getting of the merry-go-ground of multiply quits

Postby Wave » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:08 pm

Great news! Sounds like your head is in the game and making great progress. It is such an achievement to be making better choices in life. Each day you dont smoke is a huge achievement.
Wave
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 210

Postby reckoning » Sat May 05, 2018 10:13 pm

Hey everyone,

Checking-in with you all.

18 weeks now . Wow the discomforts have been high. The rewards have been high.

The big physical challenges are behind me. PAWS - my companion dog, is there to keep me on the right path and always shows me some new learning that I must take on to keep improving the quality of my life.

The single biggest thing that keeps me on track for my longed for maintenance has been leaving my 14 year relationship with my partner who held smoking as a central non harmful part of life. Also moving out of the house where I had 14 years of long associations as the place for smoking.

Those two actions have been the hardest decisions I've had to make but without them I would be struggling. And endless struggle always leads me back to weed. It has been a big revelation that I do not have to try and get through this life with endless struggle.

I have no regrets as I could not be where I am today without those two actions. Maintenance of a quit is not for the faint -hearted. I've quit many times before but this time I am never going back and it is the ongoing maintenance and embracing this life of no weed that matters the most right now. Why? - because it has truly empowered me.

I'm still carving out a new life for myself but let me tell you that without weed I am really able to get to places within myself that have been disempowered for some time. This psychological empowerment of knowing that I have changed the centrality of drugs ( and alcohol too) as part of my daily existence really has enabled me to move on and get invovled with my own life in a deeper way.

You know while my anxiety has increased a lot, especially in the early stages , I am now coming off my anti depressants that I have been taking for 20 years. I sleep better without them. Because I am not smoking and not driving my emotions underground with weed I am actually starting to learn how to tolerate these anxieties and even go with them a bit more and rather than try and get rid of figure out what they are about.

I'm doing a lot of work on defusing a whole set of thoughts that I hold about anxiety which make me more anxious. Such as; anxiety is bad, it makes me feel sh**, if I had a good life I shouldn't feel anxious , no one feels as anxious as me. I wouldn't be challenging these thoughts if I was still using weed as my go to management tool for anxiety. . With weed I would be fuelling my fixed thoughts about anxiety and the need to get rid of them.

For anyone thinking about giving up you won't be disappointed. I wanted growth and I am getting it . Yes it's hard, especially in the beginning, but you have all the amazing folk on here. to get you through. There are many people here who have really helped me. Everyone does. I regularly still use this site to get the real life inspiration that you all offer through your struggles and celebrations.

I would encourage anyone who is lurking out there reading stuff on here to take the leap and start posting. After leaving my relationship and moving out of the my house, posting on here and keeping my self accountable to a community has been and remains integral to my maintenance. Thank -you everyone for being here.

Keep reading, keep posting- and you can press that rest button on your life- together we can make it.
reckoning

Likes Received: 56

Postby reckoning » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:30 am

Hey everyone/anyone

I'm really interested in hearing how folk have decided if they need to go on anti- depressants or not?

My basic question to you out there is how do you know when you are suffering unnecessarily? How do you know when it doesn't have to be like this- this daily misery dispite doing everything.

I came off my anit D's about two months ago ( which I have been more on than off for the past 20 years) which was four months into my quit I'm not sure if I need to go back on. I came off them as I always suspected they had a bad effect on my sleep and indeed my sleep did improve when I stopped.

I was a very long term/time smoker ( over twenty years wth very heavy bouts) and have always been prone to some depressive times. I have tried many times to come of the anti depressants and always ended up back there because of the sadness and weepyness and feeling of unworthiness. I've had a lot of anxiety too, but I always do.

It's just now at this six month mark it seems even worse than a couple of months back in this quit.

I know no one has an answer. I'm just interested in the thinking that everyone puts in about these things.

How do YOU decide when you have suffered enough and when your suffering is more than quitting pot? Any thouhgs most welcome.
reckoning

Postby RealEyesEm » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi Reckoning,

I hope this message finds you well.

I have read your whole 3 pages of posts over the last couple of days. I am so grateful that you have had the commitment and strength to take the time to write so eloquently about your experiences. Thank you for sharing. I believe that you said at one point that it is through sharing that you will be able to maintain your own way.

I have struggled throughout my life with sharing. Not the material things, but the things in my heart, my emotions, my true self. I find it so hard to reach out, to be authentic, to be vulnerable.

I hope to share with you and I hope you will continue to share. I don't want to subdue the emotions that I feel anymore. They are guiding me to care for others and allow myself to be cared for.

I'm sorry to see that you are struggling with depression. I have found that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and yoga have been helping me, I wonder if you have tried either of these? I use a free app called Woebot to track my mood and thinking and it teaches me a bit of CBT. There's loads online anyway, I find it helps me to recognise when my thinking might not be accurate and how I can adopt a growth mindset instead.

I hope to read an update from you soon!

Love Em
X
RealEyesEm

Likes Received: 3

Postby reckoning » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi Em,

Thanks for your lovely reaching out to me. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my journey. I really appreciate you letting me know that.

Yes I've always struggled with depression. I've had a lot of losses and I've used all kinds of tactics and addictions to manage the fall out of that. But now I am on a different path and am living without weed being the go to stress pacifier.

I have gone back onto my anti-depressants since my last post and things have balanced out more. I just thought I could give up the weed and also the anti depressants too but one thing at a time. I've decided a few more months of my quit and then I might give it another go in coming of the anti-depressants again. Its a very mild dose.

I've noticed that if I have a drink , even just a couple of glasses of wine I am not so good, so I will stay of that for a while now to.

yes I am into yoga. I was going three times a week, until very recently, and then my whole life and schedule was disrupted and so I don't have that at routine at the moment but will try the app you suggest and try and get it back into my daily functioning until I can go to classes again. Yoga and meditation are really stabilising factors for me.

I agree that CBT is great. I do a fair bit of reading and practicing with it too. I've also been doing some really interesting reading on managing intense emotions. A recent really helpful resource I've just finished reading is the 'Mindfulness Workbook for Addiction'- A guide to coping with grief, stress and anger. by Rebecca Williams and Julie Kraft. Really helpful stuff here.

It has helped me so much not smoking weed to really becoming authentic and feeling vulnerable is such a learning experience, making me so less judgemental too.

Keep going Em, I can assure you it is really worth it. Keep posting too I'm interested in following any of your updates. cheers Liz
reckoning

Postby reckoning » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:02 pm

reckoning wrote:Hey everyone/anyone

My basic question to you out there is how do you know when you are suffering unnecessarily? How do you know when it doesn't have to be like this- this daily misery dispite doing everything.

I came off my anit D's about two months ago ( which I have been more on than off for the past 20 years) which was four months into my quit I'm not sure if I need to go back on. I came off them as I always suspected they had a bad effect on my sleep and indeed my sleep did improve when I stopped.

How do YOU decide when you have suffered enough and when your suffering is more than quitting pot? Any thoughts most welcome.

Well I ended up answering this for myself. The wretchedness had gotten to a point where it made all the efforts of the quit unbearable. Going back on the anti D's has made a positive difference. I'm including this for the record because it seems that there are many of us who have that tricky assessment to make, about how much suffering is to be endured in the name of a quit. How much is the quit and how much is what will or is unable to ever change in terms of seritonin levels.

When not struggling with the 'wretchedness that has descended' I am able to be less self focused and more able to go with the flow of what is going on around me. That is such a relief.

It's a tough one to decide on but for now I will remain on it and then give it another go coming off after I have another six to twelve months of my quit under my belt.

Keep going everyone and , keep posting. Your strength is my strength too. Thanks for always being here.
reckoning

Previous