17 Months off the Herb

Postby Backatit » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:46 am

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to check in here for a quick update. I just passed the 17-month mark, and I'm feeling pretty good. I am not one of those people that recovers from PAWS in 8 months or 12 even months apparently, but I am hoping that the 2 years mark will be my finish line.
A quick bit about me: I'm 43, started smoking at 14. I started quitting at 18, but never made it longer than 6 months. The first time I quit was the worst, and I remember thinking if I ever had to do it again I would get on anti-depressants, but I never did. That cycle of quitting, getting happy and healthy, and then thinking, 'oh, I can smoke like a normal person now' went on until I was 32. Then I quit once again, same old story - but this time I desperately searched for something non-chemical to support me, and I started an intensive meditation practice.
The practice and spiritual study really helped, I met the girl of my dreams and fell in love, and everything was on the up and up. Unfortunately life kept throwing curve balls at me, I had some very weird side effects from my intense meditation practice that freaked me out, my gf broke up with me, and I hit a trifecta of financial implosions that left me broke, severely in debt, and on the verge of losing my house and then some. I also started smoking again.
That lasted until 17 months ago. I had been smoking loads of wax (to, uh, be healthy) and my tolerance was insane. I'd get high all day every day, and was pretty high functioning (or so I thought) running three businesses and working constantly and making decent money, having dug myself out of the financial abyss I was facing and being successful at keeping my home and growing my businesses.
The road to recovery had been extremely slow but mostly steady, and this time I'm done for good. The PAWS waves still hit from time to time (I mostly slept all day yesterday) but the downs are much fewer and further between, consistently - I can see improvement in the overall pattern anyway.
Some tips that have helped me out: diet - I went WFPD (whole food plant based) about seven months ago. No dairy, not much oil, and no meat. I noticed positive physical changes, the biggest being that I smell a lot better lol. Intermittent fasting has the be the biggest booster of mood for me. It's not a silver bulet but I notice that if I don't eat until 1pm or so I have more energy and motivation throughout the day. I also need to lose some weight, so that's one of the current projects.
I still have lots of improvement to make, exercise, being social, but I see the future as bright. It's nice to not rely on a drug for peace of mind. It feels good to be healthy and have no external crutches. I don't have to fake like I'm paying attention and it doesn't happen anymore when I'm part way through a sentence and just completely forget what I'm talking about (that used to happen a lot).
My biggest advice to all you guys out there that are in your first 6 months or so is keep at it. Let all the other self improvement projects fade if you have to and just focus on not smoking. Go easy on yourself if you eat like sh** or you aren't exercising - there will be plenty of time later to build on your success from quitting the weed. Let yourself feel proud and a sense of accomplishment. It's always better to deal with this now than to keep kicking the can down the road more and more. Your future self will thank you :)
Backatit

Likes Received: 7

Postby Bagobones » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:17 am

Backatit wrote:I'm 43, started smoking at 14. I started quitting at 18,

hehe. Funny.

Your same age as me. And we must have about the same timeline. I think I quitted a little bit before you. I stopped counting a long time ago. Do you still have PAWS? Thats also over along time ago for me.

Good luck, and thank you for posting your progress... Out of curiosity, have you talked to a doctor about the PAWS?
Bagobones

Likes Received: 137

Postby Coldturkey2018 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:28 am

I think the worst part of the paws has got to be the depression part of it I’m at about 2 months and a half now and some days I feel pretty good but other days I’m just drained, and on the good days i start to feel pretty tired around after supper which is also a bit of a downside at times since I’m trying to keep a sleep schedule going I hate paws but I know we will get through it.
Coldturkey2018

Likes Received: 6

Postby InkChalk » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:02 am

My biggest advice to all you guys out there that are in your first 6 months or so is keep at it. Let all the other self improvement projects fade if you have to and just focus on not smoking. Go easy on yourself if you eat like sh** or you aren't exercising - there will be plenty of time later to build on your success from quitting the weed. Let yourself feel proud and a sense of accomplishment. It's always better to deal with this now than to keep kicking the can down the road more and more. Your future self will thank you :)

I wish somebody told me this 6 months ago. That's some good solid advice.
Good write up, it's nice to read a success story from someone so far along the road.
All the best mate.
InkChalk

Likes Received: 11