Strong social media aversion?

Postby CoffeeRun » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi,

What is it called when you can't stand being on any social media? What would the psychological reasons for it be? I dont like being on any social media platform for too long because I feel drained and dont like the feeling of having an online presence that people can check up on and follow. I feel like I have no privacy, even if its private. If I do join something I always get addicted and then feel burnt out. So I always make profiles and the delete them. But I'm wondering how most people seem to manage fine. Am I just really introverted?
CoffeeRun

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:00 pm

Go with introverted. No reason to create yet more labels for people to explain their specific behavior.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1174

Postby proudconfidentman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:40 pm

There's nothing wrong with feeling this way. Social media is a useful medium to stay in touch with some people but it's also fake as hell.

For example, people on Facebook only post how amazing their life is and reading too much of this can definitely influence your state of mind.
proudconfidentman

Likes Received: 4

Postby CoffeeRun » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:13 am

proudconfidentman wrote:There's nothing wrong with feeling this way. Social media is a useful medium to stay in touch with some people but it's also fake as hell.

For example, people on Facebook only post how amazing their life is and reading too much of this can definitely influence your state of mind.

Thanks
CoffeeRun

Postby SassyMillie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:10 pm

I know this thread is a few months old, but wanted to post my thoughts about it.

I also have a strong aversion to social media, particularly Facebook. I don't mind Twitter so much because the few people I follow are musicians or sports teams and I'm mostly there to see what's going on, without the need for interaction. Not so with Facebook. I feel like you're expected to "like" or comment on posts, and if you don't then there is judgment. This could be mostly in my own mind, but I've actually had people ask me why I never "like" their posts! Leaving me floundering about and making excuses. I find myself feeling anxious about visiting my Facebook page, so I will go weeks (even months) without checking in. It lurks in the back of my mind like an unfinished project, that will NEVER be finished. When I do force myself to go there I either find myself annoyed by all the fakeness, the "serial posters" or spending hours trying to catch up for my absence by checking in with everyone.

I really can't delete my FB profile because there are family members who use it as their primary avenue of communication. It's the way most millenials communicate these days, including my children, so I wouldn't see pictures of nieces/nephews/grandchildren at all if I didn't stay somewhat connected.

I'm not really an introvert like the original poster and I'm happy to see people in person, but social media interaction just doesn't feel like real life and that bothers me. It's a dilemma.
SassyMillie

Postby Translucent » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:34 pm

SassyMillie wrote:I know this thread is a few months old, but wanted to post my thoughts about it.

I also have a strong aversion to social media, particularly Facebook. I don't mind Twitter so much because the few people I follow are musicians or sports teams and I'm mostly there to see what's going on, without the need for interaction. Not so with Facebook. I feel like you're expected to "like" or comment on posts, and if you don't then there is judgment. This could be mostly in my own mind, but I've actually had people ask me why I never "like" their posts! Leaving me floundering about and making excuses. I find myself feeling anxious about visiting my Facebook page, so I will go weeks (even months) without checking in. It lurks in the back of my mind like an unfinished project, that will NEVER be finished. When I do force myself to go there I either find myself annoyed by all the fakeness, the "serial posters" or spending hours trying to catch up for my absence by checking in with everyone.

I really can't delete my FB profile because there are family members who use it as their primary avenue of communication. It's the way most millenials communicate these days, including my children, so I wouldn't see pictures of nieces/nephews/grandchildren at all if I didn't stay somewhat connected.

I'm not really an introvert like the original poster and I'm happy to see people in person, but social media interaction just doesn't feel like real life and that bothers me. It's a dilemma.

Recently I deleted over a dozen "friends" on Facebook, because they were annoying me and I simply didn't want to hear from them anymore. It really feels like a burden lifted off my shoulders. Why don't you do that to the fake people and leave just the good people and family?
Translucent

Likes Received: 14