No more tobacco, starting today!

Postby EdenG » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:40 am

I’ve decided it’s time to give up tobacco.
I’ve been smoking cigarettes since I was 16, so that’s 12 years.

I gave them up for 14 months towards the end of my marijuana habit, but then when I quit marijuana I figured I wouldn’t be too hard on myself and I’d allow myself a few cigarettes per day as I was still addicted to nicotine. I smoked a mix of marijuana and tobacco.

Needless to say, it’s not been just a few cigarettes per day and the habit has taken over again. Today is the 3 month mark for me with being off weed and I ran out of tobacco last night. I don’t want to waste anymore money on it, so today is the day!

I’m giving this a go cold turkey as nicotine patches make me feel physically ill.
Fingers crossed I can kick this nasty habit!
I do not enjoy and do not like tobacco. The addiction is powerful, but I need to keep saying no to it.

Wish me luck!
EdenG

Likes Received: 17

Postby Irishweedfreeguy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:18 am

Hope you succeed with giving it up, I hope to be where you are soon clean if weed and getting off the cigarettes then!!

Be strong and take it a day at a time, believe in yourself and remember you have amazing will power to be 3 months weed free

Onwards and upwards for you I hope
Irishweedfreeguy

Likes Received: 11

Postby EdenG » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Irishweedfreeguy wrote:Be strong and take it a day at a time, believe in yourself and remember you have amazing will power to be 3 months weed free

Thank you so so much Irishweedfreeguy for the reminder that my will power is amazing. I think I needed that!

So far, day one is almost over and I’m okay.
I need to think of quitting as a decision not to smoke every day. What I mean is that I can only take it one day at a time and when I wake up in the morning, all I have to do is make the decision not to smoke any cigarettes that day. The next day is an all new day of deciding not to smoke. One day at a time.

I read somewhere on here today that after 90 days without weed your body starts to produce its own dopamine again which is a positive thing to have read. Perhaps this means sleep will begin to get even easier!
Hopefully hormone/chemical production within my brain/body will be better all round and my melatonin production will figure itself out also.

Anyhoo, thanks again Irishweedfreeguy :)
You can and will get to my stage of your quit! We can do anything we put our minds to :)
EdenG

Postby Irishweedfreeguy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:40 pm

You have a great attitude and I have faith in you, sounds like taking it like you say 1 day at a time would help the battle, before you know it you won't even be thinking of them!!

Congrats on getting through day 1,dont know you but genuinely proud of you!

I'm constantly reading these forums as I feel it's great support and people understand!

My woman has heard it all before and doesnt give support but I don't blame her really! It's more of an incentive to prove her wrong but like you I am doing this for myself firstly and things will improve all around D us! Contact me anytime if you need support or anything
Irishweedfreeguy

Postby EdenG » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Awww thank you again Irishweedfreeguy; it truly amazes me how much support we get from strangers on here. I love hearing that people are proud of me, even when they don’t “know” me :)
We’re “addicts”, but we have compassion and empathy for one another and know that we’re strong enough to get past this low point.

Try not to give so much worry to your woman not supporting you; she may have heard it all before from you and may not want to show too much support or get her own hopes up in the fear that you might not succeed this time, like times in the past. It’s her way of protecting herself really.
You can definitely use that as an incentive to prove her wrong and it’s understandable that it would bother you a little to feel like she’s not being supportive. It sounds like you totally understand what’s going on there though :)

Likewise, if you need to talk, hit me up on here :) I can’t PM yet as I haven’t posted enough times, but I’m working on that :P
EdenG

Postby Irishweedfreeguy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Oh I didn't realise you had to get to so many posts before pms:)

You don't realise how supportive and helpful your words are, I've never given up like this before and I know I can do it!
I'm gonna try not mention it to her or seek pity etc as I have done in the past but just keep being positive and I'm sure she will be supportive when she sees good changes in my life, if not ill have to give her a kick up the donkey lol joking!

Are you nearly through your first day? How many were you smoking a day?
Irishweedfreeguy

Postby EdenG » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:51 pm

I’m glad my words are helpful :)
Having your replies helps me too!

Hahaha hopefully she does see the positive change she you’re making in your life and start to be a bit more supportive of your journey :) I’m sure she will, but give her time. Give yourself time too.

Although I’m 3 months off weed now, I’m still not thinking I’m out of the woods yet.
I want to get to 6-12 months before I start congratulating myself too much.

As for cigarettes, I’ve been smoking about 10-12 per day these past 3 months.
And yes, I’ve made it through over 24 hours as it’s 12:50am (Sunday morning) here and my last cigarette was around 11pm Friday.
Woohoooo! Day 1 down and should probably consider trying to sleep soon :P
EdenG

Postby Irishweedfreeguy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:53 am

Hey Eden,
Hope your staying strong and it's getting somewhat easier for you!
After 3 hours sleep I'm wide awake having had a distant dream or some kind of thoughts, anyway I woke up thinking i would be getting weed tomorrow so I jumped out of bed and am just reading here to stay strong and clear those thoughts!
Anyway hope all is well, I'll keep it short as I don't wanna hijack your thread lol

Peace and strength edeng
Irishweedfreeguy

Postby EdenG » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Oh no!! Not a great dream to have! But hey, you had a dream and remembered it - I bet it’s been a while since that happened haha
Thank goodness you’re not picking up weed tomorrow!

Glad you’re jumping on here and having a read when you’re feeling you need support :)

Mmm I’m not doing so great at not smoking tobacco. I went 48 hours, then slipped.
I’ll get there; not going to beat myself up about it. It’s better than smoking weed and as I said, I’ll get there... tobacco is such a nasty thing to be addicted to :(
EdenG

Postby Irishweedfreeguy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:09 pm

Well done for getting to 48 hours anyway dude, next time focus on doing twice as good and so on... Easy for me to say though, I'm going to give up smoking tobacco in a few weeks when I have the thc out of my body and feeling a bit better because I'm twice as likely to end up back at square 1 if I don't!
Maybe we could start together and support each other
Hope you are keeping well
Irishweedfreeguy

Postby EdenG » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:48 am

Thanks Irishweedfreeguy :) I'm not too proud of myself for only 48 hours, but I suppose it's better than nothing... :(

I think I'll probably try to quit again before you're ready to, but the support here is still fabulous nonetheless and we'll all be behind you when you decide to give up tobacco!!

I hope you're well also :)
EdenG

Postby Wave » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:48 pm

Good effort!! I have slipped back to smoking cigs this week and today is day 1 of no cigs. I don't know why I do it!!! It is better than smoking weed but is also bad.

Try another quit!!!
Wave
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 211

Postby EdenG » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:41 am

Hey Wave,

Now on Day 10 of not smoking cigarettes and I think I’m gonna succeed this time :)

I hope you’re doing well!
EdenG

Postby asgoodasitgets » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:32 am

@ EdenG -

Keep up the good work. Big Tobacco is the devil. **** them! Scumbags who are losing market share in first-world countries and are now pedaling their wares to minors in third world countries. /End soapbox/ :twisted:

Have you ever thought of picking up an e-cig as a possible stepping stone? Just asking because my uncle is currently attempting to quit smoking and he gets a lot of "relief" from being able to puff his e-cigarette when he is really struggling. He is currently on 18/mg of nicotine but plans on slowly stepping it down as he makes progress...hoping to eventually abandon the hand -> mouth altogether. Food for thought! I hope you are well my friend.

-Alex
asgoodasitgets

Likes Received: 100