Dad doesn’t know how to deal with divorce

Postby stojs976 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:37 am

Hi everyone! Thanx for opening this post. My parents recently split and my mom is totally okay and remarried but I feel as though my dad is not doing so good. He has a very strong character and strong temper but means the best for everyone. He also lives in the Balkans in Easter Europe, so keep in mind it is a very conservative country. They are looking at him like he lost someone in a tragic accident.... anyways, i think it is a little bit tough on him to make that transition to being single again especially right after our cat passed away which he was really attached to. I am going back home this Winter and wanted to see if you all have any advice on how to help him or direct him to something that might help.

I wish they had these forums in our language haha

Thank you in advance!
stojs976

Likes Received: 0

Postby tokeless » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:10 am

Hi,
When something like this happens people react differently and cultural norms can also impact on how people react. Your mum has remarried already? As for your dad he may feel he has lost face in the community and may feel he's failed. All you can do is support him and offer reassurance that he still has you and in time things will work out, because they do. I have been divorced and yes it hurts but life's better now I'm happy than when I was married and not.
Hope that was useful?
Best wishes
tokeless

Likes Received: 219

Postby stojs976 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:33 pm

Yes, thanx for replying. I just wish there was something more solid I can provide him with. :( Thank you
stojs976

Likes Received: 0

Postby whybotherwhynot » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:53 pm

Go to Google and type in the search box: Life after breakup or divorce.

Read the articles and get some great ideas and when you go to visit your dad, tell him about those. Or you can send your dad an email to tell him to google the topic too.

Keep communicating with your dad. And when you visit him, spend as much time with him as you can.
whybotherwhynot

Likes Received: 9