I can't function because of my anxiety

Postby Hexagon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi,

I've been dealing with generalised anxiety disorder for over 4 years but recently it has become unbearable. Before I would have times where the anxiety is not as bad but that doesn't seem to happen anymore. I feel like I constantly have a huge weight on my chest and feelings of suffocation, as well as the crippling dread. It's almost as if my body is just constantly having a mild panic attack and it's ruining my life. I can no longer concentrate on any kind of work or school, and nothing in life is enjoyable anymore. I have not done any schoolwork for the last month because my hands shake too much to write and I'm too tired to think about anything.

I've been taking Sertraline at 100mg for just over 2 months now and know increased anxiety is a side effect, however I thought it would have been within the first week or so, not for over a month. Nothing is helping, I've tried mindfulness and exercise but it's just not working. Unfortunately I'm at the age where I can't access CBT for adults for another few months, and by the time I was at the end of the waiting list for under 18 CBT I would be 18.

If anyone has any tips at all for how to work or get to sleep please can you tell me.
Hexagon

Likes Received: 0

Postby S.W.L » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:57 pm

Hey hexagon.

Do you mean CBT as in (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)?
S.W.L

Likes Received: 18

Postby federico91 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Perhaps physical exercise can help you, go jogging, walk, swim, or whatever you like, According to Freud, and its psychoanalysis, anguish and anxiety, can be produced by repressed sexual energy, and if that energy is not expressed sexually, or in some asexual activity, it can manifest as anxiety, anxiety, seeks a girlfriend, or seeks to discharge your energy by doing physical activity
federico91

Likes Received: 8

Postby Hexagon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:14 pm

S.W.L wrote:Hey hexagon.

Do you mean CBT as in (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)?

I do yes, It's what my doctor recommended but I have been unable to access the services due to my age
Hexagon

Postby S.W.L » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:26 pm

Can I ask if you've been using substances? Or has there anything in your life that has changed recently? Just trying to think why your getting anxiety in the first place. It's such a shame for someone so young to be suffering like this. Everybody is here to help pal so keep your chin up.
S.W.L

Likes Received: 18

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:51 pm

Hexagon wrote:If anyone has any tips at all for how to work or get to sleep please can you tell me.

Already been asked, but what would be a cause of anxiety in the first place? Another question, how were you diagnosed with GAD 4 years ago?
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 988

Postby Hexagon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:55 pm

S.W.L wrote:Can I ask if you've been using substances? Or has there anything in your life that has changed recently? Just trying to think why your getting anxiety in the first place. It's such a shame for someone so young to be suffering like this. Everybody is here to help pal so keep your chin up.

Thank you, other than the odd glass of wine at dinner I don't have anything else. I could say the only change recently is the sudden idea of moving out and going to uni. Other than that I can't find any specific cause other than my brain chemistry just not being right.
Hexagon

Postby Hexagon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:59 pm

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:
Hexagon wrote:If anyone has any tips at all for how to work or get to sleep please can you tell me.

Already been asked, but what would be a cause of anxiety in the first place? Another question, how were you diagnosed with GAD 4 years ago?

I apologise I should have made it clearer, I was diagnosed about 6 months ago, however I started feeling constantly anxious around 4 years ago, but thinking back the unexplained panic and anxiety probably started as early as when I was 8 or 9.

I do try to think a lot about what would cause it, in general I know it's probably a mix of having a history of anxiety and depression in my family, moving around very frequently as a child, and being bullied quite severely. However I can't pinpoint anything that triggered this sudden spike other than an increased workload (which honestly sounds quite pathetic).
Hexagon