My brain feels blocked

Postby TestAcc1 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:08 pm

So I found some similar posts from 2013 I believe it was and thought this forum might have something to offer me.

I’ve been feeling this for 4 years now, something called derealization/depersonalization. I say that because that’s what matches my symptoms. I basically look myself in a mirror and feel that it isn’t me, it’s someone else.. I look around me and I feel detached, I look at my arm, hand, foot or anything on my body but it doesn’t feel like my body parts.

I recently got told by a counselor that I suffer from social anxiety which is true but I don’t know if that’s what causes this..I can only say that my mind is always blank, foggy and I need to repeat my thoughts several times.. Im worried that I’m getting Alzheimer’s or a brain tumor. Yes, even at home.

Very recently, we are talking about a few weeks, I’ve been having the desire to get smarter and improve my life. One such thing is reading books that I have interest in but I feel incapable of learning and understanding which makes me feel I’m going full retard and that I soon won’t know the simplest math equation... I’m having trouble remembering stuff that happened seconds ago.

That’s some backstory to it all, feel free to ask questions if You need.

It’s very annoying and I don’t want to live like this.. It’s terrible according to me.. I want to feel and know that I store new memories, I want to know that my brain learns new stuff, I want me and my surroundings to feel real...

Please come with everything that might seem helpful.
TestAcc1

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu May 03, 2018 9:22 pm

TestAcc1 wrote:I’ve been feeling this for 4 years now, something called derealization/depersonalization. I say that because that’s what matches my symptoms.

...which makes me feel I’m going full retard and that I soon won’t know the simplest math equation... I’m having trouble remembering stuff that happened seconds ago.

I want to know that my brain learns new stuff, I want me and my surroundings to feel real...

What does your counselor recommend?
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1020

Postby TestAcc1 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:39 pm

Like said, he got to the point where he diagnosed it as social anxiety. He should be finished soon with his medical referral or however you say it in English where I will start going to some rehabilitation (???) I suppose you can say. I believe it will be focused on CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) but I’m not sure. He will contact me with an appointment where I will get some more insight of how it Will go
TestAcc1

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu May 03, 2018 9:48 pm

Then I would listen to your counselor.

Strangers in a forum giving you unqualified opinions based on a few paragraphs of information will distract you from focusing on what a professional that has seen you face to face is telling you.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby TestAcc1 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:26 am

Could these “unreal” feelings and my mind feeling blocked be caused of my social anxiety? I bet there’s lots of social anxiety out there and so it must be some experience about this.

I will ask my counselor this too but that’s only 1 person.
TestAcc1

Postby Candid » Fri May 04, 2018 7:12 am

Overwhelming anxiety leads to incessant rumination that makes it difficult to focus. I hope your counsellor will teach you some self-soothing techniques such as deep breathing.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-an ... ndfulness/
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 318

Postby DrPsychFeels » Sun May 06, 2018 7:57 pm

TestAcc1 wrote:Could these “unreal” feelings and my mind feeling blocked be caused of my social anxiety? I bet there’s lots of social anxiety out there and so it must be some experience about this.

This isn't social anxiety but it is one manifestation of anxiety (often caused by trauma). A low-grade version of this is apathy.

I'd talk to your counselor about possibly going to therapy for trauma specifically.
DrPsychFeels

Likes Received: 8

Postby TestAcc1 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:17 pm

I see.. So basically the cause of this is not my social anxiety per se but the bullying I experienced for several years?

Me being bullied is the main cause and my social anxiety, how do you say it... was just there and made it worse.
TestAcc1

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sun May 06, 2018 9:13 pm

TestAcc1 wrote:...So basically the cause of this is not my social anxiety per se but the bullying I experienced for several years?

This is a good question for your counselor. When is your next appointment?
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby TestAcc1 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:24 pm

It’s unclear at the moment.

I wrote a reply but it doesn’t seem like it got posted.. I will probably have to write it again. Post has some new information.
TestAcc1

Postby Candid » Mon May 07, 2018 7:54 am

Bullying has a lot of ramifications. It attacks and isolates, makes people question their own worthiness. I'm sorry you went through that.
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 318

Postby HumanB » Mon May 07, 2018 9:49 pm

TestAcc1 wrote:I’ve been feeling this for 4 years now

How did you first notice this / how did it first happen? Was it a sudden onset? Can you link it to an illness / viral infection that you had at that time?
HumanB

Likes Received: 11

Postby TestAcc1 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:09 pm

So..

A very short version is I clearly have social anxiety, I was bullied for several years, I then got depression to the point where I thought of writing a goodbye letter to my family.

This experience of bullying/depression is something that will make me cry for sure because it’s horrible and not only for me. But I am glad I didn’t take my life. I’ve learned a lot from this and hopefully I can make a change for the better for someone out there having a hard time. I’m glad for having experienced this with other words.

And so.. Social anxiety together with bullying is not a good combination.. Maybe today it would’ve looked different but at the time of the bullying I just took the hits.. I didn’t dare to do anything about it, afraid of making it worse.

I want to give you a story on how I realized these “unreal” feelings down below.

Can this sort of stuff be categorized as “Trauma”?

I was at a party one night, my first drinking experience. I wake up in the morning and feel that something is wrong but I couldn’t put my finger on it until later that day, everything felt unreal. And since then I have had these feelings which again, gets less “intense” when I drink. So I believe that my first drinking experience was my wake up call for a problem and I must have lived with this for a unknown period of time. Read carefully. I’m saying that if I go and drink moderately now, my unreal feelings will drop a bit.

All answers are appreciated.

Note: I’m not addicted to alcohol, nicotine or any similar as I’ve read they make it worse and I’m fully dedicated to solving my problem.
TestAcc1