Antipsychotic medication during marijuana withdrawal 2 month

Postby ester » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:06 pm

Please ,I am in need of an advice?
I am asking for a close friend,
After quitting marijuana use, he started to get symptoms like social withdrawal, slow movements and slow response time to the questions. He tries to eat well and to keep himself busy but is also very slow. After two months of quitting (verified by analyses) he had severe symptoms of freezing, severe shaking and tired. Doctor has prescribed Abizol for thinking that he thinks unreal things like having some thoughts that he has shaking or that freezes him. I do not dare to ask. I am afraid i will upset him.
please tell me about your experiences . have anyone experienced this?
Have anyone used antipsychotic meds?
ester

Likes Received: 0

Postby ester » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:22 am

Thank you for reading my post.
I really need help.
In the country where i live no doctor deal with the toxicity of marijuana max after 6 week of withdrawal.
They say if some symptoms continues after these period there is some changes in the brain that can not be repaired and the patient usually is advised antidepressant if he is depressed or anti psychotics if he is slowing down cant respond and other symptoms which i have found to be the same with other users
I need some hope here. is anyone here that has been using anti psychotics medicines and has been able to recover from marijuana and medicines.
Hope you all will feel better and be able to love your dears one.
ester

Postby Recovery1395 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:42 pm

ester,

I have been on an anti-psychotic for nearly 10 years. I have a diagnosis of schizophrenia.
The schizophrenia was probably brought on by heavy marijuana use at the time.
There has been times in my life when I have been against the use of anti-psychotics.
But, now I have come to the realization that they have made my quality of life better and more stable.
Everyone's situation is different though.
I have gone from using marijuana all the time to hardly using at all. I'm still trying to quit permanently.
I think anti-psychotics can help some people with marijuana addiction and cravings but they (anti-psychotics) have their downsides too.
Recovery1395

Likes Received: 35

Postby ester » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Recovery,Thank you Very much for your answer.
The story is very similar to yours but i do not know all the details how he feels.
He had like two times of psychoses, one being in a toxic state(marijuana and alcohol )and one not in a state of toxicity but after some time of using marijuana.
The doctors says may be schizophrenia or a start .
Have you ever stop your medicines(anti-psychotics). how long after that you re-assumed taking them. for what reason?
I have read your posts and found very interesting part of it below:
"I've made so many advances over the past 5 months too: I'm taking a university course in which I'm excelling and I'm able to reduce my medications which I'm for a mental illness. I feel less anxious, more alive and alert, and my concentration is improving every day. Reading self-help stuff, I find, helps a lot too."

I wish you all the best!
ester

Postby Recovery1395 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:08 pm

ester,

I have stopped medication completely about 10 years ago. I was on a different anti-psychotic before that. When I stopped, I gradually became very psychotic, perhaps because I stopped them too quickly without tapering down enough. Also, I hadn't stopped smoking weed completely either. I had to be hospitalized for about 4 months. It was a terrible time of my life but at the same time, I lost a lot of excess weight and felt really good about myself in other ways.

I think it's possible to come off the meds successfully for some people, but you have to it very gradually with help from a doctor, and you CANNOT smoke weed or do any other drugs. I don't know if I'll ever be able to come off the meds though. As I said, I have a good, well-balanced, and stable life now. Perhaps some people, like me, have to accept that they'll be on the meds their whole life. It's a tough one to answer.

My psychiatrist has told me in the past the anti-psychotics are basically "poison" for you body. If I could be off them, I definitely would be. If your friend can in any way avoid being on them long term and be mentally stable it would be best, because their are some bad side effects: he will probably gain weight, feel less alive, and be less creative.

There's some great videos on youtube about coming off the meds and information on it:

https://youtu.be/O4bdG601k4k

https://youtu.be/Q5EpnVdLvkU

I'm just worried that if I come of the meds, I'll do something I really regret. Everyone's situation is different, though.

Best wishes to you and your friend!
:D
Recovery1395

Likes Received: 35

Postby ester » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:50 pm

Dear Recovery , i appreciate your response very much.
I wish all the others can find the strength that you have found and can fight for their quality of live.
You can do so much in helping other people like you are already doing.
ester

Postby Dr. Aftab Uddin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:04 pm

Medications for Anxiety -

Anti-depressants, particularly selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRI) are widely used to treat and prevent anxiety disorders. SSRI includes citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine, and sertraline.
Serotonin and Nor-epinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) are newer drugs very-much effective in the treatment of major depressive disorder and mood disorder. But sometimes SNRIs use to treat anxiety also. SNRIs includes Velnafaxine, Sibutramine, Atomoxetine.
Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) like Imipramine, may also helpful.
Beta-blockers like Propranolol, commonly used to control physical symptoms of anxiety.

Medications commonly used to treat or prevent panic attack includes -

Anti-anxiety medications such as Xanax, Klonopin, and Ativan. These drugs are used to control acute attack, but not good for long-term use. Propranolol or Atenolol can be use for long term where indicated.
Some Anti-depressant can be used to prevent anxiety and reduce the frequency & severity of panic attacks. Commonly used drugs are some SSRI - Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro and Zoloft. These group of drugs considered as first line drug for the treatment of panic disorder.
Certain newer anti-convulsant drugs are under trial for the treatment of both anxiety and panic attacks. They includes - Lyrica, Neurontin.

Commonly prescribed anti-depressants :

Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs): These are first line drugs to treat depression includes Amitryptyline, Nortryptyline, Imipramine.
SSRI includes Citalopram, Escitalopram, Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, and Sertraline.
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) includes Emsam, Eldepryl, Nardil, Marplan, Parnate, Zelapar.
SNRIs known as serotonin–noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors, also a class of antidepressant drugs that commonly used to treat major depressive disorder (MDD) and other mood disorders. These group includes Venlafaxine , Atomoxetine, Milnacipran, Levomilnacipran.

Thanks
Dr. Aftab Uddin

Likes Received: 4