Question About Confidentiality

Postby questionsiguess » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:36 am

Hi, I am a teenager in an alternative school setting. I recently had my three year reevaluation for my IEP, (Individualized Education Program) and had to speak to an independent representative for my sending district to determine what updates should be made to my IEP. He is a registered psychologist so I felt like I had an expectation of privacy in talking to him, however I feel that too much of what I said left the room. In talking to someone else that was in the meeting (I was not present), I found that many personal things I had told the psychologist were shared in the larger group that included staff members of both schools, strangers to me. I understand his job is to evaluate, but I feel wronged with such specific / personal details being shared. I know the ethics regarding patient / doctor confidentiality and that things can be disclosed without permission if the patient is endangering themselves, but nothing like that was discussed. Thoughts? I don't know if I should speak up about it.
questionsiguess

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:43 am

Your parents signed you up for the program. In doing so they most likely signed legal papers authorizing the staff and psychologists to share case info. The psychologist would be violating the rules to share info about you with his local barber, your neighbors, etc. but sharing with people in the education system may or may not be bad judgment, but not unethical.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 985

Postby questionsiguess » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:50 am

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:Your parents signed you up for the program. In doing so they most likely signed legal papers authorizing the staff and psychologists to share case info. The psychologist would be violating the rules to share info about you with his local barber, your neighbors, etc. but sharing with people in the education system may or may not be bad judgment, but not unethical.

I appreciate the response, I wasn't very clear on how the whole process works and this definitely makes sense
questionsiguess

Likes Received: 0