Declaring Independence from Marijuana and Alcohol

Postby EdiBee » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:06 am

Happy to read these good news JC!

It must be a good feeling to meet some potential romantic partner that is on the same path of sobriety as you. Personally, it has never happened to me neither, and I'd like to. It's like we are some extraterrestrial or something. But this sobriety, with all its true wisdom, I find it very exciting. It's like discovering a whole new world. I'd never thought, let say 6 months ago, that I would be saying this. Drug addict, alcoholic that I was. Now I can recognize that, and there was nothing "cool" about it. The truth is that I was lost, and now I feel I did lose a lot of time. But it does not work that way. Everything happens following its own rhythm. Today I am 4 months weed free and 2 months alcohol free. Huge milestones for me, for the guy that I was. We must be careful, it's a never ending battle.

I wish you the best.
Ed
EdiBee

Likes Received: 11

Postby SFGayMan30s » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:46 pm

Congratulations Ed. 4 months weed free and 2 months alcohol free is a big achievement. I am rooting for you too. Let's keep this journey going.

It's sounds like such a cliche, but it really is a journey, filled sometimes with beautiful places and sometimes filled with fast changing and anxiety filled moments. Maybe it's a virtual hiking the Appalachian trail, filled with beautiful prairies and gentle mountains, but also filled with fast-flowing rivers and bears from time to time. I guess then what this metaphor would imply is that we need good preparation for the journey, and a good guide would help. Maybe we also don't want to hike during winter!

JC
SFGayMan30s

Likes Received: 12

Postby SFGayMan30s » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:05 am

Hi Alex, Ed and other fellow humans.

It has been a while since I have posted in this forum. I am still very grateful for the support and camaraderie expressed here during our journeys.

I wanted to share a quick update on where I am with my journey:

I was doing very well (not smoking or drinking) last year from the beginning of the year until about the end of April. At that time there were some very challenging things happening at work, and I had a weak period where I started smoking pot again. Urgh. Yeah, and after this I started drinking. So I got back into it, rationalizing like always (it's just a little bit for a small period of time). Anyway, I had a couple of discontinuous months of sobriety from June to November, but I was finding myself going back to my old patterns of smoking and drinking.

I am very fortunate to have found a partner (the same one that I met back in March) that has been very supportive and understanding, and he has let me experience this journey of attempting to live a sober life and not getting it right. He has stuck with me, and I am very grateful for this. We have planted the seeds of love in our relationship, and I feel it growing more strong every day.

In mid November 2018 I had what I call my personal low, a personal rock bottom. This was all due to drinking and smoking pot. No one else found out about it, and I have not been able to share with anyone else. But I definitely knew that for me it was the very low that I needed to know that I don't ever want to be there again. Since then I have not had a drink or smoked pot. So, I'm about three months into this journey of new sobriety now.

My driving force for sobriety continues to be to live a better life, more awake and intentional, and also to do better at work. However, now I also have a great partner that I want to respect and grow with. I'm believing in myself that this time is different, and if it is not, I will pick myself up again and keep on trying. But I don't crave going back to the low place ever again.

So, things are looking up. I hope that you all are doing well, and I send blessings to you all.
SFGayMan30s

Postby asgoodasitgets » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:58 am

Hello SFGayMan30s:

It is truly a blessing to hear from you. I am elated to hear about your new relationship and that you are doing well. Relapse is definitely a part of the journey, so don't be too hard on yourself. I am sorry to hear that you hit a personal low but, again, it's great to hear things have smoothed out a bit.

I hear what you are saying in regards to living a more intentional life. This is the same reason that I originally quit and remain in that state of mind. Today is 380 days since I quit cannabis. Alcohol was never a real problem for me, it's definitely not my drug of choice. Please keep fighting the good fight. I can tell through your introspective words that you are a very analytical, good person. It gives me strength and courage to hear back from you. I am sending you blessings right back! Please know that I am only a message away if you ever need anything. Lots of love, hope, inspiration, peace, and clarity coming your way!!! :)

All the best,

Alex
asgoodasitgets

Likes Received: 99

Postby SFGayMan30s » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:46 pm

380 days ALEX! Well done. I am so happy to hear that from you. I can't wait to share my 380 days drug free with you.

How do you feel now? How has been your journey? I am interested to hear about the changes in your thinking and life after hitting six months sober.

Thank you for kind words Alex.

I send a huge hug your way.

Congratulations again!

JC
SFGayMan30s

Previous