Career Advice?!

Postby Lovelyella » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:37 am

First of all, I thank you for reading my post.

Hello everyone. I’m a very confused college student working on her B.A. in Psychology with a minor in Child and Adolescent Development. I have a strong interest in both, but have absolutely NO idea what I want to do or what I can do. I would love to work with children, but I’d also like to make a decent amount of money. I’d like to one day pursue a Masters Degree, but I have no idea what I’d like it to be in.

Throughout my college education I’ve struggled to barely pass my classes at the minimum requirement due to many issues at home (autistic brother and his behavioral crises, parents separation and drama, deaths). It’s been a tough 5 years full of mental breakdowns and rollercoasters of depression, so I’m looking forward to graduating in May 2018.

Although I don’t have the GPA to get into a Masters program or the support, I’m looking forward to finding a full time job to pay off some debt then work on getting my GPA up.

I’m hoping someone here will be able to give me some advice or simply tell me about their experiences. I learn best from others real life experiences.
Lovelyella

Likes Received: 1

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:31 pm

Lovelyella wrote: I would love to work with children...

FOCUS on what you love. Laser in on how you can help children, no matter your level of education. Money is an inevitable result of passion.

I just finished writing a recommendation for a friend to pursue her PhD in special education. I’ve known her for 20 years, since she was first in college. She has always been passionate about helping kids. About 5 years ago she finally started her own business and now she is continuing her education to obtain a PhD. The one thing that has stayed constant, her passion to help children.

And don’t overthink your grades. I failed 13 classes, and graduated with a 2.08. Still, I ended up returning to school 5 years later and getting a masters, then a PhD.

Regardless, don’t worry about it. There are so many ways to help children, with or without higher education. And the money will come the more you are the expert in this area of focus.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1052