Question for long time quitters...

Postby exstonerinhell » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:18 am

Hi guys,

My biggest concern in my quit about 3-4 months in is my inability to do the things I once enjoyed. I'm afraid I've completely fried my dopamine receptors and that I'll never enjoy watching a movie, reading a book, or doing anything again. It's severely freaking me out right now and is causing me a lot of distress.

I'm just wondering at what point could you feel 'pleasure' again, or did it never leave you? Thank you for your time.
exstonerinhell

Likes Received: 71

Postby asgoodasitgets » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:52 am

Hey buddy I just wanted to let you know that your interests and passions should start returning eventually... For example I like to make music for a hobby and in my first week I almost sold all of my equipment that it took me forever to gather... I'm so happy I didn't, not to say I'm completely healed but it's definitely a lot better than it was... Just take it easy I feel like this has to do with chemicals in the brain ... weed is an instant pleasure inducing activity... Thing is, being able to release those chemicals that quickly isn't normal... What's normal is to work hard for the satisfaction of pleasure... Just know it does better... take it a day at a time I hope this helps bud
asgoodasitgets

Likes Received: 98

Postby exstonerinhell » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:54 am

asgoodasitgets wrote:Hey buddy I just wanted to let you know that your interests and passions should start returning eventually... For example I like to make music for a hobby and in my first week I almost sold all of my equipment that it took me forever to gather... I'm so happy I didn't, not to say I'm completely healed but it's definitely a lot better than it was... Just take it easy I feel like this has to do with chemicals in the brain ... weed is an instant pleasure inducing activity... Thing is, being able to release those chemicals that quickly isn't normal... What's normal is to work hard for the satisfaction of pleasure... Just know it does better... take it a day at a time I hope this helps bud

That helps so much, thank you so much for taking the time to reply and alleviate some of my fears. This is super hard, harder than I ever imagined it could be and I appreciate your support so much. Literally teared up reading your message. Thank you so much, boss.
exstonerinhell

Postby asgoodasitgets » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:04 am

It takes time...I did it once before and lasted for a few years before somehow relapsing. I remember at 6 months I felt "great" and at a full year I felt "normal." And this is from a very compulsive, heavy smoker. The key is time, patience, endurance, and hard-work. I like to think of the quitting process as a bridge from where you stand today leading to where you want to be. The bridge may have potholes, traffic, yada-yada, but on the other side is your new life. Don't be scared of the journey, enjoy it. The human body is a miracle and is absolutely capable of repairing itself, just hang on and keep posting! :)

Off to bed, it's late in my neck of the woods. Blessings to you my friend, wipe those tears, it will get better I promise you this.
asgoodasitgets

Likes Received: 98

Postby Sweetdaddyjones » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:57 am

I quit almost 2 years ago... I have to agree it takes time. More for some depends on many things I think. I will say for me the first 8 months were a rough ride but things always gradually improved.

I will say now I enjoy everything I used to and more (now that I have extra time and money) I can't say that I never think about smoking... but the thought doesn't bother me anymore and has become very easy to dismiss.

Don't lose heart, I am sure that although time is moving for you very slowly right now. Things will get much better. You are on a journey of self discovery and improvement even though it may not seem like it now. In months from now you will be hard to remember what you even felt like right now.
You can do it I know you can... because I did it and I smoked daily for 25 years :D
Sweetdaddyjones

Likes Received: 22

Postby exstonerinhell » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:17 am

Sweetdaddyjones wrote:I quit almost 2 years ago... I have to agree it takes time. More for some depends on many things I think. I will say for me the first 8 months were a rough ride but things always gradually improved.

I will say now I enjoy everything I used to and more (now that I have extra time and money) I can't say that I never think about smoking... but the thought doesn't bother me anymore and has become very easy to dismiss.

Don't lose heart, I am sure that although time is moving for you very slowly right now. Things will get much better. You are on a journey of self discovery and improvement even though it may not seem like it now. In months from now you will be hard to remember what you even felt like right now.
You can do it I know you can... because I did it and I smoked daily for 25 years :D

Thank you so much for the support and alleviating some of my fears. It's also comforting to have someone who smoked more than me daily pop in and say they got past it. More than anything that's good to hear. I really, really, appreciate you dropping in and leaving this response.
exstonerinhell

Postby cleanofgreen » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:18 pm

Hi exstonerinhell,

It's different for everyone but for me it took at least 6 months before I started feeling better and probably 9 months to a year to feel normal. I smoked for over 24 years. I know exactly what your talking about by thinking you'll never enjoy anything again, but trust me you will.

I remember being out on my kayak fishing, something which I really love and catching loads of big fish at about month 5 and thinking wtf am I doing here, I knew I should be over the moon at such great fish and a beautiful day to boot, but got nothing from it and couldn't understand it. The brain will heal the longer you stay off it and everything you used to enjoy will be even more enjoyable. Stick with it, you'll get there.

Good luck and stay strong.
cleanofgreen

Likes Received: 126

Postby exstonerinhell » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:54 pm

cleanofgreen wrote:Hi exstonerinhell,

It's different for everyone but for me it took at least 6 months before I started feeling better and probably 9 months to a year to feel normal. I smoked for over 24 years. I know exactly what your talking about by thinking you'll never enjoy anything again, but trust me you will.

I remember being out on my kayak fishing, something which I really love and catching loads of big fish at about month 5 and thinking wtf am I doing here, I knew I should be over the moon at such great fish and a beautiful day to boot, but got nothing from it and couldn't understand it. The brain will heal the longer you stay off it and everything you used to enjoy will be even more enjoyable. Stick with it, you'll get there.

Good luck and stay strong.

cleanofgreen, thank you for the perspective and the kind words. I can't believe how depressed I am, I've never had this kind of depression/anxiety in my life, but I suppose I was dulling quite a few things with all the time I was abusing the 'harmless' drug. I'm going to stick with this no matter what, and thank you for the support.
exstonerinhell

Postby Transformer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:35 pm

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this buddy, I know exactly how you are feeling. The 3-6 month stretch is the hardest part, its when you feel the WORST!

All I can tell you is that it does come back!! Trust me!!

You'll eventually be doing the same activities you used to enjoy when you were high and but now straight and realise you like them just as much or if not more!! It happens to me all the time. Makes you feel like a bit of a twat because you think to yourself, 'Why did I ever need to be high to enjoy this in the first place?'.

All it takes is time my friend, just keep pushing through, you'll get there, it happens to everyone so dont think you're any different, you'll get there too! Hope you're doing ok!
Transformer

Likes Received: 6

Postby Transformer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:38 pm

Also sorry I can't reply to your DM ex! I can't access my inbox! I will when I can bud!
Transformer

Likes Received: 6

Postby exstonerinhell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:50 pm

Transformer wrote:Oh I'm so sorry to hear this buddy, I know exactly how you are feeling. The 3-6 month stretch is the hardest part, its when you feel the WORST!

All I can tell you is that it does come back!! Trust me!!

You'll eventually be doing the same activities you used to enjoy when you were high and but now straight and realise you like them just as much or if not more!! It happens to me all the time. Makes you feel like a bit of a twat because you think to yourself, 'Why did I ever need to be high to enjoy this in the first place?'.

All it takes is time my friend, just keep pushing through, you'll get there, it happens to everyone so dont think you're any different, you'll get there too! Hope you're doing ok!

Hey, man. Thanks so much for your input here. This is really, really hard, all I can feel right now is fear for my future and all I can do is obsess on these boards. I'm trying to imprint on my brain that recovery isn't a thinking thing it's a doing thing but I have 0 motivation. Just so, so down. I need to try to turn that around, will start doing what I can TO turn that around, just struggling so bad. :( But thank you, that helps me so much.
exstonerinhell

Postby Bagobones » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:50 am

exstonerinhell wrote: This is really, really hard, all I can feel right now is fear for my future and all I can do is obsess on these boards. I'm trying to imprint on my brain that recovery isn't a thinking thing it's a doing thing but I have 0 motivation.

Its two ways you stop obsess about this board and googling "quit weed, no motivation", "quit weed, no concentration", "quit weed, always depressed etc etc etc... I obsessed and pretty much everybody that struggled with paws obsessed.

The first one is relapsing and going back to your old ways.

The second one is just you get straight. If you see the quit journals here (including mine), pretty much all of them stop around the one year mark. I know why, because I stopped posting too. Its because your back to normal, and suddently you lose all interest in the quit, and you get on with life. It happens to everybody.

Keep going and keep doing what you are doing. Take babysteps in the right direction. Do the things all of us are talking about. Start eating healthy, work out and all that. The benefits will come later, and they will come strong and good. And try not to beat yourself up so much. While you are down feeling like sh**, everybody else is really, really happy for you and proud of you..

It might not seem that way right now, but everybody is secretly wanting you to win.

Now, go get `em tiger...
Bagobones

Likes Received: 99

Postby exstonerinhell » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:02 am

Bagobones wrote:
exstonerinhell wrote: This is really, really hard, all I can feel right now is fear for my future and all I can do is obsess on these boards. I'm trying to imprint on my brain that recovery isn't a thinking thing it's a doing thing but I have 0 motivation.

Its two ways you stop obsess about this board and googling "quit weed, no motivation", "quit weed, no concentration", "quit weed, always depressed etc etc etc... I obsessed and pretty much everybody that struggled with paws obsessed.

The first one is relapsing and going back to your old ways.

The second one is just you get straight. If you see the quit journals here (including mine), pretty much all of them stop around the one year mark. I know why, because I stopped posting too. Its because your back to normal, and suddently you lose all interest in the quit, and you get on with life. It happens to everybody.

Keep going and keep doing what you are doing. Take babysteps in the right direction. Do the things all of us are talking about. Start eating healthy, work out and all that. The benefits will come later, and they will come strong and good. And try not to beat yourself up so much. While you are down feeling like sh**, everybody else is really, really happy for you and proud of you..

It might not seem that way right now, but everybody is secretly wanting you to win.

Now, go get `em tiger...

Man, I really appreciate you chiming in and giving me some advice. I'm struggling bad, reading through your own journal seems like you got through it with a great amount of strength and positivity. I just feel completely lifeless at the moment, not even living, just struggling to survive. It's insane how bad I feel, I thought I had a brain tumor or something but all the Doctor's I've seen say I'm in good health, just anxious. But the world just is this crazy place to me now.
exstonerinhell

Postby Bagobones » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:44 am

You know, about 3 months into my quit I was hanging out in a town called Davao City. I was hanging with a really crazy woman from there. We where waiting for the boat. All around us was anti terror military with bomb sniffer dogs. The crazy woman, miss T, is beautiful. I had the most sexy woman by my side. Sooooo cool too. Just a perfect side kick. It was like 6 a.m in the morning, and we where heading out to the beaches to do some scuba diving.

All I could think about that day was how missrable I was feeling. Standing in a place where it was a clear terror threat, and I felt nothing. A beautiful woman that did all the cool stuff (surfing, diving etc.) by my side, and i felt nothing. Yoga in paradise and i felt nothing. Breathtaking beaches, and I felt nothing.
Miss T was pushing me along. Forcing me along. She never stopped smiling and being stoked. Talking about the scuba spot she was going to show me and fantasizing about the big chicken dinner we where going to eat at night on the island we where heading to. Her big, black eyes was so happy, alive and vivd.

After that day Miss T could not stop talking about it. It was her best day ever. Still to this day she talks about it.

I got a pic from that day. Miss T sitting in front of a fishing boat we got to drive us out to the islands.. Now one year and 3 months later, with a normal head and normal "happy" chemicals in my body, I agree with her. It was the best, most beautiful day ever. Looking at that pic I get a warm nice feeling in my belly, I feel so lucky to know miss T (she is a very private young lady), and I have so very good memories from that day. In many ways it was just perfect! I just did not know it at the time. I love that pic so much now...

My point is do stuff. Go out and make some memories. It doesnt have to be a big thing like traveling to foreign shores. Because one of those lousy, shitty detox days, might end up being the best day of your life.
Bagobones

Likes Received: 99

Postby exstonerinhell » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Bagobones wrote:You know, about 3 months into my quit I was hanging out in a town called Davao City. I was hanging with a really crazy woman from there. We where waiting for the boat. All around us was anti terror military with bomb sniffer dogs. The crazy woman, miss T, is beautiful. I had the most sexy woman by my side. Sooooo cool too. Just a perfect side kick. It was like 6 a.m in the morning, and we where heading out to the beaches to do some scuba diving.

All I could think about that day was how missrable I was feeling. Standing in a place where it was a clear terror threat, and I felt nothing. A beautiful woman that did all the cool stuff (surfing, diving etc.) by my side, and i felt nothing. Yoga in paradise and i felt nothing. Breathtaking beaches, and I felt nothing.
Miss T was pushing me along. Forcing me along. She never stopped smiling and being stoked. Talking about the scuba spot she was going to show me and fantasizing about the big chicken dinner we where going to eat at night on the island we where heading to. Her big, black eyes was so happy, alive and vivd.

After that day Miss T could not stop talking about it. It was her best day ever. Still to this day she talks about it.

I got a pic from that day. Miss T sitting in front of a fishing boat we got to drive us out to the islands.. Now one year and 3 months later, with a normal head and normal "happy" chemicals in my body, I agree with her. It was the best, most beautiful day ever. Looking at that pic I get a warm nice feeling in my belly, I feel so lucky to know miss T (she is a very private young lady), and I have so very good memories from that day. In many ways it was just perfect! I just did not know it at the time. I love that pic so much now...

My point is do stuff. Go out and make some memories. It doesnt have to be a big thing like traveling to foreign shores. Because one of those lousy, shitty detox days, might end up being the best day of your life.

You're amazing, man. Thank you.
exstonerinhell

Next

Return to Addictions