Hey quitters, how do you get inspired now?

Postby Gitana » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:42 am

Are we losing something by not allowing ourselves to get high?

I thought that all my issues would be solved if i stopped my weed habit - for good or for a year at least.
Now i made it a full year completely clean (no weed, booze, meds, etc.. just sport, air and food)
Sure everything is way better, but remains one question: what about creativity?

My business (entertainment industry) is creation, and i wondering wether i m making a mistake by closing access to the creativity weed (and other mind-altering substances) allows us to tap into.

My life is fine, yet a little blend by now - and i m afraid this my show in my creation.

Fellow-quitters, thanks for sharing any thoughts on the matter!
Gitana

Likes Received: 35

Postby asgoodasitgets » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:47 am

Hi Gitana,

I hope this message finds you well.

In response to your question, and in my humble personal opinion, I do not believe we are "losing something." I say this because I used to perceive quitting this way. First time I quit, several years ago, I stayed off it for three (3) years. I lamented and grieved the loss of my identity: a grade A+ smoker.

This time around, I'm thinking about it more of like a trade. Yes, I'm giving it up, but I am seeing a return on my investment.

For the first few days off, I thought I would lose all of my drive and creativity. I like to make electronic music and have done so for about 2 years now. My first few days off I contemplated selling all of my music equipment, **** it, that was it..."I will never be creative/inspired again I thought to myself." Today, I opened my workstation and started playing around and I am so happy to have a hobby to obsess over now instead of blazing. Don't get me wrong, there were times when I was super high and would write music and feel like the herb had led me there. That said, I've also watched a sh** ton of tutorials on Youtube on production and things like that, all of which are a foggy memory. I learned basic concepts but honestly don't feel like I benefited from it as much as I would have had I not been high as a motherf****r.

I don't wanna push you either way. If I thought I could smoke weed a few times a month and control myself I probably would....but I can't. I'm an addictive degenerate and constantly make the same bone-headed mistakes, LOL. To state it any other way would be classic denial. That is just for me. Some people have personalities that allow for moderation, so I guess it's really on you to decide, based on your own knowledge of yourself, if you are capable of using it moderately to spark creativity here and there.

I'll end this with a quote from comedian Bill Hicks, which I believe Tool included on their track Third Eye:

“You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years were rrreal f***ing high on drugs."
asgoodasitgets

Likes Received: 98

Postby Furtive » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:11 am

The creativity that weed channels is available without weed, but it takes work and practice.

I keep a pad and pencil by my bed and make strange notes and sketches of ideas and solutions from the semi-conscious moments when it all flows. I find I can’t force myself to remember this stuff, I have to jot it down.

It’s not easy - often I can’t see well enough in the dark, but at least it doesn’t wreck the rest of my life, like weed did.

The other thing is psilocybin, but that’s a tough and unforgiving way of channeling your unconscious.
It hits the same kind of targets as weed but it does it in a way that is unpleasant at the time and a relief to come down from. No-one gets addicted to that.
That helped me a lot in the first 24 months of my quit when my brain couldn’t reset itself at night.
Furtive
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 176