night and will sometimes wake with a sore jaw/face. I've since made myself a mouth guard that has helped tremendously.

I woke up this morning my tinnitus was gone, but almost certain it would return I decided not to tell my GF. Sure enough, right after breakfast it picked up right where it left off.

My anxiety has been strange and can come out of nowhere. At first it was really apparent with heart palpitations, racing heart rate and high blood pressure (which is weird for me cause I'm healthy 150lb, 24 year old). My blood pressure was 144/94 for over a month and has come down about 20 points. This has improved my anxiety a lot. I will still get occasional episodes of anxiety in my chest and am all too aware of problems in my body sometimes.
Hoofhearted

Postby Blazedout420 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:21 pm

All them things you mention are typical of anxiety, it got worse before it started to get better for me. During the physical withdrawal I pretty much become a hypochondriac, I thought I had everything from MS because of the tremors and weakness to diabetes from the Burning sensations in my feet. The doctors checked me out ran bloods and give me a 24hr blood pressure monitor and said all was fine. This stopped me being a hypochondriac but bexause I felt better in myself I slipped up and smoked again only for it to bring back anxiety big time and DPDR this is when the psychological withdrawal symptoms triggered. Absolute nightmare. Try not to dwell on your symptoms just accept its how you feel in the moment and remember that it will pass, don't make the mistake I did by getting trapped in the obsessive-anxious cycle checking in on every feeling and thought, this is what made me feel like I was losing my mind, fortunately over time this has settled down and I'm feeling much better now. You will too but it just takes time.
Blazedout420

Postby Roblex » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Hoofhearted.
Have you had any improvements lately? I also developed ringing in my ears probably due to anxiety and stress. It started as little hiss in one ear, then changed ears and now I have high pitch noise in my head. Only troubles me when I'm in quite room or before sleep.
Roblex

Likes Received: 1

Postby DaWickerMan777 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Add me to the list. Since I quit weed, obviously anxiety through the roof, but I have a loud electronic hiss in my right ear, tinnitus is the worst!!!
DaWickerMan777

Likes Received: 27

Postby Hoofhearted » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Thanks for the replies, its good to know I'm not the only one. My tinnitus is still a high pitched hiss in my left ear and i still have trouble ignoring it, but my attitude has improved. Most importantly my sleep has improved.

I can now sleep through the night no problem! My main struggle with sleep now is going to sleep, that is definitely when my tinnitus bugs me the most.

I'm still hopeful that things will improve, but so far no improvement.

How is everyone else doing?
Hoofhearted

Postby Hoofhearted » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:49 pm

Hey evreyone! I thought I'd Post here to update everyone and give a little bit of hope to y'all!

I'm currently 1 year and 8 months free from weed! Woohoo!

All of my ailments are gone, except my tinnitus. Although I still hear it if I try, it doesn't bother me one bit. It's my new normal and barely pay attention to it.
My other symptoms have vanished and I'm in the clear!

There were months I was hopeless, thinking I would never be healthy again because it took so damn long!

But now I can that there is hope and that whatever you're going through will pass.

Good luck with your recoveries, you'll get there.
Hoofhearted

Postby RakkAporo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:04 am

@Hoofhearted How are you now? hows your tinnitus?
RakkAporo

Likes Received: 0

Postby Hoofhearted » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:29 am

I still have tinnitus but it doesn't bother me a lick! I almost never hear it. The volume has been exactly the same, but has become a new normal.

As of today I am officially 2 years clean of weed! Yay! I did it and it was hard, but I'm so happy I did. I originally quit because my wife's uncle died of lung cancer. That was 2 years and 1 day ago.

I never thought weed withdrawal was a thing but quitting sucked. It got worse before it got better. I am through it now and even though I believe I got tinnitus from quitting weed, it was all worth it. I don't have to be a slave to weed. I can travel anywhere I want and never have to find a way to smoke. Life is good
Hoofhearted

Postby Bagobones » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:43 pm

Hoofhearted wrote:I still have tinnitus but it doesn't bother me a lick! I almost never hear it. The volume has been exactly the same, but has become a new normal.

As of today I am officially 2 years clean of weed! Yay! I did it and it was hard, but I'm so happy I did. I originally quit because my wife's uncle died of lung cancer. That was 2 years and 1 day ago.

I never thought weed withdrawal was a thing but quitting sucked. It got worse before it got better. I am through it now and even though I believe I got tinnitus from quitting weed, it was all worth it. I don't have to be a slave to weed. I can travel anywhere I want and never have to find a way to smoke. Life is good

Good job! I am right in front of you, with 2 years and some months...
Bagobones

Likes Received: 142

Postby leavepawsbehind » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:40 pm

Good job Hoofhearted. Your story inspires me. I reread your posts several times early on in PAWS.

I am a week away from 11 months sober. I'm still dealing with PAWS, but the likelihood of feeling better within the next year makes me hopeful.
leavepawsbehind

Likes Received: 29

Postby InkChalk » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:09 am

I have tinnitus as well. A major part of it's from damage from Diesel engines from my past work. It comes and goes. Usually with a combination of anxiety from other things.

First few weeks of weed quit, came back with vengeance, worse it ever was.
Now i don't hear it very much, and nothing terrible like it used to be. Maybe i've gotten used to it, like the other's here.
InkChalk

Likes Received: 19