Help ! Quitting Weed after 17yrs Daily Use

Postby ChristinefromAUST » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:28 am

HI all. I'm really glad to have found this website, as I have been looking for some support whilst going through withdrawals !! So I have smoked daily for 17yrs (at my worst smoking half ounce per week) I decided to give it up due to mental health, lung issues and to save $$ .. Im not anti-cannabis Im just anti 'smoking'.. because it's illegal in Aust its very expensive, so most of us mix it with tobacco = really bad for the lungs. I'm on day 15 of my withdrawal, I've had lots of issues, really bad insomnia, which has now resolved and turned into just wanting to sleep all the time ! have been dreaming so much that it's actually becoming exhausting, I'm waking up so tired, but first time I've dreamt in probably 17yrs !! In the last couple of days I have become quite sick with some type of virus, like I've got a really bad flu, night sweats, no appetite, no desire to get out of bed or do anything, I just want to sleep and cry. One of the reasons I gave up smoking is because I was starting to suffer quite severe Anxiety attacks every time I smoked, it was like my body was forcing me to give it up, so I've listened, but now I feel like I'm getting depression, I'm questioning everything, my whole life, even my relationship with my partner, I feel I don't even know who I am, what I want in life or what makes me happy, Im so apathetic towards everything and its scaring me. I took holidays from work for 2wks while I begin the process, but I'm returning to my crappy job in 2 days, I know it's going to be challenging for me but I'm more determined than I have ever been in my life and honestly don't even miss smoking, so I think this time Im going to succeed this time ! I just feel really down and like I've got no support and like nobody understands and I've got nobody to talk to about it, there are literally no support groups in Aust for this, my partner has a 'you'll be right' attitude, it will pass, I don't think he quite realises how serious this is and just how bad I'm feeling. I'm wondering if anybody has any tips they can give me for my recovery to make things easier ? Any supplements, amino acids, etc proven to help ? And I would love to hear from anybody else who has come through withdrawals after smoking for a really long time, or anybody that can offer me any type of support would be really appreciated. Cheers, Christine.
ChristinefromAUST

Likes Received: 6

Postby Bagobones » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:14 am

ChristinefromAUST wrote: I don't think he quite realises how serious this is and just how bad I'm feeling. I'm wondering if anybody has any tips they can give me for my recovery to make things easier ? Any supplements, amino acids, etc proven to help ? And I would love to hear from anybody else who has come through withdrawals after smoking for a really long time, or anybody that can offer me any type of support would be really appreciated. Cheers, Christine.

Hi there. This forum is full of people that has struggled bad and come back happy and healthy after long time struggling. Its just very hard to see it when we are so down as you seem to be. I am one, and i smoked longer than you...

Its alot of smart people that have researched this, and no, its just the good old training, eating healthy, meditating and time, that I have found. Some has had good benefits by going to the doctor and getting SSRi. Anti depression pills. I had a bit of a bad experience with it, but others have had success..

And this one is controversial, but i will mention it. CBD. its from the same plant as you are running away from, but I cant deny that people are having success with it..

And good luck.. I believe in you. I have researched long and far, and about everybody that stays sober gets good again. It just takes time, and its hell from time to time, with no set deadline when you will be 100% again. You just have to muscle it out and believe in the process.. :)
Bagobones

Likes Received: 99

Postby ChristinefromAUST » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:41 am

I'm up to day 23 now I'm still doing really well :D :D doctor tried me on an ssri bUT it made me really sick after 1 day !! I've started taking a very low dose of mirtazapine 7.5mgs seems to have knocked the insomnia, sweating and nausea on the head !! Have also.stated YoGA and do meditation when I can :D
ChristinefromAUST

Likes Received: 6

Postby Bagobones » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:48 am

ChristinefromAUST wrote:I'm up to day 23 now I'm still doing really well :D :D doctor tried me on an ssri bUT it made me really sick after 1 day !! I've started taking a very low dose of mirtazapine 7.5mgs seems to have knocked the insomnia, sweating and nausea on the head !! Have also.stated YoGA and do meditation when I can :D

Interesting! 23 days. pat yourself on the back! I am proud of you... So your doing good! :) Any symptoms now? No tired? What positive have you experienced with your 23 days
Meditation and yoga. So very very nice! What kind of yoga do you do?
Bagobones

Likes Received: 99

Postby reckoning » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:02 pm

Welcome ChristinefromAUST, we hail form the same part of the world. Yoga and meditation is the way to go. Congrats on your 23 days. I found it really up and down in the beginning of this quit- I'm almost 6 months in after a twenty year habit and several unsuccessful quits.

Just curious if your partner smokes too? Mine did and that unravelled me every time over the years, over the quits. I could sustain a quit for periods of time but eventually when life got tough -there it was all on hand. This quit I've left my long term relationship of 14 years and the difference in managing this quit has been really impactful , not living with it in such close proximity to it. My partner was not interested in quitting .

I agree there are really no services , and very limited easily accessible groups for getting support here in Oz. I've found staying connected to this site , posting and supporting others is key to keeping me on track and motivated about the really big changes in my life.

Now and slowly over time there are benefits emerging but it has taken a while. The meditation especially has really helped me to tackle some serious internal thinking formations -knots really which developed alongside with the long term smoking. I'm in the process of unravelling a number of those still. In the beginning my focus was to use the mediations to manage the physical side of things but the internal stuff has needed my attention to , big time at the moment. My GP has been great but even then they don't really get the seriousness of what some of us are dealing with, especially if you've seemingly held a functional life together.

I have been taking anti depressants for about as long as I had been smoking and I am giving life a go without those now and not sure- the jury is out for me if this is working or not. In some ways it feels hard without the anit-depressants, I get weepy, but in others I feel like I can get to those knotted internal formations better. Keep going, keep posting, love to follow your progress. cheers Liz
reckoning

Likes Received: 56