Will the brain recover after weed abuse ?

Postby Koril » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:21 am

I’ve been smoking weed for about 10 years plus . Started when I was 16 and got into being a really heavy user when I was 18. I have stopped smoking for about 3-4 months now . Will I ever get back to normal .? Brain functions etc ? Currently having issues with anxiety , depression and massive brain fog’s. Am unable to recall a lot of memories and it’s also really hard for me to find the proper words to say and socializing has been a big pain .
Koril

Likes Received: 1

Postby asgoodasitgets » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:38 am

I'm not an MD or psychologist, this is just my opinion based on personal experiences and the experience of others. I would say, absolutely yes, the brain will and can recover. I just re-quit weed. In 2011 I managed to quit and stay quit for 3 solid years. I believe I started feeling really good around 6 months and then was completely almost "normal," whatever that means, at about a full year. This is generally what others tend to report here on the forums. If you had anxiety and depression prior to smoking, you will most likely continue to experience them. That said, they will become more and more tolerable and your brain and body will continue to learn how to process emotions and life clearly each day.

Keep up the good fight and don't lie to yourself and think that you have passed the point of no return, because you haven't. Your body is remarkable and healing each day. Try some meditation or behavioral therapy to help combat the anxiety and depression when they present themselves. Exercise also works wonder in terms of burning off negative energy and generating the "feel-good" chemicals that make us happy. Stay busy and repeat positive and reaffirming statements to yourself: "I am healing each day" or "the anxiety I feel is a sign that my body is healing." There are also several free apps available that provide free guided meditation....these can help you control your breathing and flow of thoughts....which can decrease both of those negative pesky things you mentioned. Hope this helps! :) Best of luck and talk soon. All the best.

-Alex
asgoodasitgets

Likes Received: 100

Postby Koril » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:18 am

Thank you so much for the taking the time to reply to my question , Alex . It means a whole lot to know am not the only one who’s trying to make a change . I just want to feel normal again . Feel that I've got so much potential but am not fully utilizing my skills . I hope someday I’ll return to normal and proceed to living a good life . Cheers to being sober and making an impact to the community by helping others in need .
Koril

Likes Received: 1

Postby dariaengse » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:22 pm

I think so. Smoked from 16-23 myself and quit 7,5 months ago. Still having issues, but have also experienced a lot of healing, especially when it comes to short term memory. But I think the memories from the years I smoked every day will always be blurry because of the shattered memory I always had in the moment. I can remember stuff from before age 16 really well and also from the last 7 months, but my memories from age 16-23 are very broken
dariaengse

Likes Received: 8