I Still Have An Imaginary Friend, Is That Bad?

Postby hintofpink » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:08 pm

When I was a child I was bullied by multiple kids at school because of an incident that happened to me. I was unable to make friends and spent my days alone. So around the age of eight I took one of the characters from a movie I liked at the time called "The Little Vampire" and made him into my imaginary friend. His name is Rudolph or Rudy for short. We did everything together and often times I would sit alone and talk with him at lunch or when I had spare time on my hands. He disappeared my fifth grade year and I didn't think of him for awhile as I was finally able to make a friend. When I entered eighth grade the bulling situation escalated to violence and depression and Rudy came back into my thought process. I would have dreams about him comforting me, and I honestly believe if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be alive today. Since then wherever my depressed gets extremely bad he visits me in my dreams. I understand he isn't real but a part of me has to wonder if this is okay or acceptable. There is also a part of me that loves him and if I had the opportunity to make him real I would take that chance. He grew up with me and helped me through some of the hardest times of my life. My girlfriend is okay with him, and she understands why he still hangs around.

Anyway, the reason I'm here is to ask a question. Is it okay that my imaginary friend still hangs around? I understand he isn't a real person, but in a way to me he is very real. I'll have realistic dreams about him and even though my emotional state isn't the greatest right now the only times I feel completely happy are either with him or my girlfriend. I'm sorry for the long post, I just thought I'd get this off my chest.
hintofpink

Likes Received: 0

Postby Translucent » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:38 am

In my opinion it is perfectly ok.
Translucent

Likes Received: 14

Postby Candid » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:25 am

As long as your imaginary friend loves you unconditionally and encourages you in times of stress, he's doing great. It would be a crime to dismiss him!
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 301

Postby Livetowin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:33 pm

Your "friend" is your own inner voice speaking to you. I can understand how that might manifest itself as a special friend when you were very young. But now that you are getting older and can understand more complex equations to life, you need to start looking in the mirror and realize that is you trying to sort things out for yourself. That can be a very effective tool for you now. But it's time for that friend to gain a real identity. It's always been you and you deserve to be heard. You count. You matter. Start filtering everything through that inner voice but realize it is you doing for yourself. You have merit. You have worth. Be proud of yourself and remember everything starts with you first. It's time to take that next step and evolve. You are ready. I wish you all the best. Believe in yourself and that voice will grow stronger.
Livetowin
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 83

Postby laureat » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:28 am

imaginary friend

i believe: ppl who have a fantasy world is like using drugs, it makes you feel good at the moment but it has later consequences when you dont get used with reality

if i can have my imaginary girlfriend, my imaginary ferrari, my imaginary home, my imaginary money, why would i ever come back to reality, but simply enjoy imagination?

that is not good for the long terms as you better enjoy the real life you have, focus on the real life, do real things, and make a real progress, make a real success, instead of a shortcut imaginary success
laureat

Likes Received: 110

Postby Tessiegirl33 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:03 am

This is the first time I've ever said this to anyone. But I've had an imaginary friend for years and years. Recently it has been since my divorce. I totally created a person based out of 2 characters on a TV show I was attracted to. I acted out my life with him--only at home, never any where else. And it has gotten bigger as I created a family and friends. I live alone, my children never call me or visit me....I could very well be the story you read about in the paper of a person dying and finding them years later all decomposed. I try to make friends, but they seem to all have their own lives and things to do and they just fall away. I'm totally aware of what is real and not real. There are times I don't get my housework done as I'm busy "pretending" with "him"....but then we do it together and it's not so hard. I think it's because I'm so lonely.
I have a super huge imagination. I always have since I was a little girl. I thought about channeling all this imagination and creativity into writing a story or a book.
But for now, it feels kind of crazy to just admit this here.
Tessiegirl33

Postby Candid » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:29 am

Why not write the story or book? If you join a local writers' group, so much the better.
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 301

Postby ElizaStone » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:16 pm

Do you actually see him?
ElizaStone