Why and how are people on the internet mean?

Postby Egg000 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:56 pm

I noticed that many people on the internet have absolutely no qualms about saying something negative/hurtful. I get that we're all faceless strangers, but I don't get how that is a reason to say the things people say.

From my perspective, we're all humans who desire good things for ourselves like happiness. I'm acutely aware that the people on the other end are somebody's daughter/son. Even if I thought nothing I could say would hurt them, I wouldn't say mean things because I think it would just hurt me, and would benefit absolutely nobody. Why don't others have the same thought process?

When do people say these things, who do they believe they are benefitting?

I never thought of myself as an empath; I think I'm just a reasonable, fairly logical person.

So what is the difference between me and these people? Is there something wrong with them? Is there something wrong with me?
Egg000

Likes Received: 0

Postby laureat » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:27 pm

ppl can become frustrated but mask it when outside because nobody wants problems or a bad reputation,

the difference is because there are more sensitive ppl who can easier get hurt, frustrated and hate, and even try to be bad
laureat

Likes Received: 110

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Egg000 wrote: I think I'm just a reasonable, fairly logical person.

So what is the difference between me and these people? Is there something wrong with them? Is there something wrong with me?

There is nothing wrong, rather I would encourage you to test each of your assumptions. Specifically, I would test your assumptions regarding the purpose and manner of public forums.

My guess is that you are not mentally framing the Internet as the town square, where people go and stand in front of the community and declare to the entire world, "I believe in XYZ!"

Instead, you are probably doing what many people do and are mentally framing any online discussion in terms of some small private group. In here, it is very common for people to conceptualize the discussions as some form of private therapy session.

For instance, I'm not having a discussion with you. I'm having a discussion with the public. What I say is to express my beliefs, which might not necessarily be aligned with the opinions or beliefs of every member of the public.

You can imagine as in any public forum, discussions can sometimes get heated. You can have hecklers in the crowd, sometimes trolls that express their dissent, jeering and booing the speaker. You can also have those in the crowd supporting, clapping, cheering on the person that is expressing things with which they agree.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 997

Postby Livetowin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Unfortunately what you see are addictions to bad behavior that has embedded itself into our modern culture. Keyboard warriors, as many like to call them, are people who exercise zero tact and speak mindless dribble in an effort to exorcise their endless insecurities that consume them. For some who're unhappy with their life, it's far easier to come home and take that out on a complete stranger whom they don't have to answer to than to rationalize the problem being themselves.

The same goes for demonstrations as well. If phones were taken away tomorrow, you would find almost zero engagement from anyone to stand for something if it couldn't be posted and performed for their friends online. It's a sad footnote to society today, but unfortunately its a hard truth that some are beginning to wake up to. I'm glad you took notice. Lets hope that's a trend for your peers and others around you. Tolerance has become nearly extinct because there's too many people spewing divisive language online who have nothing better to do with their lives than spread hate. Now we have world leaders trying to invade that conversation and weaponize it. Yes, there IS a problem and it's the people consumed with with hatred and aggression that need to be addressed. Perhaps social media is a flawed idea? Something to think about.
Livetowin
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 83