I know I need to quit weed...support needed

Postby Onwards&upwards » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi guys

So I'm new here...I'm 31..been smoking pot pretty much everyday for 12 years though I did quit pot for 5 months 2years ago and also quit pot and cigs last year for two months. Every time I have quit I felt like a better Improved version of myself or should I say the "real" me.
I run a screen printing business and it's got potential to really take off but I'm held back by smoking pot. It's not just a habit it's a lifestyle which is very deeply ingrained into my life. I can't sleep till early hours which results me getting to work at lunch time. My days are mostly unproductive and I make mistakes et etc. My intuition shouts at me every day QUIT!!! Every morning I think today is the day but then by the time the eve comes I'm buying a bag and rolling up whilst think I'll quit when this bag is done. With me having two stints of being sober in the past my you would I'd know how to start but I can't get out of the rut. I'm on here because I don't have anyone I can relate to, all my friends are ok with their stoned lifestyle so my concerns and aspirations for moving away from this lifestyle fall on deaf ears. Sorry this post my seem a little all over...didn't know where to start so I just started typing. I know I can do this just need to be some where I can share the problem and I'm hoping this is the place. Thanks for reading, hope to get to know some of you guys on here. Peace
Onwards&upwards

Likes Received: 0

Postby Knowmean » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:35 am

I totally understand what you mean. I’ve smoked weed for over 20 years and stopped 2 weeks ago. I can’t sleep at night and have no appetite. I’ve reached a point in my life though where enough is enough, I need to take control of my life back. I have 2 daughters one is only 5 months and am currently trying to buy a house. Probably not the best time to stop but thought giving myself something to focus on would help keep me occupied from the evil green bud. After reading some posts on here I know the next few months will be tough but totally worth it. Talking to someone will definitely help so don’t be afraid to express your feelings in here as i know exactly how you feel. Take a stance, take your life back you only get one so don’t waste it. I am fully determined to beat it and will help you any way I can. I know reading and writing these posts is helping me...
Knowmean

Likes Received: 6

Postby Pozessed » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:21 pm

Onwards&upwards wrote:Hi guys

So I'm new here...I'm 31..been smoking pot pretty much everyday for 12 years though I did quit pot for 5 months 2years ago and also quit pot and cigs last year for two months. Every time I have quit I felt like a better Improved version of myself or should I say the "real" me.
I run a screen printing business and it's got potential to really take off but I'm held back by smoking pot. It's not just a habit it's a lifestyle which is very deeply ingrained into my life. I can't sleep till early hours which results me getting to work at lunch time. My days are mostly unproductive and I make mistakes et etc. My intuition shouts at me every day QUIT!!! Every morning I think today is the day but then by the time the eve comes I'm buying a bag and rolling up whilst think I'll quit when this bag is done. With me having two stints of being sober in the past my you would I'd know how to start but I can't get out of the rut. I'm on here because I don't have anyone I can relate to, all my friends are ok with their stoned lifestyle so my concerns and aspirations for moving away from this lifestyle fall on deaf ears. Sorry this post my seem a little all over...didn't know where to start so I just started typing. I know I can do this just need to be some where I can share the problem and I'm hoping this is the place. Thanks for reading, hope to get to know some of you guys on here. Peace

Hello Knowmean
I am 35 and quit smoking the pot 3 months ago. I quit for various reasons, and I found it easy to quit. I had been smoking green for well over 20 years at an all day every day level. At first I thought it was something I needed to keep my mind creative and calm. I also thought it was something I needed to make socializing easier. My significant other even told that I needed to smoke because when I was high I was less irritable and easier to get along with.
This past 3 months has been difficult. But I had reasons that I wanted to quit that are much like yours sound. I want to be an entrepreneur. I have children that I need to be a role model for. I have people in my life who condescend the habit. I am less productive and motivated when I smoke. I am less focused on conversations I am having with people after I smoke. The list goes on an on. And the pay off is not that great because I am still a relatively relaxed, and creative individual without the pot so long as I find other ways to calm my mind and increase creative properties. Socializing is a bit different than it used to be. I have to cut ties with long time friends because of my decision to quit smoking. However most of my stoner friends understand and don't smoke in front of me and don't try to make me feel any type of way about quitting other than supporting my decision. Now I am at a place where I look forward to more prosperous social circles. Social circles that will be more advantageous towards my entrepreneurial dreams, or that will improve my parenting abilities.
The best advice I think I can give you towards quitting your habit is that you need to lose your dealers numbers. You need to stop interacting with people that want you to keep smoking. If they are good friends, they won't mind supporting your decision. Next you need to fill your time with productivity. Things that will make you tired and ready for sleep. These things you are doing should be things that make you feel accomplished and successful. Those time fillers that make you feel accomplished and successful won't come easy, but if you work at it, the productivity and those feelings will come in due time. Don't beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon, because you need to remember each day is a new day and a new you. You want to keep working on reinventing a new and improved self. You will get anxiety and depression from not having THC in your system, you're not going crazy during those weeks and months as the THC levels get less and less.
That's pretty much all I got. I hope it helps.
Pozessed

Likes Received: 0

Postby Furtive » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:52 pm

This isn't going to be what you WANT to hear.
But this is what worked for me
I hope it helps you.

1) I gave up tobacco, and vaped weed instead.
Tobacco withdrawal lasted about 3 months and then no bad issues with that ever again.

2) I grew my own weed. No selling to anyone else, just grew loads and loads of different strains.
I got to the point where I was growing it outside, guerrilla style, about 30oz every year.
Very cheap - just a few hours work.

3) After a few years of this, I got really fed up with weed, really bored of multiple different strains, it lost its value.
It was accumulating faster than I could get through it.
I couldn't binge it all away, so I was forced to just face the fact it was a daily treadmill.

4) I stopped cold turkey when Xmas 2013 was approaching and I felt miserable.
The thing that made me stop was simply that it was so bad continuing that I might as well go through quitting.
I didn't say it would be forever, but I set myself the target of feeling completely normal again before next time.
I stowed the weed and the vaping kit away and made a big deal of it in my head.
There's no 'new bag' ....just a return to that same stuff.

5) It got easier after 3 months but in some weird ways it actually got harder too.
I kept having 'experiments' of a single night/weekend stoned, every 3 months or so.
Each time it was disappointing and yet still I'd do it again when I felt stable enough.
I began using psilocybin mushrooms instead.
Eventually I destroyed my weed stash.
I don't really associate with stoners at all anymore so it really wasn't around me anymore.
Finally I made it past 6 months straight and that really was the major milestone.
Something about going 6 months made me really believe, really understand that I was happier without weed.

6) Like other quitters I found the benefits of quitting are huge.
My life and mental competence recovered and I finally began to sleep normally again.
I've fallen out with nearly all my old friends, including the non-stoners.
Those aren't good friends, basically, a lot of people feel betrayed if you change - even if it's for the better.

7) Weed is the only drug I've ever been properly addicted to, and it's like the alcoholics say at AA meetings:
I can't say 'never again' - just 'not today'.
I'm never going to be free of that little nagging 'what if?' that can only be answered with 'not today'.
....but that's fine, because that's all it is. The other withdrawal symptoms all stopped long ago.

8) I find it helpful to be 100% honest and so here's a devil's advocate issue.
The one thing I can honestly say I miss about weed is the ability to tap my nervous energy.
It was wasteful but still,,,,.impressive at times.
Some people call it creativity but I find it's the energy that can be turned into creativity.

Eg.:
The last time I got high, I re-arranged my toolkits, several different boxes and collections,
and really made improvements.
Doing that sober would've been easier and quicker IN MOST WAYS, in fact I planned it sober over many hours....
but it took getting stoned to motivate me to tackle it -over 3 hours of concentration in the small hours of the morning.

Learning to do that
to channel that energy WITHOUT weed has been my big challenge and I haven't really cracked it properly yet.
But how many times per year can I get away with that small positive effect from weed?
At first in my quit, not even once - I had to recover first, which took almost 2 years.

But now - Once a year? Twice?
See - I can't stop asking "what if...." even now.
My quit started in December 2013.

So that's my take on it.

Right now you're in a drained state and it's going to be unpleasant to go through withdrawals, but that's irrelevant
because you're in unpleasant withdrawals most of the time anyway.

It's never half as bad as when you think "that's all there is".
Furtive
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 176

Postby ClintonW » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:31 pm

Hi Onwards&Upwards.

I hope this post finds you well.

Just wanted to add a few quick replies to some of your post.
Every morning I think today is the day but then by the time the eve comes I'm buying a bag and rolling up whilst think I'll quit when this bag is done.

I spent about 8 years thinking this. Try and tackle the first night anxiety.
I've lost count of how many times I would say "This is the last day" spend the day at work being productive, go home feeling proud of myself and then rewarding myself with weed. You get stuck in a loop. The fact is, that cycle needs to be broken and the first night is the hardest. Learn to not fear the first night.

I say the first night because I think you're seeing the other times you quit and then started again as failures.
With me having two stints of being sober in the past my you would I'd know how to start but I can't get out of the rut.

The rut has taken years to form. It won't stop immediately. I relapsed many times before finally breaking through. If you stop for a night and then go back, it's OK... So long as you learn to quit again. Learn to not be afraid of that first night without weed. The second night is much easier, usually because you're knackered as you likely won't sleep much on the first night. Then again your sleep patterns will be wrecked for the next month or so. Learn to love sleep and beware of the intense tiredness you will feel at around week 2.

I'm on here because I don't have anyone I can relate to, all my friends are ok with their stoned lifestyle so my concerns and aspirations for moving away from this lifestyle fall on deaf ears.

In the nicest possible way, "**** your friends". They're not you and you aren't them. You're on here because you want to quit. The only person you have to relate to in this matter is yourself. Sure it's nice on here with the advice and fellow quitters but at the end of the day when crap gets tough, it's you and your fight against the weed.

The most powerful thing I learned when quitting was HALT. It stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. Being one of those makes you more vulnerable. Being two of them really makes you vulnerable. If you reach any of them try and fix that first. More on HALT here. https://bradfordhealth.com/halt-hunger- ... tiredness/

I'm not on here often anymore, in fact I came on here as I'm almost at 4 years free at the end of this month.

It's not easy but it does get much easier. I was hooked from 22 years to 37 years. I had nothing to live for and was in a really crap place. I could spend hours telling you how much my life has improved but I'd rather you find that out for yourself. You CAN do it.

All the best mate.
ClintonW

Likes Received: 74