Hypnotized to believe in God, etc.

Postby lazurm » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:14 pm

Anyone ever hear of an atheist being hypnotized to believe in God and become a regular Church goer? I heard it had happened decades ago and, yes, on YouTube there are some examples...all very short term. The decades ago example had the subject getting into it so much the hypnotist had to "unhypnotize" all the suggestions out of the subject! But, this was a long time ago and the only example I've seen, in terms of the affect lasting any length of time.

Add to this that the subject wants to be a believer.

Any thoughts and/or experiences?
lazurm

Likes Received: 0

Postby Hypnoboy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:15 am

is that on youtube?

Is it different from the Derren Brown video about this subject?
Hypnoboy
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 2

Postby lazurm » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:45 pm

No, the old one I was referring to was from well over 60 years ago, published from a university paper. Based on the paragraph written about it in the paper I read, the subject had to be hypnotized again to return to their original status. They had been going to Church and became a rather intense believer.

Hypnoboy wrote:is that on youtube?

Is it different from the Derren Brown video about this subject?
lazurm

Postby jimmyh » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:56 pm

I did some half-assed (and not very nice) experiments back in the day, and while it did work, people tended to revert to their old religion after a couple months (though sometimes losing unimportant or harmful details along the way).

If the subject wants to be a believer, long term things get much easier. However, as I've discussed on this forum before, people don't always understand what they really want, and that can come in and make things more difficult. Why does the subject want to believe?
jimmyh
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 19

Postby laureat » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:03 pm

dont complicate something which is very simple

if someone believes in God, there is always a possibility to convince him there is no God, and vice versa, by simply showing him something that he trusts

however somebody may have more information than you do and you cannot convince him rather if there is a God or not as he knows more about the opposite belief

one or another doesnt mean to be wrong , its a belief
laureat

Likes Received: 110

Postby lazurm » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:56 pm

jimmyh: Sorry for the long wait to reply. He wants to be a "believer" because his fiance is and he thinks it will bring him closer to her. Additionally, he's been jealous of the peace believers have (as he sees it) and wants the same but not to think of it as self delusion. He's been doing prays for belief and considers that a form of self hypnosis.
lazurm