Living with regrets vs. Having no regrets

Postby Walter27 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:21 pm

“Here’s the thing: If we have goals, dreams, and we want to do our best, and if we love people and don't want to hurt them or lose them… we should feel pain when things go wrong. The point isn't to live without any regrets, the point is to not hate ourselves for having them…
…regret doesn't remind us that we did badly, it reminds us that we know we can do better.”

This quote came from a Ted Talk I just watched about regret. I’ve recently made it a point to do all of the things I want to do, with no regrets, but this video is all about living with regrets.

I found this perspective rather interesting because when I think of regret my mind automatically jumps to things I should do, not things I have already done. On the other hand, I’m sure there are people whose minds work the exact opposite of me on this topic.

Either way, I just wanted to share this video as an encouragement to anyone who is living with regret. If you're living with regret I recommend you check this out… it provides awesome insight on how to live, cope and ultimately grow with regret.

Thoughts?

If you want to watch search: Kathryn Shultz Don't Regret Regret
Walter27

Likes Received: 0

Postby firsttimer19 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:34 pm

Thank you very much for posting. As someone with somewhat of a obsession with a single mistake made a year ago, I can use all the help I can get...
firsttimer19

Postby laureat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:20 am

Living on the past: means there is still psychological tension going on about it, like you still asking why did i do this, why did i do that is because you still fighting it

We have to surrender the past: you want a state of mind that you no longer care about what happened on the past: you no longer fighting it, you want to focus on the presence, focus on the future, if its something you want to fight not the past
laureat

Likes Received: 117

Postby Walter27 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:15 pm

firsttimer19 wrote:Thank you very much for posting. As someone with somewhat of a obsession with a single mistake made a year ago, I can use all the help I can get...

Hello, Did you check out the video? If not you totally should. Essentially, it will help guide you to the idea that regrets are there to help remind us of what not to do moving forward. Life is a learning experience. Holding on to that regret won't do anything for you... but accepting, learning and moving on from it will do amazing things you for you :)

Best of luck.
Walter27

Postby Walter27 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:16 pm

laureat wrote:Living on the past: means there is still psychological tension going on about it, like you still asking why did i do this, why did i do that is because you still fighting it

We have to surrender the past: you want a state of mind that you no longer care about what happened on the past: you no longer fighting it, you want to focus on the presence, focus on the future, if its something you want to fight not the past

Completely agree :)
Walter27

Postby JuliusFawcett » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:37 pm

I regret nothing, I was always doing my best, even when I didn't think that I was.
JuliusFawcett

Likes Received: 552

Return to Psychology