Quit marijuana 5 months ago - will I get my brain back?

Postby RegalChaos » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:33 am

Hi everyone!

My first post here so let me start with some intro. I have quit weed since the last 5 months! Used to be a heavy smoker, everyday for the last 2 years and 2 grams a day for the last 5 months or so. This forum has been a god-send to figure out what the hell I was going through. Never expected withdrawals to be so nasty I felt brain dead and incapable of thinking through even minor tasks. There was no pleasure in absolutely anything and I just wanted to lay down and do nothing all day. I have noticed improvements after the 4-month mark which gave me some hope that my brain is salvageable. Now at the 5-month mark there are a few good days and then its back to the never-ending fatigue and brain fog.

However what is killing me is this: my cognitive abilities. I'm in graduate school and this is finals week and I can't write and think for sh** right now. My vocabulary is shot and my writing is no where near it used to be. I just looked up some exams I wrote at the height of my addiction 6 months ago and they are no match for my essays right now. It surprises me how I was able to write and speak coherently while smoking 2gs every day and get great grades and now 5 months later its like I'm writing at the level of a high school kid.

Has anyone else gone through this? Did it get better? Were you able to get your brain back? Is this a only a withdrawal/PAWS stage that will pass or will I never get my cognitive functions back?
RegalChaos

Likes Received: 0

Postby laureat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:43 am

believes = feelings
and feelings = performance

when someone quit smoking (weed, cigarettes) what happens is something "important" is taken away and you may panic about and believe you going to have problems, as a result, you really going to have problems

however: when it comes to weed mechanism on dopamine and such things: i would recomend to make gradual steps of reducing the dose:

a reduce of -25% every two weeks: so you gradually recover from weed and dont surprise your neurotransmitters
laureat

Likes Received: 110

Postby RegalChaos » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:37 am

Yes tapering off would have been better. It would have taken much much longer but the transition would have been smoother. Right now I am happy that I haven't touched it for 5 months however the PAWS almost led me to suicide. Months 2-4 were the absolute worst. Never going back to it ever again.
RegalChaos

Postby tokes » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:42 pm

Sounds rough. I quit for 1.5 years before starting again. I smoked non stop like my life depended on it.

But I too like you had to do something very mentally challenging during my quit and I felt so inadequate. The brain fog, the slow comprehension level, the lack of wit or humour or personality, emotionless, numb, suicidial, confused, out of it. But after the 6 month mark you will see glimmers of
Your old self back. That should push you on.

After a year you will be feeling normal again but not 100%. But the fact that you feel even slightly normal would be so joyful and enlightening that you would be grateful even for that state of mind.

I was generally quick witted, quick humour, quick thinking and those traits started to reappear at the 1.5 mark and then you hone them and reconcile them back into your concious stream. At this point you feel like Jesus.

Brain elasticity is like a swinging pendulum.

If it can swing into the side of despair, brain fog and anguish so far, then (if you continue the quit) it can swing back in the opposite direction to a place of clarity, peace and understanding.

Peace
tokes

Likes Received: 22

Postby lag » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:34 am

You never lost your brain, baccajuana can have that effect.
The easy solution is to quit cigarettes, especially baccajuana.
lag

Postby akash agarwal » Fri May 18, 2018 4:04 am

I was f***ed up with my brain ! Its been 2years and. I forgot what had happened to me. I m normal and now i dont notice my problems anymore. You will be alright stay away from alcohol smokes and weed and other stuff stay sober u will be fine. One thing i m sure this is the pure ride of hell hahaha
akash agarwal

Likes Received: 33

Postby dhae2604 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:11 am

Nice story akash, very inspiring. Ive been reading your story
dhae2604

Likes Received: 23